Printing today!
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Quote:

beanbandit wrote:
    as for supporting printers... there is always CuPS.
    considering the amount of OS'es that it has been ported to (including the current maintainters Apple's MacOS X), it shouldn't be too hard to implement on mos either (probably a lot easier than implementing 3D-Layers). It would perhaps not necessarily be compatible with the old printing system... but then it shouldn't be too hard to make a CUPS printer.device driver for either MorphOS or TP after the fact so to speak.

Any good news to get my HP LaserJet 1020 printer to work under Morphos 2.x ?
    I unsuccessfully tried with Ghostscript 8.70 but it seems that my printer is not a PostScript one :-(
    Poseidon correctly detect the printer but no way to get it work with Turboprint drivers!
    Here is poseidon log:

0-poseidon.library: Device 'HP LaserJet 1020' says it is currently bus-powered. Fixing config.
    0-hub.class: Detected device 'HP LaserJet 1020' at port 2. I like it.
    0-hub.class: Hub has added 2 device(s). That'll be fun!
    0-massstorage.class: Postconfig patchflags 0x0342 ModeXLate FixInq36 SimpleSCSI NoReset.
    0-massstorage.class: MSD 'little disk' LUN 0 available through usbscsi.device unit 0!
    0-printer.class: Please welcome 'HP LaserJet 1020' to the family at usbparallel.device unit 0!
    0-printer.class: Look at this: 'MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP LaserJet 1020;CMD:ACL;CLS:PRINTER;DES:HP LaserJet 1020;

The same printer usb 2.0 connected regularly works under OS X Tiger booted from molk and under Ubuntu 8.10 or Opensuse 11.1.

Any help (CuPS port included) would be more appreciated...
    Tnx,
    AKiLL
  • »02.12.09 - 22:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I unsuccessfully tried with Ghostscript 8.70 but it seems
    > that my printer is not a PostScript one

Right, no PS support in LaserJet 1020. But, GS has built-in drivers for LaserJet 1100 (ljet4) and LaserJet 1200 (laserjet). Maybe one of them supports the 1020 as well.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/printer.htm
  • »03.12.09 - 01:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Want a retard answer? Here's one: Given today's absolutely insane prices for printers, have you considered buying a new, compatible one?
    Some people throw away the whole printer when its cartridge or toner gets empty. Or when they discover that it's more of a burden buying the consumable than the whole machine.
  • »03.12.09 - 08:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Want a retard answer?

It is not so retard as it may seem. AFAIK LaserJet 1020 is a cheap GDI printer (so-called Winprinter) and it even has no PCL language (which is a HP invention anyway...), not even thinking about PostScript.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2009/12/3 7:40 ]
  • »03.12.09 - 08:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    For me, it's quite ironical that people are aware of the fact. that not every hardware like gfx-cards, soundcards etc. works in a MorphOS-driven system, but nevertheless they buy any new printer, and it should work OOTB with a stone-old driver-system (not that TP is bad, but there aren't any recent drivers). Maybe they should also investigate some time in checking which printer is suitable for MorphOS (that means, it should be capable of Postscript or PCL).
  • »03.12.09 - 11:51
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    @analogkid

@jcmarcos

Both your replies suggest me that neither of you read my previous post I sent on this same thread on 2007/10/02 where I referred to the possibility of using, under MorphOS and TurboPrint 7.60, HP LaserJet 1020 I bought shortly before for my wife PC's.
    I also assume (and I apologize for not having explained in my previous post...) both of you don't know that the apartment where I live with my wife?(and shortly also with a daughter :-) ) is small and space here is a primary resource.
    Last but not least, I am bound to say that responses like yours sadden me a lot as they bring into sharp contrast with philosophy of MorphOS born to take advantage of common hardware.
    Anyway, I am comforted by the fact that there is a bounty to remedy the current lack of support for printers and, and above all, by the announcement Zukow launched today about the imminent porting (from linux) some Turboprint printer drivers for MorphOS :-)

Tnx for your kind attention,

AKiLL
  • »04.12.09 - 21:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > philosophy of MorphOS born to take advantage of common hardware.

Did I miss something? ;-)

> I am comforted by the fact that there is a bounty to remedy the
    > current lack of support for printers

Still open.

> and, and above all, by the announcement Zukow launched today about
    > the imminent porting (from linux) some Turboprint printer drivers for MorphOS

You read pega-1's answer?
  • »04.12.09 - 21:34