Is It Time for a MorphOS Update?
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Well I've checked it once again and these are the exact rules to show the bug:

1. insert a cd, make some locks on it, remove the cd
    2. insert another cd, whick has the same name as the first one
    3. create some locks on it
    4. remove the second cd
    5. free all locks
    6. insert the second cd, make again some locks on it, then remove the cd
    7. free all locks

There should be 2 orphaned volume nodes. One standard and one with ".0" appended.

You may ask if this is really a problem. Well, most of my CDs are named "unnamed" so for my it IS a problem, especially if I need to find something on all of them...
    Marek Szyprowski ...... happy MorphOS, AmigaOS and Debian/Linux user ........
  • »25.06.06 - 18:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Right, but that would be equally fixed by updating Poseidon in the boot.img

Yes. But the problem is that Poseidon has been updated WITHOUT new boot.img (don't know why)

Nice thing if we'll get a new boot.img the next time, that will make things a LOT easier...
  • »25.06.06 - 18:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Well I've checked it once again and these are the exact rules to show the bug:
    [...]

Why all these steps, I could reproduce the issue just fine with far fewer from your earlier explanation. ;)

Quote:

You may ask if this is really a problem. Well, most of my CDs are named "unnamed" so for my it IS a problem

The issue isn't really related to volumes with same names though...

- CISC
  • »25.06.06 - 19:24
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Nice thing if we'll get a new boot.img the next time, that will make things a LOT easier...

I thought that was what this thread was about. :P

- CISC
  • »25.06.06 - 19:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I'll take the page down since I didnt think of the files being restricted. I stil fail to see why it would be wrong though.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »25.06.06 - 21:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    @all people complaining about Poseidon V2 included in boot.img:

In the old/ folder of the ftp you can find MOS 1.4.4. In that boot.img Poseidon V2 is not included. Just use that boot.img. The new ide.device and the new CD-Filesystem which supports reading of DVDs beyond 4 GB is included in that file.
  • »25.06.06 - 21:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

In the old/ folder of the ftp you can find MOS 1.4.4. In that boot.img Poseidon V2 is not included.

Excuse me? What makes you think that?

Poseidon is in the boot.img of all 1.4 releases.

Quote:

The new ide.device and the new CD-Filesystem which supports reading of DVDs beyond 4 GB is included in that file.

But some other things are not, I wouldn't recommend anyone to do this mix'n'match exercise...

- CISC
  • »25.06.06 - 22:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

I thought that was what this thread was about. :P

I thought this thread was about a new MorphOS update, not about a new Poseidon update.

What I meant was: It's nice if we will get a new boot.img that will solve current problems the next time (only?) Poseidon is updated. Last time it was, we didn't.
  • »26.06.06 - 09:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

CISC wrote:
    Quote:

- virtuall memory support

Well, we have/had this (funnily enough, because of request by Hyperion), however it has fallen out of maintainment (ie, it doesn't work anymore) due to lack of interest by everyone else. :P

It could be brought back to life (and even be released separately of MorphOS itself) provided we can get someone (that is part of the MorphOS team (due to the necessity of access to internals)) to resume work on it, and a fair number of people willing to risk their data and harddrives testing it... ;)

I think that optional virtual mem would be quite useful, for example in Quake3 with only 256MB of ram it's difficult to load some memory-hungry mods.

Modern games may require even more. If we remember that Quake3 ran on Windows with half of memory you see that it may be useful. At least for future games.

It would be quite useful for the PowerUP version too :-) CSPPC can only have 128MB and virtual mem may be handy.

I don't know much about 3D programs but theseare memory hungry too and in some situations it may help

btw, I won't ask when MOS1.5 will be released, but could you give us a hint about which components have to be finished to make MOS1.5 real. Maybe we could set up a bounty to speed up development of the missing components.

BTW, how's ARexx PPC going? ;-)
  • »26.06.06 - 09:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

I think that optional virtual mem would be quite useful, for example in Quake3 with only 256MB of ram it's difficult to load some memory-hungry mods.

Modern games may require even more. If we remember that Quake3 ran on Windows with half of memory you see that it may be useful. At least for future games.

It would be quite useful for the PowerUP version too CSPPC can only have 128MB and virtual mem may be handy.

I don't know much about 3D programs but theseare memory hungry too and in some situations it may help

Programs wouldnt get benefit immediately and to work properly it should not depend on stupid MEMF_PUBLIC/MEMF_SWAP flags. It should be fully transparent.

Co-operative virtual memory only leads to General Protection Fault mess seen in Windows 3.

[ Edited by itix on 2006/6/26 12:59 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »26.06.06 - 11:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

btw, I won't ask when MOS1.5 will be released, but could you give us a hint about which components have to be finished to make MOS1.5 real.

Not really, it's abit more complicated than that.

Quote:

BTW, how's ARexx PPC going? ;-)

Abysmally, I keep getting distracted. :P

Quote:

@itix
    It should be fully transparent.

So you volounteer then? ;)

- CISC
  • »26.06.06 - 12:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan

Just buy a router and stop complaining :lol:.
  • »26.06.06 - 13:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

- private task memory support (special kind of memory that is write protected by MMU and available only to task/process which allocated it)

The idea sounds nice but in practise it wouldnt work. It is bit like VM: everything should be private to get any practical use out of it.

OS4 and AROS implement MEMF_PRIVATE flag but I havent yet seen any source code actually using it. In OS4Emu I havent seen any program requesting private memory yet.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »26.06.06 - 13:24
    Crumb
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:

Just buy a router and stop complaining :lol:.

I was not talking about playing online. The problem is that textures and maps don't fit in 256MB. I have 512MB so it's not a problem now, but I had problems in the past with 256MB.

Quake3 only required 32MB and played quite well with 64MB and a Voodoo3 on Windows. It's a pity that to be able to play the same game you need at least 256MB. You can't even play with 128MB (4 times more than the minimum for windows)
  • »26.06.06 - 14:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    @CISC:

>>In the old/ folder of the ftp you can find MOS 1.4.4.
    >>In that boot.img Poseidon V2 is not included.

>Excuse me? What makes you think that?

Erm... sorry... it seems that I misunderstood the morphos.readme of 1.4.5 ... In that readme its said that Poseidon V2.2 is included compared to MOS 1.4.3, so I thought Poseidon was not included in earlier versions of boot.img ... oops!

[ Edited by Schlonz on 2006/6/27 0:00 ]
  • »26.06.06 - 23:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    I think that support for Firewire is the most long awaited for.

With Firewire stack available into MorphOS, then it colud be possible to connect a videocamera with ieee 1394 standard (Firewire) and download videos or upload movie sequences.

At least MOS Titler 1.0 will became of some use and not only a curiosity (but I think that then, it will require an update to made use of Firewire)

And also Hollywood 2.0 could being started finally worth using.

(Sure a 2.1 version of Hollywood should include Firewire Input/Output modules)
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »29.06.06 - 16:40
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    memering
    I totally agree! Firewire is a great tool to have if you are a artist or creator. I think most peg user are not by the way they respond to firewire.

They enjoy playing videos but do not think about creating them.

I have been in a bad mood for a while. The quote that MorphOS is a HOBBIE OS did not sit with me well.

SORRY OFF TOPIC!

We need to keep the Morph moving!!
    I am a graphic Artist and not a programer. I will do as much as I can. I will put 30 USD to a Firewire bounty, if some writes one up.

We need 1.5+

Bob
    God Bless

Bob
  • »29.06.06 - 18:56
    Profile Visit Website
    Robin
    hmm ... Firewire is the most useless thing someone
    should waste his time with ... (And probably the most unlikely)
  • »29.06.06 - 19:14
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    No, we don't want an update. Neverever !!!!

And update would mean a change in routine.

Most MorphOS-users are men over 30.

If there is one think middle-aged men like, it's their routine .

Force them to change their routine, and they will fall into mental pieces.
    So:

No, we don't want an update. Neverever !!!!

[ Edited by Kronos on 2006/6/29 21:37 ]
  • »29.06.06 - 21:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Robin wrote:
    hmm ... Firewire is the most useless thing someone
    should waste his time with ... (And probably the most unlikely)

If you are a MorphOS programmer and judging your thoughts now I can figure why Amiga and Amiga-like OSes are still only hobby OSes, and doomed to stay there for fun without evolving...

...upto the moment that last user of Amiga will be bored of it all.

What a pity and what a missed opportunity.

Hope that other Morphos programmers and maintaners have a better open-minded attitude than yours.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2006/6/30 0:01 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »29.06.06 - 23:58
    Robin
    Hehe, no I'm just a scripter ... but I think you overestimate
    the firewire system ... morphos is in need of so many
    really important improvements that fw is in my opinion a
    waste of the few developers we have ...
  • »30.06.06 - 06:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Ex-Member
    @Robin:

> hmm ... Firewire is the most useless thing someone
    > should waste his time with ... (And probably the most unlikely)

While I don't see use for Firewire myself, a few users might do. But for myself, I agree.

Just being curious: What's your opinion about Bluetooth? Just in case I should hurry up development for the next release... ;)

Regards

Chris Hodges

[ Edited by platon42 on 2006/6/30 7:44 ]
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »30.06.06 - 07:43
  • Ex-Member
    > Most MorphOS-users are men over 30.

Phew... That was close :-D
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »30.06.06 - 07:46
    Crumb
    @Robin

In contrast I would find it very useful for external HardDrives, DVDs etc... ALL peg1 & peg2 include a firewire port. Using USB1 with external hard disks is damn slow
  • »30.06.06 - 09:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    CLS2086
    I'm under 30 :-)
    Keep the Faith !
    VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC-ATEO/1200+1230-IVFPUSCSI/CD32/Pegasos 1 April1 G3/Pegasos 2 G4/ Ahtlon/K6-3/various funny machines too :-)
    Maybe one day a G4 AmigaONE when they will be debugged and without April...
  • »30.06.06 - 11:04