Ubuntu Breezy Colony 5 on Pegasos II
    gunne
    Hi jdryyz,

Congratulation ! :-)

Yes, ubuntu is nice, and will become even better with Dapper. Hope you will come to like using the combination MorphOS + Ubuntu.

Take also a look little later at the bootmenu script Acill mentioned.

Bootcreator will create a script for You, its not so very complicated. Link Here

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »01.03.06 - 16:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

gunne wrote:
    Hi jdryyz,

Congratulation ! :-)

Yes, ubuntu is nice, and will become even better with Dapper. Hope you will come to like using the combination MorphOS + Ubuntu.

Take also a look little later at the bootmenu script Acill mentioned.

Bootcreator will create a script for You, its not so very complicated. Link Here

Gunne

Thanks for the info. What is Dapper, by the way? I know I'm opening up a whole new world now with Linux. I'm hearing installing KDE would be another good step to make next. I take it that is a replacement for ubuntu's Gnome.

I will definitely look at the bootmenu thingy now. But first, I will do some more partition modifications given that I have discovered all of this new space I had forgotten about. :)
  • »01.03.06 - 17:32
    gunne
    Dapper Drake is the next release of Ubuntu, scheduled for sometimes in April.

Gnome or KDE is your choice.

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »01.03.06 - 17:41
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

gunne wrote:
    Dapper Drake is the next release of Ubuntu, scheduled for sometimes in April.

Gnome or KDE is your choice.

Ahh! I'm looking forward to it, then. That reminds me, I received a kernal update notice while using ubuntu yesterday. I can see now why having the kernal located in the linux boot/ makes more sense.
  • »01.03.06 - 18:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    just to say that the next Ubuntu release is about to come in april, and i tried the beta3, it roxx !!! worth waiting than starting an install these days !

EDIT : oops this was mentionned in the thread, sorry !

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2006/3/1 19:59 ]
  • »01.03.06 - 18:58
    gunne
    takemehomegrandma,

You would perhaps like to take a look on this page.

TestingOnPowerPC

I wonder of course if the linux-guys ever will manage to load MorphOS from it ? :-)

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »01.03.06 - 23:44
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I should probably start a new thread for this but for now I would like it to follow the ubuntu topic.

Has anyone experienced a problem with your system clock going crazy after using Linux on the Peg? I actually started to notice this long ago when I first began using PegXMac . What I discovered is that once I shutdown or restarted from the linux environment, my clock in MorphOS would read the year 1999! I don't recall if the day or month were incorrect also, but the year definitely changed to 1999. Now that I am using ubuntu, I am noticing the same bizarre behavior.

Incidentally, while using Linux (either MOL or ubuntu) the time is displayed correctly. Of course, in both of these cases, an internet time setting is being utilized. I do not know if the correct time is actually saved to Peg's clock from within linux or not, though.

This news wouldn't so terrible if it weren't for another problem I'm having. I cannot set my year correctly in MOS! The sliders keep jumping over numbers! Everytime I try to set the year to 2006 from 2005, it jumps over to 2007. What the ?!? The hour minutes and seconds behave similarly. I had to resort to setting the date to Dec 31, 2005 at midnight so it will roll-over to 2006 on its own. I am currently using MorphOS 1.4.5. Is there some adjustment I may need to make in MUI preferences to control the sliders or is this a problem in the Date/Time settings itself?
  • »02.03.06 - 20:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Hi jdryyz,

It's normal behaviour, you just have to edit a few things in Ubuntu. Here's what I did:

I removed the following files:

/etc/rc0.d/K25hwclock.sh
    /etc/rc6.d/K25hwclock.sh

(this wil prevent Ubuntu from writing to the hardware clock, found it on the net but it didn't work for me)

Then I edited /etc/default/rcS and added the following line HWCLOCKACCESS=no and also make sure UTC=no.

You have to make the changes as root or use sudo.

After these changes I had no more trouble with the clock in MorphOS.

~toto
  • »02.03.06 - 21:20
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

Toto wrote:
    Hi jdryyz,

It's normal behaviour, you just have to edit a few things in Ubuntu. Here's what I did:

I removed the following files:

/etc/rc0.d/K25hwclock.sh
    /etc/rc6.d/K25hwclock.sh

(this wil prevent Ubuntu from writing to the hardware clock, found it on the net but it didn't work for me)

Then I edited /etc/default/rcS and added the following line HWCLOCKACCESS=no and also make sure UTC=no.

You have to make the changes as root or use sudo.

After these changes I had no more trouble with the clock in MorphOS.

~toto

Thanks much for the info. One question here-- what if I never set a password for root in ubuntu? The install process only asked for a new account to be created. I don't even know if the account I setup has admin privileges or not.

I'm afraid I do not know what sudo is either.
  • »02.03.06 - 21:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Quote:

jdryyz wrote:

Thanks much for the info. One question here-- what if I never set a password for root in ubuntu? The install process only asked for a new account to be created. I don't even know if the account I setup has admin privileges or not.

With sudo you can start programs as superuser, it's safer than root, that's why Ubuntu doesn't ask for a root password during install.
    Type 'sudo vi /etc/default/rcS' in console and you can edit and save 'rcS' in /etc/default. You'll have to type your user password with sudo. And 'sudo rm /etc/rc0.d/K25hwclock.sh' will remove 'K25hwclock'.

If you want to setup root you have to type 'sudo passwd root', this will ask and setup a password for root and you'll then be able to login as root (NOT advised by Ubuntu).

~toto

[ Edited by Toto on 2006/3/2 23:07 ]
  • »02.03.06 - 22:05
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

Toto wrote:
    Quote:

jdryyz wrote:

With sudo you can start programs as superuser, it's safer than root, that's why Ubuntu doesn't ask for a root password during install.
    Type 'sudo vi /etc/default/rcS' in console and you can edit and save 'rcS' in /etc/default. You'll have to type your user password with sudo. And 'sudo rm /etc/rc0.d/K25hwclock.sh' will remove 'K25hwclock'.

If you want to setup root you have to type 'sudo passwd root', this will ask and setup a password for root and you'll then be able to login as root (NOT advised by Ubuntu).

~toto

[ Edited by Toto on 2006/3/2 23:07 ]

Excellent info. Thanks again.
  • »02.03.06 - 22:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    More usefull stuff:

DMA for your DVD/CDROM is off by default in Ubuntu, you can check it with: sudo hdparm /dev/hdd (if your DVD is slave on second ide port).

To enable DMA for your DVD as slave on second ide port:
    add this at the end of /etc/hdparm.conf

/dev/hdd {
    dma = on
    interrupt_unmask = on
    io32_support = 1
    mult_sect_io = 32
    }

To enjoy 3D software with Radeon cards add the following line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (section Device):

Option "BusType" "PCI"

~toto
  • »02.03.06 - 22:33
    gunne
    Taken from the Ubuntu wiki:

---------------
    By default, the password for root is locked in Ubuntu. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will setup sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands.

This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs YOUR password, this means that a root password is not needed.
    --------------

Read more here

They do have an excellent wiki at www.ubuntu.com

Edit, I see now I was little late there :-)

Gunne

[ Edited by gunne on 2006/3/3 1:24 ]
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »03.03.06 - 00:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Snuffy
    Hi Gunne,

Thanks for all the info! Nice thread.

When I got Sarge up and running on the A1, I ran into locked root for the first time in
    KDE 3.3. The implementation of SuDo makes it real nice to use.
    :-)
  • »04.03.06 - 01:44