OS4 Dead? Long live MorphOS!
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OS4 is not dead, nor is MorphOS.
    They are more like abandoned childs. Their parents (Amiga Inc, Genesi) have better things to do ATM than taking care of them. :-(

However Genesi will certainly be supporting MorphOS for Mobile-GT. Let's hope that it will help out the Desktop effort.
  • »22.03.05 - 17:10
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    What's the use of this thread Acill!?
    Do you feel happy laughing at others ‘misery’!?
    Do you think that anyone buying one motherboard already more expensive then Pegasos would then jump to MOS?
    Sincerely I don't know where you were with your head when you started saying such things... gee!
    Only when things were starting to behave different, when the mine isn't bigger then yours, you start it again!? Shame on you…
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »22.03.05 - 19:14
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    I think pixie got the point, nothing more to say. :-(
  • »22.03.05 - 20:39
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    @pixie
    I don't think Acill was intending to be too confrontational to be honest. Almost everyone was taken aback by that IRC chat thing and it's just a reaction to that.

Since the clarification/damage/rumour control follow up was posted, things have calmed down some.

Unlike Acill, I am still a potential A1/OS4 customer...only thing holding me back is price.

@ikir
    Hyperion themselves have hinted that OS4 must face commercial realities sooner or later - albeit the OS4 development team has a very low overhead...if OS4 cannot break out of the current buying circle of remaining Amiga users it likely faces the same fate as Desktop MorphOS.

@all
    We'd all love to say Long Live MorphOS wouldn't we? (Eternally hoping the dev team find a way to get another release out the door!)
  • »22.03.05 - 22:29
  • opi
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    opi
    I would say that OS4 is moving in a better direction than Desktop MorphOS. Because, frankly, MorphOS has no direction at all. It would be a pity to see that another years of people (both: Core team & users) work going down the drain. But I'm prepared for worse.
  • »22.03.05 - 23:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Uh... I was only pointing out a thread on another site with users
    stating OS4 is dead. I never said anything negative here. I guess my
    topic was a bad choice but calm down mate!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »23.03.05 - 00:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Well this could be a nice break for us. They could become MOS users
    yet if we dont rub it in any if it does indeed become an end to
    AmigaOS.

Well, did you become an OS4 user when MOS development hit the rocks?

Quote:

I am just glad I never got an A1. I was so close at one time.

Are you glad you ever got a pegasos?

I have both and I'm glad I have both. Despite both OS's being declared dead, both machines appear to still function.
    Comments like yours are hardly helpful.
    --
    Robert.
  • »23.03.05 - 11:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Quote:

@pixie
    I don't think Acill was intending to be too confrontational to be honest. Almost everyone was taken aback by that IRC chat thing and it's just a reaction to that.

Since the clarification/damage/rumour control follow up was posted, things have calmed down some.

Unlike Acill, I am still a potential A1/OS4 customer...only thing holding me back is price.

I was bit of ‘shocked’ that it came from Acill… I never expect such take from him, that was the main reason I replied at all, although it isn’t the end of the world still I don’t think it was needed at all, at least here and the way it was worded up.

Maybe Acill could explained well better his ‘grief’ there, where it would make much more sense, or at least worded it better in this portal.

Quote:

@all
    We'd all love to say Long Live MorphOS wouldn't we? (Eternally hoping the dev team find a way to get another release out the door!)

I think that’s not the case either, at least the way I see it, we've been too long on this to not actually come anything out of it... one thing that kept Amiga alive all this years was some sort of intelligentsia that was shaped along with its expertise. This allowed the technology to be meaningful enough to not die. That and the users themselves, many people doesn’t change from windows because they don’t even know there’ s an option, and the struggle to use Windows actually came even further when you use other systems showing what’s so simple: money it isn’t the all be all many think it is…

If you see the three actual derivations of AmigaOS as one, as the natural progression to the original AmigaOS (AmigaOS 1 -> 3.1 anyone ;) everything makes much more sense, instead having arms fighting legs, fighting head we have all working along, they simply share way too much, and not taking advantage of it is simply a waste. We have Natural World where we can learn with millions of years of expertise, showing that in addition to the ‘Survival of the Fittest’ where within the same specimen only the strongest survive, we have symbiotic relationships that have lasted millions of years showing its strengths, and intrinsic relationships in life itself (just look how cells are made).

If we join the three musketeers metaphor to it, maybe it then become more obvious, everyone who had read it know how despite being dissimilar in personalities, having the same ideals allowed them to achieve great goals under the umbrella of D’Artagnan, which in our case might be Genesi, Amiga, Hyperion, AROS Open Source Community…

So we have a multitude of musketeers (*UAE, Amithlon, MorphOS, AmigaOS, AROs), we have lots of D'Artagnans (Genesi, Amiga, Hyperion, AROS Open Source Community) so what we need more to evolution take place? A nice playground where everyone can joyfully play!
    :-D ;-)

[ Edited by pixie on 2005/3/24 1:11 ]
  • »23.03.05 - 18:08
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Acill wrote:Quote:

Don't worry mate I'm calm! ;-) The reasons that made me say it were expressed in the post itself and the post before of this, but I have to say you fuelled quite a bit more with:
    Quote:

AmigaOS. I am just glad I never got an A1. I was so close at one time.

but then, I haven't felt the world stop revolving, so it must be ok! :-P

[ Edited by pixie on 2005/3/24 1:21 ]
  • »23.03.05 - 18:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

pixie wrote:
    Acill wrote:Quote:

Don't worry mate I'm calm! ;-) The reasons that made me say it were expressed in the post itself and the post before of this, but I have to say you fuelled quite a bit more with:
    Quote:

AmigaOS. I am just glad I never got an A1. I was so close at one time.

but then, I haven't felt the world stop revolving, so it must be ok! :-P

[ Edited by pixie on 2005/3/24 1:21 ]

Yup, thats fair. I shouldnt have posted it. I guess I was just not myself at the time I typed it. I didnt mean anything but good intentions, but I see looking at it that its wording made it look more then that.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »23.03.05 - 23:04
    Profile Visit Website