Standalone GameCD for OpenDesktopWorkstation
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    >Get yourself a second Peg instead ($999 for a complete Gentoo ODW system or $649 for a Peg2 mainboard+G4 CPU), the Pegasos2 is worth it!

As if everyone could afford buying two computers within two years...

I don't blame Gentoo devs for only supporting whatever hardware they have access to, but that's easy to say "just buy another Pegasos" !

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »01.02.05 - 22:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Leo

Quote:

but that's easy to say "just buy another Pegasos"!

What else could anyone say? If certain software is running on a computer you don't have, then you have two options really;
    1. Get that computer.
    2. Accept that you can't run the software.

If you can't afford it then it's too bad. But what could anyone here possibly do about that? There are lots of things I can't afford either, I just have to accept that.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »02.02.05 - 07:40
    hooligan
    Quote:

What else could anyone say? If certain software is running on a computer you don't have, then you have two options really;
    1. Get that computer.
    2. Accept that you can't run the software.

If you can't afford it then it's too bad. But what could anyone here possibly do about that? There are lots of things I can't afford either, I just have to accept that.

I agree 100%

It's like me bitching about why latest games doesn't work well enough on my 1GHz Duron with GeForce2. Also I have the exact two choices that TMHG presented.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »02.02.05 - 09:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @takemehomegrandma

you have a third and a fourth options

3 - protest (useless but a good way to unwind)
    4 - switch to another computer with support for older models (almost all of them apart from Pegasos I)

as said Leo we can't afford to switch to Pegasos 2 according to the price of it.

I don't wanna upgrade my 200$ second hand pegasos I for a 999$ ODW just to have a faster linux, more linux distributions and a live game CD. I'm a simple user, not a developper and as long as MorphOS 1.5 won't be released i can see no good reason to spend 999$ for a linux box. My PC is faster than the ODW under linux and i'd rather spend my money for an ibook or mac mini with full options.
    From a user point of view the lack of support and upgrades for the Pegasos I (which was quite expensive as well 2 years ago) is unacceptable.

@hooligan

you have the choice to upgrade your PC for a reasonable price or second hand recent components. I just cannot upgrade the Pegasos I the same way.
  • »02.02.05 - 10:14
    hooligan
    Quote:

you have the choice to upgrade your PC for a reasonable price or second hand recent components. I just cannot upgrade the Pegasos I the same way

reasonable price... new motherboard, new cpu, new cooler and a new graphicscard... trust me, the final sum is nowhere near reasosable for me, and because of that I accept that I can't play all the latest games.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »02.02.05 - 10:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    @dholm

Thanks for your response.

splash=silent worked to show the output

It goes through the boot process and then comes to a command line prompt and the following message:

"The root block device is unspecified or not detected. Please specify a device to boot or type shell for a shell"
    >

what should I enter for the boot device?

tia
    magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »02.02.05 - 20:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Is it only me who has noticed that this game/engine is made by Amiga E author Wouter van Oortmerssen?
  • »02.02.05 - 21:57
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    Quote:

dholm wrote:
    @magnetic:

Try "boot cd cube splash=silent".

Hi dholm,

maybe you can do something for me.

I'm having trouble with the game resolution.
    I have a TFT 19" and my screens goes black after some kernel messages during boot. I can see the dhcp adresse accepted fot eth0, failing for eth1 ... then the screen switch and ... nothing more.
    It seems the games is ok because i tryed to plays whithout picture and tha games starts and I can shoot with lef mouse button.

HELP
  • »02.02.05 - 22:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    @Soundsquare

Who said "1.5" isnt going to be released? Ann??

There WILL BE an update to MOS!

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »02.02.05 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

gurgel wrote:
    Is it only me who has noticed that this game/engine is made by Amiga E author Wouter van Oortmerssen?

:-o

I didn't make that connection! That's cool in a way! :-)
  • »02.02.05 - 23:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    Quote:

I'm having trouble with the game resolution.
    I have a TFT 19" and my screens goes black after some kernel messages during boot.

Most probably it is Xorg failing to automatically set up the TFT monitor.
  • »03.02.05 - 08:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Some stupid expierence: When I burned it on PC, these character was added in the names of the files ".;" - saw only in the firmware shell. After that I tried it on Pegasos (Frying Pan) with the same result.

Friend told me, that I must use another format, but I dont know the format (and where to find in Frying Pan or Nero 6).
    JACK - 3D gfx artist
    Config: Pegasos 2 G3/600 MHz, 256 MB SDRAM (Kingmax), ATI Radeon 9200 Pro 128MB, 120 GB HDD

My new web: http://jack-3d.wz.cz
  • »03.02.05 - 08:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Why they make thinks for some specific hardware?! I have compatible hardware and I have sufficient hardware for this game (it isnt Doom3!).

1. I have Pegasos computer!
    2. I have PowerPC processor!
    3. I have 3D accelerated gfx card!

These "incompatibilities" (hard to write and say :lol: this word) worry me! :-?
    JACK - 3D gfx artist
    Config: Pegasos 2 G3/600 MHz, 256 MB SDRAM (Kingmax), ATI Radeon 9200 Pro 128MB, 120 GB HDD

• »03.02.05 - 13:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    Quote:

Why they make thinks for some specific hardware?!

The GameCD was made to promote Gentoo and the ODW at FOSDEM. Pieter decided to release it publicly in case someone was interested, and as it turns out it was way more popular than he expected it to be.

Quote:

1. I have Pegasos computer!

Pieter has an ODW. I traded my Pegasos I for a II. As I've said before, it is difficult for us to support the Pegasos I since all we can do is cross our fingers and hope things work.

Quote:

2. I have PowerPC processor!

Great! All the binaries are G4-optimised, but they should still run on a G3.

Quote:

3. I have 3D accelerated gfx card!

No you don't. According to your signature you have a Vodoo 3. The 3Dfx chipset is only accelerated on Linux/x86, and poorly supported in general since very few people still use these.

[ Edited by dholm on 2005/2/3 14:56 ]
  • »03.02.05 - 13:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    luky-amiga
    It's stand alone LiveCD. There is boot image for Pegasos II, which will not work with Pegasos I. Gentoo Developers have only ODW machines (Peg2 G4) and this LiveCD is ODW optimalized = Altivec and ATI Radeon 3D. Maybe I am wrong, but it doesn't work even on Pegasos 2 G4 + Voodoo3! :-o

It works for me only with ATI Radeon (8500LE 128MB DDR). It's nice engine and needs a lot of CPU/3D power and gfx memory.
  • »03.02.05 - 13:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    OK, but dont be angry to me when I say this sentence: luky-amiga: There is boot image for Pegasos II, which will not work with Pegasos I. - is the worst thing we reach!

This is one of many incompatibilities between P1 and P2. I am pressed to buy Pegasos2 because Pegasos1 isnt 100% backward compatible :-x :-x :-x

Some months after now, I will not be able to sell Pegasos1 (to buy P2), because there will not work new software...

I DONT LIKE THIS! :cry:
    JACK - 3D gfx artist

• »03.02.05 - 16:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

I am pressed to buy Pegasos2 because Pegasos1 isnt 100% backward compatible

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it "forward compatibility" you're having problems with? (Software designed for newer model not running on the older one)
  • »03.02.05 - 20:21
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

... and poorly supported in general since very few people still use these.

I disagree, Voodoo3 is still the most suitable gfx card for MorphOS users. I had ATI R7k 64MB ready for MOS1.5, but I have waited too long and then I sold it.

But I know, you think Linux and there is ATI more supported. OK ;-)
    JACK - 3D gfx artist

• »04.02.05 - 14:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    I haven't yet tried the gameCD (I don't have my Linux-Peg2 where I currently am) but sounds nice...

Why not put Neverball on similar gameCD (if you're going to do more)?

That game rules! (Obviously I like morphos port more but... :-) )
  • »04.02.05 - 21:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Jupp3

The point is that you won't need a special "Linux-Peg2"; any ODW/Peg2 (with ODW specifications) is all that's needed since it's a live CD (with operating system and everything else included)! :-)
  • »04.02.05 - 22:13