Interested in helping make a website to help us get more sof
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Magnetic

Yeah, I know, and I think you are right (about not wasting time on whining for Mozilla and Open Office) but like Acill said: let us first find someone to build an actual site and let us then see which bountys are acceptable. :-)

ps.

Quote:

The funny thing is not many coders have posted on this thread - just guys like us who want ports

What do you expect; we haven't even set our first bounty ;-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »17.05.04 - 14:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

smithy wrote:

May I suggest that instead of creating bounties for specific applications that bounties are created for more generics. For example, instead of a bounty for "Mozilla", create a bounty for a "modern web browser with HTML4, DOM3, JS1.5, & CSS2.1 support". Of course, this will need a committee to determine whether an application will meet the criteria set.

This way the bounty applies for any MOS-specific applications, as well as any port, that are written that might be equal in quality and functionality to whatever someone wanted ported.

And on the subject of a modern web browser, all is not quite as bleak as it might seem :-D

You may ;-) , but you are too late. That's how amizilla works. The bounty is for someone who ports Mozilla (well, firefox) or something which can be seen as an equivalent.

But that does not change the fact that it is not too likely we will see such big things too soon. I guess for a modern browser oGALAXYo has the best approach, even he's some kind if quiet regarding atlantis.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.05.04 - 15:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    smithy
    Quote:

You may , but you are too late. That's how amizilla works.

I was on about this new MOS bounty scheme, rather than Amizilla. I just used a web browser as an example :-)

Quote:

I guess for a modern browser oGALAXYo has the best approach, even he's some kind if quiet regarding atlantis.

I'm not sure he does actually. I've discussed this with him before. And in fact, a KHTML port would probably involve even more work than a Mozilla port (you have to port the enormous Qt libraries first - it took a team of open source people 3 months to implement a third of it, before Trolltech released the Linux Qt source as GPL), and both a great deal more work than writing a browser from scratch. I looked into porting KHTML myself, but decided against it after I investigated what would be involved in some detail.
  • »17.05.04 - 16:06
  • Targhan
    Well, I'm interested in the concept here. I can try to help in whatever way I can. Subpages here on MorphZone, or a little PHP code here and there (even if you don't want the pages here).

I would suggest, however, that we start with some smaller projects. Also, keep in mind that the AmiZilla project is supposed to cover "MorphZilla" as well.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »17.05.04 - 16:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Something that may be worth adding to the list... (and I don't do this often!)

VLC, another open source, multi-platform, media player! :-D

• »17.05.04 - 18:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Targhan wrote:
    Well, I'm interested in the concept here. I can try to help in whatever way I can. Subpages here on MorphZone, or a little PHP code here and there (even if you don't want the pages here).

Having it here would be a good idea, but I think it may be better to take someone up on the offer of a dedicated hosting. I am still willing to pay for the first year of a domain name. Something like MorphBounties.org or the like. Its available too. Having it here caould be a bad thing since it may distract people looking for it into looking at other things. I want the the list to jump out and say look at me!!!!

Where are the web page coders? I am about to ask my friend to help me make one. He does it for a living every day so it would look real good. The only problem is tis would be in his spare time away from work and having it maintained may be a bit slow and become a problem after its completed. Thats why I want a dedicated MorphOS user to help get it designed.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »17.05.04 - 18:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Dedicated hosting.. Not a bad idea. I could still provide forums or some kind of "latest news" kind of thing here to help support the effort.

• »17.05.04 - 20:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Krille
    Quote:

weiseb wrote:
    >Here's another item for the list: DOpus Magellan.

I would love to see a native version of this too.
    I am using the 68K Version in Morphos atm.

Which language was used for coding it?

I don't know, but I think (and hope) it is C.

Quote:

I think there is a reason why Hyperion did nothing with it (and not only lack of time).

As far as I'm informed GP Soft and Hyperion had a contract to buy a source licence for DOpus. However Hyperion never paid the licence fee, so they never had access to the source and couldn't do anything with it for that reason.

To comment on the statement that few developers have responded: Once we manage to get the source I'll help with development as time permits.

BTW: On a completly unrelated issue: Is it normal that the JavaScript code in this forum doesn't work with IBrowse and that it isn't possible to log in with AWeb? After telling me I would have logged in successfully it shows the anonymous page again. Cookies are on.
  • »17.05.04 - 21:10
  • Targhan
    Unfortunately, the javascript relies upon some DOM that isnt' supported by any MorphOS browser. Worse still, it's next to impossible to replace.

Turn off the RFC 5xxx deal in AWeb, it blows up MorphZone, Yahoo, and a bunch of other sites. Other than this, I can only suggest that you tinker with the settings--there are a lot of them. I can't reproduce the problem here since AWeb doesn't run on my Peg for some reason.

I've avoided the possible Hyperion/GPSoft issues on purpose. I do not know what happened, and there is little public knowledge on the happenings. As far as I'm concerned, it is next to impossible to be fair to all parties.

• »17.05.04 - 22:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Hey all good news! My friend Posure will be making the web site for the bounties! He will be posting in this thread and asking how it should look. Please dont flood him with app requests!! We need to get the site up and looking how it should first, then we can add a few SMALL needed apps to the bounties based on inpus from this thread. I also told him he could add a paypal link to it for donations in his name for keeping the site updated and making it. I am sure a few dollars from a few users would be okay now and then. Lets have some fun!
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »17.05.04 - 23:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    posure
    Hello everyone..My name is Andy and I'm a friend of Acill's..He contacted me to develop this new website so I need everyone here to post what kind of features and functionality you want in this new site! Please post what you wish me to implement as I will be getting started on the project next week.

Thanks everyone!

-Andy (a.k.a. posure)
    psr.
    alkjfdjkahsSTRESSED OUTasjhfakdfa
  • »17.05.04 - 23:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Well now we need a host so he can upload the pages he completes and to test them. Scott you still up for it? A temp domain name is fine until we decide on the domain name if we even need one.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »17.05.04 - 23:48
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    First, make up a title for the webpage :-D
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »18.05.04 - 05:44
    Profile Visit Website
    warface
    I think a "clone" of AROS bounty should be fine - if the AROS guys won't mind of course :-)
  • »18.05.04 - 10:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    This site is going to look realy good I think when its done. Posure is very good at what he does from what I have seen. I dont want to clone another site. Thats to easy and not original.

We need a name for the site. The hosting is a done deal from what I can see, but we need to get a domain name first. Send in your names now please to this thread. I was thinking Morphbounties.org as one so far. Also I need a place thats on the cheap side for registration.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »18.05.04 - 12:36
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Good thread and a great spirit!

We have been very busy and will be until the end of the week.

We are happy to host the site/pages here on MorphZone. You do not need to register another domain unless you really want to...:-)

R&B

P.S. Raquel says I did not read the thread well enough...8-) Will try again tomorrow.
  • »18.05.04 - 13:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    okay it looks like we got the web space and the domain name from the same place. All I need now is for you all to submit some ideas for names. I'll ask Targ once we have several for a poll to have you all vote on the one we go with. Lets get started. My first offering is still Morphbounties.org
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »18.05.04 - 15:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    It's good to see your plan beginning to solidify Acill. The bigger question is how to determine who gets what bounty, and how many bounties will be 'online' at the same time. Also, how will the website reflect this?

And with the current question... How about, "ButterflyProjects.org" or "ButterflyBounties.org"?

• »18.05.04 - 16:06
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    too bad wwww.thebutterflyeffect.com is taken =)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »18.05.04 - 16:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    @ Posure

Welcome to the community and thanks for your efforts

@ BBRV

Yes - remember you coined it yourself "MorphOS is not just an OS its a CONCEPT" ;-)

Its a Grass Roots OS - "Green Computing"

BTW

Nice of you to offer to host the site...

@Acill

Arent you glad you sold that A3000? :-P

It would be really cool to have the bounties with icons of the Star Wars Bounty Hunters like Boba Fet (sp?) and the others. When the bounties are fulfilled some short story or pic is posted...

Fun stuff to get people excited. Also, setting up a Paypal account for payment is good too... thats my question really how to collect the money and payout internationally?

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »18.05.04 - 16:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Cant do the Star Wars thing, though it would be cool. I dont want Lucas after us!!!! The payments can be made via paypal to the user or we can send an internation money order, western union ect. There are lots of ways.

About the A3000, I dont miss it at all now. :-D
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »18.05.04 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    You guys should know that I think it may be a good idea to use an engine that's already there.

I've got Vanilla up and running, and because of Genesi's events page on PegasosPPC.com, it's not really used. Drop over to EVENTS.MorphZone.org and think about how it might be able to be used. It's got an engine, date and blog based. Add some donation options to the left bar, change the header, and I could change the url to bounty.morph.zone or wanted.morph.zone or whatever.

The site is there, it's not being used. Why not make something of it? It's easy to do, and Acill's buddy could easily do things with it.

Assuming of coarse, that nobody else has any ideas for the unused space?

• »18.05.04 - 22:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    posure
    The engine is not a problem, but thanks for the suggestion. The basics are easy to develop, but I'm a perfectionist and like to extend features wherever possible.

Also..building on previous code you did not write yourself is alot harder than it sounds. Requires more analysis than its worth. :-D

As far as domains.. morphbounty.org or morphbounties.org sound good to me..Godaddy.com is where I get all my domains, its cheap and its quality.

EDIT: bounty.morph.zone aint that bad either..could always do both.
    psr.
    alkjfdjkahsSTRESSED OUTasjhfakdfa
  • »19.05.04 - 04:11
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Well, I must say "hurray" to all the peolpe involved in getting this project up and running :hammer: !

I do think that it's a good idea though to have a bounty.morph.zone; it's good to keep a "foothold" here :-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »19.05.04 - 16:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    bounty.morph.zone is fine with me, then I wouldnt have to pay the $16 registration fee for a year. The page will start takig shape next week after Posure is done with his finals. Let me know if you are all happy with that address. The webspace is also available I here from Targ.

Targ can you please contact Posure and give him the instructions on how to upload the pages to that section of the server? If that wont work then I will pay for the domain and use the hosting services Boing offered us.

Here are my ideas for the first few apps I would like to see bounties on,.

1. vnc server
    2. full featured FTPd (a port from some of the linux ones even like proFTPd)
    3. Mail server
    4. Full featured word processor
    5. TCP/IP stack
    6. SAMBA in native code
    7. File lister like Dopus in native code
    8. xpostfacto or MacOnMorphOS
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »19.05.04 - 16:40
    Profile Visit Website