The future of Pegasos + MorphOS
  • Targhan
    The bottom line in this is simply, incubating a startup. Life happens, but also life goes one.

Concentrating on the future, there are still hurdles to overcome. There are challenges to be met that isn't known even internally at this point. The market changes daily. The market seems to be evolving with portable music, but soon portable video will be the killer thing (as seen from previous link).

With the advent of the 1-inch harddrive, much more is possible now in miniture. I fully believe we will start to see Sci-Fi like armband computers, hip worn "LAN-Man"'s, hell, maybe even glasses with a HUD. Game systems are almost all going to PPC technology now.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »18.04.04 - 18:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    @bbrv: I absolutely agree! You have the right visions and plans, that's why I've bought a Pegasos! Wish I would have some cash to invest into the future;-) If you know my homepage (www.amilogic.de) you know why I like portability :-)

<slime mode off>Currently I'm working at a really cheap (550 EUR) A 1200 based "Laptop", I really would like to have my "Peg-book". My dream is something small and beautyful like Apples Newton-based eMate, but with a G3 and Morphos. Much cheaper than an iBook, but fast enough for multimedia, internet, games, with WLAN. This could be a real "homecomputer" in the real meaning of that word.
  • »18.04.04 - 18:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • opi
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    opi
    Quote:

I think it would be a great idea to try the AROS bounty model for MorphOS.

Yep, that has my vote, too. It works quite well for AROS. Why shouldn't we try it on our own yard? :)
    Quote:

Who has the resources to put something like this together?

Buildin' webside is a nice start. I can help with that, but I bet Im not the only one. Bad thing is, I can not support MorphOS Bounty with cash. Same goes with AROS (Hi AROS Developers;-)).
  • »18.04.04 - 20:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    BBRV, can you please tell if focus shifted back to G4 and what that means for the G5 plans which were hinted at last summer?
  • »19.04.04 - 05:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    ah the G5 (new pants) :-o
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »19.04.04 - 05:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    downix
    @DrZarkov

Ya know, for the size of a paws you can make a portable Peg.
    Nate Downes
    Genesi SARL
  • »19.04.04 - 15:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hawk
    I would like to see a Peg-based mini laptop. Mini laptops are usually more expensive and slower than normal laptops. I have a Fujitsu LOOX Biblo T86A, and Windows is incredible slow and takes a lot of time to boot. I use Gentoo Linux, but it's not very fast booting either...

MorphOS would rock in a mini-laptop ;-)

PowerBooks are too expensive for what they offer. A small PowerBook G4 weights 2Kg ... (my mini-laptop is 1Kg), and the screen quality is not so good comparing with any new Fujitsu or Sharp screens...

Wouldn't it be possible to make a smaller Peg2 motherboard with a fanless G4 and fit it on a cute mini-laptop?

I need to take advantage of the time in the train... Don't want to wait for the system to boot .. ^^;

Please, Morph this world!
    Pegasos II G3@600Mhz (no fan) 512MB RAM (1 slot)
    -- Maxtor 6Y120P0 120GB, 7200 rpm -- ATI Radeon 7500 - (64MB, TV-out)
    -- Minuet Slimline PC case -- MorphOS 1.4.5 + Gentoo
    EFIKA
  • »19.04.04 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Well, all future plans need a good foundation so my wish is just produce some PegII in volume and get this damn nice 7447A asap.
    A pegII with 7447A 1.2 (or even higher) ghz for 499 EUR would be nice and realistic comparing the price scheme of the 7447 and 7447A

What about an 800 Mhz G3?

But some volume would be nice. batches not of about ~ 200 units but ~2000 that would be georgeous. The rest will come later.

Ahh - and MOS 1.5 soon (within Q2/04...).

Let's first focus on the things which are there now or are very close.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.04.04 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Edited...

someone already asked.. DOH! (reference to Pegasos Laptop)
  • »19.04.04 - 20:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @ Zylesea

Where did you hear with in Q2/04 for 1.5?
    --Mithalas
  • »19.04.04 - 21:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    Quote:

by Targhan on 2004/4/18 18:47:29

Take a look at www.zvue.com for what I believe will evolve into the iPod killer. I've seen the future, it's in my zVue!!!

It remembers me a device I dreamed for during a long time. The ECLIPSIS.

BBRV, Is the ECLIPSIS always on your projects?

Frindly
    Serge
  • »20.04.04 - 08:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I haven't heard about Q2/04 - it's only my wish as it is also with the production in some kind of volume.
    But I think both wishes are not far away from reality (well, at least closer than some laptop or G5 plans), so maybe we will see V1.5 in Q2...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »20.04.04 - 09:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Well, all future plans need a good foundation so my wish is just produce some PegII in volume and get this damn nice 7447A asap.
    A pegII with 7447A 1.2 (or even higher) ghz for 499 EUR would be nice and realistic comparing the price scheme of the 7447 and 7447A

What about an 800 Mhz G3?

But some volume would be nice. batches not of about ~ 200 units but ~2000 that would be georgeous. The rest will come later.

Ahh - and MOS 1.5 soon (within Q2/04...).

Let's first focus on the things which are there now or are very close.

I'd like to see a faster G4 as well made. I would like to see it work with current Pegasos II boards as well. Its something I would upgrade if it became available. The volume thing will come in time. I know the Pegasos is starting to get some good press coverage, and more and more people are getting them. I have several friends not that were long time Amiga users that have switched over, even with OS4 getting closer. When more companies see that they can set up a G4 based server using the Pegasos for a fraction of the cost of something built by IBM I think more will take a good look at it. We need to get a good stable linux build supported for serious busisnes sales.

As for MOS 1.5 that is a much needed upgrade to the OS. If its as good as everyone says it will be, then we are all in for a nice treat. If it takes a bit longer to make it more stable and more compatable I vote to wait for it longer if need be.

Another thing that must happen is hardware sales. We wont see any serious software applications come out before we more users and more sales. Once this happens the software publishers will make the software as long as its selling. In otherwords stary BUYING and REGISTERING the software you are using. Tell your friends about the Pegasos, show it off to anyone that will look at it and may want to get one. We have a strong lead against the Amiga One and I want to keep it.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »20.04.04 - 15:24
    Profile Visit Website