OWB 1.7 crash on Google Docs - Forms
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    insurgent
    I believe some of you would be using Google Docs in absence ofany native office productivity software for MOS.

I'm unable to open the Forms application e.g. once you login to Google Docs > Create new > Form. The page will launch in a new tab and it will be partially loaded, then stops at 153.8 kB of 154.4 kB read. After that OWB stops responding. The issue is repeatable.

Have you come across that? What could be the cause? Is there a workround? How can I provide more information for debugging and who would want to know about that?

Thanks!
    Registered MOS 2.7 + Pack Ultimate 1.6.2 running on:
    Power Mac G4 FW800 1.42GHz 2GB / Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB / SB Live! / NEC USB 2.0 / SuperDrive
    Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz 1GB / 64MB VRAM / SuperDrive
    Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP 1920x1200
    PowerBook G4 ready :-)
  • »23.04.10 - 11:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    On another browser, side by side, that stop doesn't happen? Because it could be the server, that has some problem an thus stops in an interesting moment.
  • »23.04.10 - 12:25
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    insurgent
    Quote:

On another browser, side by side, that stop doesn't happen? Because it could be the server, that has some problem an thus stops in an interesting moment.

Ahh, you made me turn the Mac on. Just tried to do the same in Safari, no issues i.e. server problem it is not. Also, I had the same problem yesterday.

Would anyone try with their OWB to see whether the issue is repeatable?
    Power Mac G4 FW800 1.42GHz 2GB / Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB / SB Live! / NEC USB 2.0 / SuperDrive
  • »23.04.10 - 12:39
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    I tried and it happens for me too (even on a more recent WebKit version). It seems to be stuck in a busy loop in webkit render process, so I believe this is a generic issue.
  • »23.04.10 - 14:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    @insurgent

1. What about Sputnik then?

2. Why using forms? What for??

3. Regarding productivity and Excel, remember IcXL running in Basilisk II. It's a reader-only but can export to csv or html AFAR. I was given a key by the publisher so it is free for MorphOS community :-)
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »23.04.10 - 18:55
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    @insurgent
    you scared me for a sec because I use it all the time, the work around is simple closing out the browser, and reselecting it and spoof as owb, not firefox, then go to google docs and try again. This does work for me...hope it does for you
    cheers! (you may have to spoof back and forth for other office programs)
  • »24.04.10 - 00:11
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    insurgent
    @xyphoid
    Quote:

the work around is simple closing out the browser, and reselecting it and spoof as owb, not firefox, then go to google docs and try again.

Sorry, I didn't get it - how did you do that... close the browser and then...?
  • »25.04.10 - 03:41
    xyphoid
    if you right click go to owb settings preferences and select network, spoof as owb instead of firefox select use, and go to google docs reload, or just open a new tab, it should now allow you to create new document., if not close out the browser(if it hangs with red network lamps) and try again with changing the settings. Remember, there is no need to save, just use the spoof as owb.
  • »25.04.10 - 14:41
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    But google docs is not a problem in general. Just google "forms" seems to be. And no spoof options would avoid that generic webkit bug, i'd say.
  • »25.04.10 - 14:44
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    bug true, but the above mentioned tip works for me all the time, as I use docs, for a lot of my work invovling creating letters, plans, forms to be read on xp system at work, but hey, maybe I'm lucky... I just tried it again, so as long as I create new open new docs, xml, ppt i'm good
  • »25.04.10 - 15:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    insurgent
    @xyphoid, Fab

Thanks heaps for the tip about spoof feature in OWB preferences - I didn't even know it existed. I can finally use Yahoo! Mail in all glory rather than being forced to switch to 'classic'.

Saying that, the problem with Google Docs Forms is still here. Note that I'm using OWB 1.7 and have not tried 1.8. It affects only Forms, other Google Docs components work perfectly fine. Anyway, it is by no means a show stopper, I'll be rarely using Forms anyway.
  • »26.04.10 - 02:43
    xyphoid
    you guys were totally right i was wrong my apologies. totally doing something else. I know that i edited my form (survey) on this system before, maybe on my older version
    hence the titlt "new" duuuuhh!

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2010/4/26 20:49 ]
  • »27.04.10 - 00:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiga4001
    Here is a site which won't render on owb 1.7 while 1.5 works nicely
    http://www.triumphspitfire.com/BBS.html
    Powerbook 5,4 1.5GHz 1.5GB ram
  • »29.04.10 - 05:59
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    It works just fine in 1.7 here.
  • »29.04.10 - 13:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiga4001
    Strange I only get the left side anf the right side is clear white while the older version does show the complete page.
    Powerbook 5,4 1.5GHz 1.5GB ram
  • »29.04.10 - 21:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amiga4001 wrote:
    Strange I only get the left side anf the right side is clear white while the older version does show the complete page.

I can confirm that with OWB 1.7, Mac mini - only the left part of the page gets shown.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »29.04.10 - 22:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It works just fine in 1.7 here.

Confirmed. Mac mini here.
  • »29.04.10 - 22:31
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    It works just fine, but i guess you have AdBlock enabled, and one of the default rules block a part of the site. The message window will even show you what OWB blocks, so it should be easy to add this site in whitelist, or find the offending rule.

The matched URL (shown in OWB message window as blocked) is: http://pub4.ezboard.com/bspitfireinformationexchange

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/4/30 0:21 ]
  • »29.04.10 - 23:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    For some reason I cant open gmail or google docs at all here.
    Google maps works fine, and I can also open the spitfire links above without problems.
    I tried the spoofing tip, and also tried to enable and disable cookies, as well as the adblock tip, without any luck.

It never seem to load any data, just a blank page, and status is 247.8 kb out of 247.8kb loaded, and then I get a timeout requester.

I am behing a proxy connection, so I'm using the HTTP_PROXY setting to get online. But that shouldnt be a problem, since most other websites seem to work.

Have I missed something, or is there something else I can try?

btw, Im on a Mac Mini 1.5Ghz, 512MB ram, 64MB VRAM, MOS2.4 and offcourse OWB1.7 (from the Pack Ultimate 1.55)
  • »16.05.10 - 20:48
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Well, Proxy support is largely untested, so better test without. Maybe proxy support is an issue with some secure sites, somehow.
  • »16.05.10 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    As for now, my only option is this proxy connection. (I'm currently at work offshore)
    The other internet option is wireless, and mos doesnt support that on the mini (yet?).

But I must say that for most things the HTTP_PROXY settings option works great. It also makes the other browser Sputnik to work here.

Youre probably right about the problem is with secure sites. The HTTP_PROXY probably does not cover the https protocol. I did try to setenv HTTPS_PROXY, but that did not work.
    But it did change something, because after I tried it, I will get an error requestor "error 5: could not resolve proxy name"
  • »17.05.10 - 06:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Even browsing from "regular" computers can be a pain if there's a proxy inbetween. In our office, we are forced to open "holes" into our firewall, to allow direct, proxy-less connections to certain web sites, that bark if browsed thuough proxy.

Could you talk to your network administrator, and see what he/she can do for you?

Or you might investigate which is the proxy's default gateway, and attempt to use it on your MorphOS. This "hack" (ahem) works over here (as a sign that network administrators don't care much about network setup).
  • »17.05.10 - 09:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Even browsing from "regular" computers can be a pain if there's a proxy inbetween. In our office, we are forced to open "holes" into our firewall, to allow direct, proxy-less connections to certain web sites, that bark if browsed thuough proxy.

Could you talk to your network administrator, and see what he/she can do for you?

Or you might investigate which is the proxy's default gateway, and attempt to use it on your MorphOS. This "hack" (ahem) works over here (as a sign that network administrators don't care much about network setup).

These apps work ok from the PCs with the same proxy setup as I use in MOS.
    And I cant discuss this matter with the network admins, for obvious reasons...
  • »17.05.10 - 11:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

amyren wrote:

These apps work ok from the PCs with the same proxy setup as I use in MOS.

Alright. Then, it seems clear that its the proxy functions of Origyn to blame. Pity they are so untested.

Quote:

And I cant discuss this matter with the network admins, for obvious reasons...

I suspected that. Who knows, perhaps if you showed them, they might fall in love with such a lovely operating system! Or better, you might find an ex-amigan living the boring (but profitable) life of a network administrator! There's many of us hiding there...
  • »17.05.10 - 15:21
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    The proxy support isn't done by OWB itself but by CURL library, actually (so likely something generic about CURL).
  • »17.05.10 - 15:45
    Profile Visit Website