Molk (MacOSX on Peg2) help needed
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vulture
    Hi!

As I've setup my morphos 2.2 as I intended and still waiting for my OS4.1 copy to arrive, I took my Tiger OSX DVD and tried to install it on my second (and currently empty) HD via molk. Now, I need the help of someone who has done the process before to help me a little here, cuz I'm pretty positive it's something blatanly obvious I'm missing. I'll tell you what I've done so far and please correct me if I'm wrong. As the molk readme says I've copied "molk" , "molk-menu" , "mol-data" and the "mol"-dir to my boot-partition, which is formatted to fastfilesystem (readme says affs and I assumed it means fastfilesystem, of course I could be wrong). Copied all the files of the install dvd to that partition as well. Then, from openfirmware, I type : boot /pci/ide/disk@1:0 molk (tried molk-menu as well - all the options) , but I always get an error and nothing happens.

Any advice? please? :)

Thx!
  • »09.03.09 - 15:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    http://obligement.free.fr/articles/molk.php

Time to learn french. ;-)
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »09.03.09 - 15:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vulture
    Thx for pointing me to this. I'll try a translator and see if it helps. again thx!
  • »09.03.09 - 16:06
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    I wonder if MOLK can be used on a Peg1 system. Thanks.
  • »28.11.11 - 18:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    molk does work i run it here. Runs OS9 and OSX

Also you can use OSX ON Peg1 I used to have it running quite well even on g3! But I used Debian MOL with kernel headers and mods from SVen Luther.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »29.11.11 - 07:00
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    MOLK seems to be quite easy to install. Of course it runs on a Peg2 but I wonder if it does on a Pegasos 1. Will give it a try on my Pegasos 1 and see what I can get. I will take a look at MOL as well.
  • »29.11.11 - 08:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    as I said earlier YES it works on Peg1!
  • »29.11.11 - 08:15
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    OK I noticed your signature that mentions this Peg2 that is why I am confused :)
  • »29.11.11 - 08:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wonder if MOLK can be used on a Peg1 system.

According to this posting it can, in a way. But according to that German thread (Google translation) you need to replace MOL 0.9.71 by MOL 0.9.68 inside MOLK as that's the last version running on Peg1.
  • »29.11.11 - 08:43
    CountRaven
    As I decided to return into this and try it once again on my Pegasos 1, I am kindly asking if someone has stored a 0.9.68 version of MOL which should be used in here. It seems that I am not able to locate it anywhere on the net. Or perhaps a full working package of MOL. Thanks.
  • »04.03.13 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    No one? :( :O
  • »07.03.13 - 20:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    MOL?
    As in "Mac On Linux" http://mac-on-linux.sourceforge.net/

Well i found this http://www.findthatzipfile.com/search-17497753-fZIP/winrar-winzip-download-mol-0.9.68-r4.tar.bz2.htm

But as the topic said Molk i did a quick search ;P
    http://www.ngi-info.com/downloads/MorphOS/MolK/

hope that helps.

X
  • »07.03.13 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Thanks for the link!

I downloaded the 0.9.68 version and replaced the MOL directory which was part of MOLK with the one of 0.9.68 version.

On Pegasos 1 straight to OF:

boot molk

A Linux Kernel will boot and a command prompt would appear! Great!

startmol -X --cdboot

Fatal Error: Failed to open /etc/mol/session.map :(

When I am trying with the 0.9.71 version the prompt would not appear, the system would go on booting -on linux- a penguin with an apple would appear (yeah) and then... freeze!

Would be great if I could run this on my Pegasos 1, as my Pegasos 2 -which I am sure that the 0.9.71 version would work- is still broken :(
  • »08.03.13 - 14:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    you could allways try "PegXmac"

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=no&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.no&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://obligement.free.fr/articles/pegxmacpegasos2.php&usg=ALkJrhg_6-KSnU8EVB4fcXdhuG0fU6Eevw

This is version 2.0 which conprend MacOnLinux a Mac OS emulator for Linux, version 0.9.70 +. Finally, note that for users of Pegasos I, it is recommended to use PegXMac SP . The article is based on a Pegasos II but installation operations for both are very similar.

This should be for the cd.iso, dont know if SP is inn there though.
    "http://www.monova.org/torrent/90782/PegXmac_for_pegasos2_1.4.4.html"

X

[ Edited by XzIt 08.03.2013 - 21:57 ]
  • »08.03.13 - 20:53
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Thanks a lot for the article I will try to locate the SP version as I am sure that 2.0 is not working on Pegasos 2. Keep you posted!!!! Still a keep an eye on MOL so anyone with a working version running on a Pegasos 1 can drop me a line! Thanks!
  • »10.03.13 - 13:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    For Guys with a Peg1 that want to run MOL:

Just install an older version of Debian. AFAIK you can apt-get MOL and it will automagically create the kernel mods and all the other hard to do bs. I know I had it working out of the box with a 2.4 kernel, and then when Sven Luther did the 2.6 kernel we had to manually compile the kernel modes and something else.. search old threads here and if PPCzone or whatever it was called still exsists check there.

Funny thing is peg1 doesn't run OSX as bad as you would think, its usable for sure!
  • »12.03.13 - 13:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    [QUOTE]OK I noticed your signature that mentions this Peg2 that is why I am confused :)[/QUOTE]

Lol you must be easily confused. I had a Pegasos1 way back in the "Betatester" days. I was a part of the Amiga "Phoenix" Group. Then later went on to work with Genesi on peg2 sales and ODW development, Psyslent, etc.

So trust my advice man i'm not making stuff up I had it running. Also, look for Sven Luther on the internet he used to be the Pegasos kernel maintainer for Debian! Oddly enough he was the Amiga Classic PPC mainainer too! pretty cool.. he knows a lot about MOL as far as modules but he's a busy guy i'm sure..Quote:

Quote:

• »12.03.13 - 13:19
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Well I have managed to install MOLK to a friend's Pegasos 2. It was not that difficult after all, it just need the correct DVD of OSX 10.4, I was trying with Leopard before. Anyway I have BIG problem to make the network work. Can anybody please give me some advice?

Here are the setting on my start-misc file:

Quote:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up # define your network-configs here
    route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0 # "
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1 # "

Perhaps that matters:

On the second line if I change the value to 192.168.1.1 I take an error message about route, -on MOLK startup- (Route: Netmask Does Not Match Route Address). if I leave it as 192.168.0.0 I take the message that eth0 is up and running. Same goes for 192.168.1.0 and even I comment it, the eth0 seems to be ok. UPDATE: Even if I ignore this error message and set the second line to be route add default gw 192.168.1.1, eth0 seems to work OK, I can ping the mahcine and get an IP after an ifconfig command.

I have tried with all the drivers as described on the molrc.net file, now the active driver is this:

Quote:

netdev: tun0 -tun

During the MacOSX 10.4 install:

1. I select Built In Ethernet as the method of connection.

2. I select DHCP on Network settings adding the DNS names (I add two DNS servers), I have read this as advice on other forums.

However on the Network Settings of the MacOSX the Built In Ethernet seems inactive -no cable connected- and I can not configure it pressing the Configure button -nothing happens-. Same thing happens whatever driver I may try on molrc.net file.

Please note that I can ping the mahcine through the 192.168.1.10 IP while I am in MacOSX.

Plus: An ifconfig command on the Linux prompt of MOLK would present me the IP etc.

I have tried to change the values on resolv.conf file, no result, I placed back the default values!

Well that is all I have done trying to get online! Any help would be great!

To cut a long story sort it seems that on the Linux part of MOLK my Network is ok but for a bloody unknown reasons to me I can NOT configure anything inside MacOSX the EtherNet Port seems to be in-active. I can NOT configure it, it would appear out of cable to netWork settings. The only state where I can configure the NetWork inside MacOSX is during the install. Where I can select the EtherNet Port, set manual or DHCP connection etc....

ps. Also I got no sound. There is a Sound Blaster Live on this Pegasos, if anyone knows how to get this fixed please share some info!

[ Edited by CountRaven 05.05.2013 - 11:46 ]
  • »04.05.13 - 18:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Or you can just buy a Power mac and run MorphOS and OSX on that.ems kind of silly to run OSX on a Peg.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.05.13 - 20:25
    CountRaven
    Thanks Jim, I already got two PowerMacs, one at 1.42ghz overclocked and one dual 866 Mhz.
  • »04.05.13 - 22:01
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    GOT IT running! I should have install the drivers located on MOL-Install folder inside MAcOSX. Thanks!
  • »06.05.13 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Afair there is no drivers for SoundBlaster for OSX so you will need to use build-in sound.

I cannot help with internet problem, it was ages ago while i played with MOLK..
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »06.05.13 - 12:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Afair there is no drivers for SoundBlaster for OSX so you will need
    > to use build-in sound.

That's true for native OSX but not for virtualized OSX. Running virtualized inside MOL, OSX uses a virtual audio device created by MOL, which maps to the audio system of the underlying Linux, which in turn uses its own SoundBlaster driver to talk to the SoundBlaster card.
    Some even say that using a SoundBlaster card instead of the onboard VIA audio accelerates the virtualization:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2125&forum=11&start=8
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3820&forum=11&start=5
  • »06.05.13 - 13:03
    CountRaven
    @pampers

Internet is running fine, the key point was that I was not installing the drivers that were included on the mol install virtual drive which was generated on my Mac OsX desktop. After doing that everything works fine.... It may sound obvious but this virtual drive and its ussage -it contains an installer with all the drivers-, was not mentioned anywhere on the online topics that I checked...
  • »06.05.13 - 15:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Andreas: thanks for correcting me, didn't know that.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »06.05.13 - 16:48
    Profile Visit Website