Firefox for MOS 2
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Well, I installed MOS2 and though some lil crashes or slow pointer click I can say it looks great and mostly finally I can use INTERNET with MOS! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!! But now I can see that Sputnik or Aweb or Ibrowse and I guess Voyager getting some limits with many web site that send me answers like " your browser is not recognized by ect..." So, I know that probably I'm not the first one, why MOS community don't ask to Mozilla team to develop a Firefox MOS release and to Sun for Java runtime for the same? I mean those apps look so cool in Linux, Macos, Solaris, OS2, BeOs and ect.. :-?
  • »04.07.08 - 16:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Hmm thats rather strange. What would be the benefit of Firefox over Sputnik ? Remember, Sputniks html core is based on webcore, which is pretty up to date, Apples Safari for example use it too (or rather khtml iirc, but they use the same base)
    I mean ok, Sputnik is not yet "there" but at least it should render the pages correctly. Ok flash stuff won`t work on Sputnik but a firefox port won`t help there either without a plugin...
    And the biggest Advantage of Sputnik is, that much work is allready done, with Firefox you have to beginn again from scratch....

But maybe it helps if you spoof as another Browser/OS Combination? (look into the Settings of Sputnik to change that)

Could you provide an example of a none working page?
  • »04.07.08 - 16:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Sputnik crashs on the site from runesoft for example, ...
    regards
    eliot
  • »04.07.08 - 16:47
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    for example I can't see my email page on Libero. Libero web site answer that my browser is not compatible.
  • »04.07.08 - 17:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    What do you want runesoft anyway? I think that they have abandoned AmigaOS and MorphOS ports. :-)
  • »04.07.08 - 17:08
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    The benefit is that Firefox is quite complete browser, Sputnik is still an incomplete release.
  • »04.07.08 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    I mean, I will be the first to like a native browser as Sputnik but I think in the meanwhile we can use a more web compatible browser because is not so nice renounce to visite some web sites just to remain addicted to a native MOS app :-)
  • »04.07.08 - 17:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

ossian1961 wrote:
    for example I can't see my email page on Libero. Libero web site answer that my browser is not compatible.

A good spoofing function is handy for situations like that.
    Also you may drop Libero a mail ('Constant dropping wears the stone').
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.07.08 - 17:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

ossian1961 wrote:

A good spoofing function is handy for situations like that.
    Also you may drop Libero a mail ('Constant dropping wears the stone').

hmmm that is the most long and hard way. I wonder that in a community where some good guy recompile Blender for MOS there's no one that don't recompile the Mozilla sources. I understand that could be cool get a native Mos web browser but I repeat in the meanwhile we can considere to use a mozilla browser like for example BeOs, a dead Os though so great os.
  • »04.07.08 - 17:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

The benefit is that Firefox is quite complete browser, Sputnik is still an incomplete release.

I think the search feature will answer your question(s). You dont just "recompile" Firefox and Blender and it will "work" on MOS.

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2008/7/4 11:01 ]
  • »04.07.08 - 18:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Yep, I understand that is not so simple I just only mean that we can't wait that sputnik will be complete, it could be nice we can use another more compatible browser in the meanwhile. So can we start to ask to mozilla team to make a mos version because seems that no one in mos community think to make a rirefox mos release? ;-)

[ Edited by ossian1961 on 2008/7/4 18:07 ]
  • »04.07.08 - 18:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I just think you're asking a question that was re-hashed plenty of times. Porting Firefox/Mozilla to the Amiga... has the bounty even been picked up? Anyone actually doing the port? That is a monster undertaking.

Sputnik is still under construction by one guy and will probably be the best browser available for MOS. If designing and/or porting a browser was easy, we'd all be doing it.

EDIT: I replied before your edit... My question is.. Is there even a "Mozilla Team" ? If there was I think discreetfx would be jumping up and down for joy posting on all Amiga forums that its being ported.

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2008/7/4 11:12 ]
  • »04.07.08 - 18:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    He means the search on MZ.org
    And it's not that easy like you think, if it would be only for a simpel recompile we would have Firefox for ages now.
    Did you never read about the Amizilla Projekt, a 10000$ Bounty for a Mozilla Port for all Amiga/Like OSes.
    It was started 3 or 4 years ago and there is still no Port.
    You better start to use the MZ.org search and get some information about a Port. Or write the Autor of Sputnik an email and ask him what takes him so long.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »04.07.08 - 18:13
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    well, I don't asking that one guy of MOS community must make a firefox release but I think we all can ask to Mozilla team to make a release to MOS, there are several release for dead os too like OS2 or BeOS. I think to ask that to Mozilla team and I will wait to buy the MOS 2 key till there will be a SERIOUS web browser. Why I must pay 111 or 150 euros for MOS 2 if I can't navigate in the web like other OS?

[ Edited by ossian1961 on 2008/7/4 18:16 ]
  • »04.07.08 - 18:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    ...it could be an idea... I mean: all of us should write hundreds of e-mails per day asking Mozilla team to prepare a MOS version of the browser.
    One day, when the fate will be kindly benevolent with MorphOS users, the princes of Mozilla would create a miracle...
    Ok, I'm a bit ironic... The Amigans are. So, MorphOS users are.
    I prefer send 50 euros per month to Marcik (I earn 400 per month...when I'm lucky:-)) asking him to go ahead.
    Are we 100 Morphers left? Ok, everyone sends 1 euro asking him to find a team that could help in that project.
    My brain is tired asking for charity to other OS developers....really.
    I don't want to be extremist: I bought a laptop with Windows thinking some operations were not available with MOS.. Then I created a Pay Pal account with IBrowse... Well...
    I even know that people works with PC and the standard is that program or the other.. Ok, this is right..
    I would like to see Open Office on MOS.. The sources are available.. Sadly, I'm not able to program anything..
    The situation is complex.....
    My opinion? I amused myself with MOS 1.4.5, I'm doing the same with 2.0! And thanks God I don't need a PC to work with... :-)
    Last, why did I buy MOS 2.0? It was thw way to say "thank you" to this boys. They promised, they did it.
    That's enough...

[ Edited by Jambalah on 2008/7/4 19:37 ]
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »04.07.08 - 19:35
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    well, better read the Marcik FAQ:
    http://khtml.ppa.pl/index.php?url=help
    because he can't put flash or java plugin in his sputnik and he's looking for someone who make those. The begining is not that good so :-(
  • »04.07.08 - 20:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Yeah well and your point is?
    You know, flash and java won`t apear out of nowhere even if there was a firefox port....
  • »04.07.08 - 20:49
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    srbin
    If marcik make plugin to play flash files in sputnik, and make sputnilk be pretty much usable as mozila is, why don't discreetfx donate amizila fund to Marcik? He really deserves it.

If sputnik does the good job, why do you have to use mozilla? It would be just the name, and i really don't care much about brands.

Question: Does sputnik support opening links in new tabs like mozila? Ie to press middle mouse button on link and new tab is opened?
    May the force be with you. Don't let the dark side of PC take over you.
  • »04.07.08 - 20:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    srbin: I agree. The funds for Firefox should go towards Sputnik development. I wouldnt put the whole $10k down.. I mean, set some goals and pay-as-you-go.
  • »04.07.08 - 21:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    If you are so fixated on FireFox/Mozilla..organize a development team and get cracking.

Asking 'Why?' helps no one :D
  • »04.07.08 - 21:24
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    well, I'm not so fixated on Firefox but seems that all the MOS browsers are very far to be used as well, so I only asked to get a experienced browser to MOS till waiting Sputnik improvment I don't think that could be so shaming thing, I mean though Linux comes with Epiphany or other, Linux users can use mozilla browser as well, I really don't understand that absolutism. We can help Marcik too and ask to Mozilla team a MOS release for the same. But if you, guys, think that is a useless thing, ok, I stop here. I don't want force anyone to do that.
  • »04.07.08 - 22:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    Hey, dejavu!

Amizilla, Morphzilla? that project is dead for years now, now Sputnik rules.

..:: No way back now, only foward ::..

X

[ Edited by XzIt on 2008/7/4 22:03 ]
  • »04.07.08 - 22:01
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    All that discussion reminds me when I asked about a Second Life viewer for MOS and srbin answered so :

"Spending time, money and effort for a stupid thing like Second Life is pure waste. To be honest, i don't think that SL is for normal, social people.

I would rather see amizilla, safari, or sputnik finished to finally buy efika."

and luckely Raf_MegaByte answered so :
    "Unfortunately if you see many other threads, the morphos users are becoming like sitting ducks, and they are just satisfied with the 4 software programs we have as killer applications and that other platforms do not have...

Once I asked for the chance to evaluate if it could be possible to have VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) or H323 Phone Programs, such as Skype-like programs right on MorphOS...

Internet phone live calls t is sure a kind of software that it is FAR BETTER useful than 2nd Life viewer...

But all I received as answers, was only vague comments, and the thread regarding IP Phones raised no real interest by MorphOS users reading this forum.

What a pity..."
  • »04.07.08 - 22:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    ossian

congrats on running morph2.. you must really have no clue whats invloved with a port like that.

THERE WILL NEVER BE A FIREFOX PORT FOR AMIGA OS TYPE SYSTEMS ITS WAY TO MUCH WORK AND WOULD COST WAY TOO MUCH MONEY

Besides, the handful of ppl that could pull it off have real lives and jobs so would have to be fully funded to do it and probably for YEARS
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »04.07.08 - 22:26
    Profile Visit Website