Dear Dr. Stupid,
    Why do we have to go to school?
    That's a very good question. It's becuse your parents are
    ALIENS!!! When your at school they shed there human skins and
    breathe drier lint! hahahaha!
  • »27.03.06 - 03:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    The article has valid points, but note that similar article can be written about MorphOS. Not about lack of hardware of course (as the next batch of Pegasos II boards is expected April 15-th), but about the system itself. There is no MOS Team activity since the last August. Also it is surprising Genesi is accepting MOS-based Efika projects, while I've been told by MOS Team members on #morphos that Efika is not supported. They could not give an answer why such projects are accepted and how is Genesi going to get hold on Efika MOS version. I've been told instead that believing Genesi is "displaying my ignorance", well...

Anyway, the current power of MorphOS is hardware, and third party applications. While I can't help with HW, I can work on applications, so I'm back to programming now :-). And doing something for MOS is definitely better than discussing AmigaOS 4 future.
  • »27.03.06 - 05:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    Well, this is a good point of view. 12 points out of possible 10 for you, Krashan.
  • »27.03.06 - 07:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

There is no MOS Team activity since the last August.

Pardon me, but there was a PowerUp release in late february... With new fixes & drivers, among others. And some of the other improvements were even partially visible to the users like Ambient changes (done by MorphOS Team members like kiero, fab1, tokai & itix), REXX bounty stuff by CISC, Poseidon updates, public fixing of Peg1/R100 support by bigfoot, "leaked" MUI4 from 20060226 by stuntzi, etc, etc... And these were only the improvements visible to everyone.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »27.03.06 - 11:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Kamul
    > Pardon me, but there was a PowerUp release in late february..

PowerUP release is good thing, but what about the main MorphOS direction - Morphos for Pegasos?

> And some of the other improvements were even partially visible to the users like
    > Ambient changes ....

Right, I'm grateful. But all this was done by _members_ of Mosteam, and not by a _TEAM_. I even get the feeling that there isn't any MOSTeam...
  • »27.03.06 - 12:18
    hooligan
    Im glad the author of the article found out what pretty much everybody else has known for a couple years.

For the people who have been following, the article is waste of time, and for those who havent, they are probably not interested. All in all, the article is not worth the bytes wasted on osnews server.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »27.03.06 - 12:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    PowerUp release is irrelevant for Pegasos owners. All other improvements you've mentioned were released individually by developers. I don't know their motivation, but can guess that they didn't want to pickle their software on their hard disks anymore. None of these updates were officially done by MOS Team. There is no new kernel, there are some things ready for ages like AltiVec support, still unreleased however.
  • »27.03.06 - 12:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Hmm... what is the officially done by MOS team in your opinion?
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »27.03.06 - 12:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Im glad the author of the article found out what pretty much everybody else has known for a couple years.

Exactly right. The article doesn't add anything new and if anything seems to suggest that Hyperion might be lacking in business savvy. Well they ain't out of business just yet.
  • »27.03.06 - 12:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I don't see how anything could be more "official" than the PowerUP
    update. For Pegasos, everyone knows that the next major update will be
    1.5 including altivec support. I suppose some 1.4.6 release could be
    possible, but as far as I know 1.4.5 doesn't have too many major
    issues that urgently needs fixing. Personally I'd appreciate altivec
    support a lot, but I guess the main attraction of 1.5 will be hundreds
    of small improvements that are not really revolutionary but that,
    together, will make the system more enjoyable. And I have no problem
    to understand that many of these changes are connected (even with
    altivec support) and that it's not as easy as people think to just
    release it in whatever state it is in now.

I know people are different, personally I don't use MUI4 or Ambient
    CVS versions, because I don't feel comfortable with unfinished
    software that still contains lots of bugs and features that seem to be
    there but in reality aren't working yet. Many others see this
    experimenting as part of their MorphOS experience, and would love to
    use a half-finished 1.5. I don't complain about this attitude at all,
    it means MUI4 and Ambient gets more betatesting for one thing.. but I
    also don't blame the mos team for the attitude that they want to
    release 1.5 only when they think it's ready. And I don't think it's
    fair when some people keep claiming that no one is working on 1.5,
    when it's obvious that people do. It must be rather demotivating to
    work for so long on 1.5 without a release, and I'm sure it doesn't
    help one bit when clueless people keep claiming that they aren't even
    doing the work they do..
  • »27.03.06 - 14:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    PowerUP is official, but again, it gives nothing to Pegasos owners. And my main point was not whining at MOS Team (it is a waste of time anyway), but show that laughing at hardwareless AmigaOS 4 is not what we should do now. I hope new MorphOS with AltiVec support will be released some sunny day.

It must be pointed out however, that there is still some informational inconsistency between Genesi and MOS Team. It is highly unprofessional in my humble opinion. And now I'm back to my source codes...
  • »27.03.06 - 15:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

PowerUp release is irrelevant for Pegasos owners.

Not, if they want to see some signs of life, or official releases... Any release is a sign that important people are still working on stuff, IMO.

Quote:

All other improvements you've mentioned were released individually by developers.

True. However, i think all of thoose updates will be included in a future MorphOS release (if that will ever happen.). So it's important to see this from a proper POV. What i think is that development of MorphOS is not so centralized than it was before, but there's still development, and developers are quite closely working together. (If you follow Ambient development, it's possible to see this...)

On the other hand, yes there's still no new kernel, and that's a problem... Maybe it will be addressed some time soon, as Rx00 and PowerUP problems were addressed... ;-)
  • »27.03.06 - 17:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

my main point was not whining at MOS Team (it is a waste of time anyway)

Yeah, whining is a waste of time... Asking proper questions (release dates doesn't count as that) is not. ;-) Talking about my experiences, i don't know any people who were asking proper questions, had the will of to do something good, and was patient enough, and they were still left alone...

Quote:

there is still some informational inconsistency between Genesi and MOS Team. It is highly unprofessional

It is. Talk with Genesi about this... (or even better, don't.)

[ Edited by Chain-Q on 2006/3/27 17:59 ]
  • »27.03.06 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Sure, laughing at OS4 people is like a shipwrecked man on a raft
    laughing at the swimming man in the water.
  • »27.03.06 - 18:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Also it is surprising Genesi is accepting MOS-based Efika projects, while I've been told by MOS Team members on #morphos that Efika is not supported. They could not give an answer why such projects are accepted and how is Genesi going to get hold on Efika MOS version. I've been told instead that believing Genesi is "displaying my ignorance", well...

Quote:

It must be pointed out however, that there is still some informational inconsistency between Genesi and MOS Team. It is highly unprofessional in my humble opinion.

Krashan, why oh why do you keep blaming us for what Genesi does or does not do?

Your beef is with Genesi, they're the ones making claims and promises, not us. You should really write an email to Genesi (or find some Genesi support forum) and ask them some questions about this. Chances are, however, that you'll just get some bullshit answers (experience tells me this).

I can't read Genesi's mind, neither can most other people, so why they keep pulling stunts like this is completely beyond me. But just because I/we don't understand the actions of Genesi, don't come blaming me/us for what they do, please.

Again, take it up with Genesi, quit whining at us.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »28.03.06 - 13:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @bigfoot: the problem is that only Genesi are (is) talking. I guess that if you were more communicative there wouldn't be so many people whining at you.

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »29.03.06 - 15:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

@bigfoot: the problem is that only Genesi are (is) talking. I guess that if you were more communicative there wouldn't be so many people whining at you.

That is a popular myth you like to repeat over and over again.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=4188&post_id=38760&viewmode=thread&order=0#38760

This particular issue was addressed almost 4 months ago, and the same information has been provided to anyone who asked.

In fact, prior to Krashan posting on here, I had already given him a lengthy explanation of how things worked on IRC, explicitly detailing out how hat Genesi does is Genesi's problem and in no way is related to MorphOS, the MorphOS team or anything close.

I don't really understand your comment, so I'd like you to point out exactly where I/we failed to be communicative enough regarding this issue, and exactly what measures I/we should have taken to further inform Krashan about the situation. Any such help would greatly be appreciated, as obviously I/we are failing badly here. Exactly what do we need to do to make it 100% crystal clear that what Genesi do and what Genesi announce is Genesi's problem and in no way is of my/our concern, nor my/our responsibility to live up to? Also, how exactly can I/we make it 100% crystal clear that the Efika is not a product supported by MorphOS?
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »29.03.06 - 15:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    Quote:

Also, how exactly can I/we make it 100% crystal clear that the Efika is not a product supported by MorphOS?

Setting up a webpage? *hint*
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »29.03.06 - 16:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    >Also, how exactly can I/we make it 100% crystal clear that the Efika is not a product supported by MorphOS?

I think that line is enough. Thanks for making it clear, now Neko should just reject those Efika/Morphos projects
    and give them to someone who can use them :)

Could you give any hints if Morphos(future development and releases) is dead too ? Just so people can get over it and move on ?
    Would save people some years of 'waiting', guess people are used to it, but atleast they will know theres nothing to wait for..

thanks..
  • »29.03.06 - 16:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Setting up a webpage? *hint*

Quote:

I think that line is enough.

OK, so which one is it? Is the original statement, made 4 months ago, enough, or does there need to be a web page about it?

Also, if the latter (or even the former), does this need to happen for every time Genesi announces something about MorphOS?
  • »29.03.06 - 16:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    Quote:

...or does there need to be a web page about it?

Yes, thats great. :lol:
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »29.03.06 - 17:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    >OK, so which one is it? Is the original statement, made 4 months ago, enough, or does there need to be a web page about it?

>Also, if the latter (or even the former), does this need to happen for every time Genesi announces something about MorphOS?

now its getting confusing again

quote from bbrv@ppczone:
    -----------------------------------------8<
    Simple answer:

Ralph decides, not Mark.

R&B
    -----------------------------------------8<

back to square one..

[ Edited by catohagen on 2006/3/29 17:56 ]
  • »29.03.06 - 17:55
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Ralph decided, Mark posted, Cato crossposted.
  • »29.03.06 - 18:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    What does MorphOS running on EFIKA have to do with OS4 failing?

Maybe Mark (or even the whole MorphOS team) should become an OS4 dev. With Hyperion getting contracts for their graphics drivers to Smith's Aerospace, there would be BIG MONEY for his talent there.

I mean, there can't be that much benefit to working with Genesi and getting some serious attention from IBM and Freescale partners in POWER.ORG, not when Hyperion is doing a lot more exciting things for their loyal fanbase! :-D :-D :-D :-D
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »29.03.06 - 19:55
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Snuffy
    ...and for those who havent, they are probably not interested. All in all, the article is not worth the bytes wasted on osnews server.

That's a good summary! I want to see AmigaOS4 be a success. I think it may if it's allowed to flourish in other/better hardware.
  • »29.03.06 - 22:39