Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bash64
    Recently youtube announced html5 as the default for their site,
    What is the proper setup for owb now?
    Should any youtube scripts be enabled?
    thanks
    Mac G5 ISight 21" 2.5 gb of ram 233gb hd matshita dvd-r uj-846
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »08.02.15 - 02:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I've had YouTube converter scripts disabled for few days now, and so far it's been working fine without them (I don't know yet if I've just been lucky or are all videos actually coming as HTML5 now).

At least YouTube Fullscreen Fix script should be in use still to get videos playing with less cpu load.

[ Edited by jPV 08.02.2015 - 09:32 ]
  • »08.02.15 - 07:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Will they convert all old videos in html5 too?
    I mean there are hundreds of thousands old videos uploaded in flash. Hope these will be remuxed and not deleted.

Also I read Youtube will allow uploading and streaming of "multiangle" videos featuring different point of views of same event.

Are our players supporting it?

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 11.02.2015 - 08:15 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »11.02.15 - 07:10
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    wow, so i can finally throw away the buggy flash plugin.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »11.02.15 - 11:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    Will they convert all old videos in html5 too?
    I mean there are hundreds of thousands old videos uploaded in flash. Hope these will be remuxed and not deleted.

Also I read Youtube will allow uploading and streaming of "multiangle" videos featuring different point of views of same event.

Are our players supporting it?

I thought YouTube videos have had multiple video formats several years now. I don't think any videos will be deleted.
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »11.02.15 - 12:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

bash64 wrote:
    Recently youtube announced html5 as the default for their site,
    What is the proper setup for owb now?
    Should any youtube scripts be enabled?
    thanks

It is about time! I was worried they would never make html5 default. Even better would be they stop supporting Anobe Flash Player entirely. :-D
  • »11.02.15 - 12:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    wow, so i can finally throw away the buggy flash plugin.

I have done this with Microsoft Windows approximately 18 months ago. I did not like Flash Player so I finally uninstalled them. And later, the HTML5 videos appeared automatically without it, but not until after a quick "A Plug In Is Missing" error message appears. Perhaps this error message will finally go away.
  • »11.02.15 - 12:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Will they convert all old videos in html5 too?

They've been transcoding old videos to WebM for several years. I guess this process has been finished hence them making HTML5 the default.

> there are hundreds of thousands old videos uploaded in flash.

Flash Video (FLV) can be used in HTML5.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8510&forum=9&start=1
  • »11.02.15 - 16:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > so i can finally throw away the buggy flash plugin.

Did the swfdec plugin ever really work with Youtube? Or are you talking about Adobe's Flash Player on non-MorphOS systems (in which case it should be noted that Youtube has supported HTML5 for half a decade)?
  • »11.02.15 - 16:32
    Cego
    @Andreas_Wolf

i'm not really into the stuff, but you had to install swfdec plugin to make some videos work in html5 mode afaik. probably something to do with one of the owb scripts.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »11.02.15 - 20:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I've tried out the HTML5 setting but it's really eats up all my CPU. The flash plugin is not as pretty, but I can watch YT flicks with about 60% CPU load on my G5 (after it's completely loaded). I've tried to get a good, non CPU consuming setting on the Youtube Center script but no luck there either.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »12.02.15 - 00:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I've tried out the HTML5 setting but it's really eats up all my CPU. The flash plugin is not as pretty, but I can watch YT flicks with about 60% CPU load on my G5 (after it's completely loaded). I've tried to get a good, non CPU consuming setting on the Youtube Center script but no luck there either.

Aeh, Youtube HTML5 in OWB is much less cpu intensive than the Flash plugin (and much better supported).

A few figures:
    * a 360p H264 youtube video in overlay mode takes less than 40% CPU on my Pegasos2 G4.
    * On a G5, 720p H264 in non overlay mode (i.e slow rendering mode) doesn't even take all cpu, and 1080p can even be achieved without eating all the cpu, but in overlay mode only.
  • »12.02.15 - 00:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Fab

What do I need to do to achieve that?

My MorphOS blog
  • »12.02.15 - 00:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The flash plugin is not as pretty, but I can watch YT flicks with about 60% CPU
    > load on my G5

How do you tell it's even played by the swfdec plugin and not via HTML5?
  • »12.02.15 - 09:22
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    @Andreas_Wolf

i'm not really into the stuff, but you had to install swfdec plugin to make some videos work in html5 mode afaik. probably something to do with one of the owb scripts.

Videos have been working in HTML5 without the flash plugin with the scripts, but from the OWB readme:

"Please note that if the Flash plugin is not installed, a "Get Flash" message will be shown over the video, and will also prevent the video from being started automatically, which means one of the links below the video will have to be clicked to play the video."

It was enough just to have plugin installed, even if disabled from the settings otherwise.
  • »12.02.15 - 11:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It was enough just to have plugin installed, even if disabled from the settings otherwise.

Interesting. From a website's perspective, is there really a difference between an installed but deactivated browser plugin and a not installed browser plugin? So far I've believed that the browser's answer is the same in either case when asked about available plugins.
  • »12.02.15 - 11:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I'm not really sure how things work. All I know is that if I use the flash player with the HTML5 converter scripts and the Fullscreen fix script I can watch YT movies with 720p (?) and smooth playback with 60-70% CPU load. When I try the HTML5 player, with or without scripts (including Youtube Center) I get 100% CPU load and jerky playback with 360p, even when everything is loaded.

So I need some help from you who do get nice, smooth playback in finding out what I'm doing wrong. Please :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »12.02.15 - 13:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I'm not really sure how things work. All I know is that if I use the flash player with the HTML5 converter scripts and the Fullscreen fix script I can watch YT movies with 720p (?) and smooth playback with 60-70% CPU load. When I try the HTML5 player, with or without scripts (including Youtube Center) I get 100% CPU load and jerky playback with 360p, even when everything is loaded.

So I need some help from you who do get nice, smooth playback in finding out what I'm doing wrong. Please :-)

I highly doubt you ever played any youtube videos with the actual Flash plugin, actually. You probably just use the builtin HTML5 player (that is a bit faster than youtube's HTML5 player, but still). And in any case, even youtube's HTML5 player should be fast enough, even in non overlay mode, on a G5 class machine.

Please provide links and i'll try again.
  • »12.02.15 - 14:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Fab

Well, the two players look and behaves very different. So there is something.

Links? What kind of links?

My MorphOS blog
  • »12.02.15 - 17:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @jPV

Yes, fullscreen works with the fullscreen script (not without) and then I get a CPU load of some 75-80%. But it flickers a lot.

My MorphOS blog
  • »13.02.15 - 00:18
    Profile Visit Website
    bash64
    I can barely play a 360p video. It is horrible and missing tons of frames.
    I tried removing all scripts and then having all scripts enabled.
    Makes no difference. I cannot play a YT video to save my life.

Can we get a list of some basic stuff to check?
    swf plugin installed? yes/no?
    scripts enabled? yes/no?
    etc,etc...
    Mac G5 ISight 21" 2.5 gb of ram 233gb hd matshita dvd-r uj-846
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »19.02.15 - 18:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    NicePics13
    Yes, the youtube/vimeo fullscreen scripts are essential but only work in fullscreen :-)
    Cuts the CPU usage easily in half!

CBM Amiga 1200 + 4MB AMITEK with 33MHz 68882 FPU
    PowerBook5,4 1024MB 1333MHz G4
  • »19.02.15 - 18:24
    Cool_amigaN
    For me Youtube plays smooth on fullscreen with scripts enabled and spoofing as iPad only (on a G4 1.6Ghz). Youtube center doesn't seem to work since if I enabled it I keep looping on the save settings page when accessing youtube. I believe that's because I can't login with my google credentials and save the settings in the first place. But anyway, I am happy with it :) Btw some "kinky" :)) streaming websites have recently stoppped working (player remains on buffering) while others started working out of nowhere :P
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »20.02.15 - 09:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    For me Youtube plays smooth on fullscreen with scripts enabled and spoofing as iPad only (on a G4 1.6Ghz).

I haven't used any spoofing for Youtube ever. For me the scripts have worked when identified as OWB itself. And fullscreen has been smooth. But as said, now you only need fullscreen scripts and others don't seem to be necessarily anymore... unless you want other functionality of them...

Quote:

Youtube center doesn't seem to work since if I enabled it I keep looping on the save settings page when accessing youtube. I believe that's because I can't login with my google credentials and save the settings in the first place.

It isn't needed to login with google accounts. Youtube Center saves its settings to your own computer to browser's LocalStorage directory. Maybe you have disabled the Local Storage from OWB's privacy settings? If you want to keep it disabled for privacy reasons, you may enable it from the per site URL Settings just for Youtube.
  • »20.02.15 - 09:36
    Profile Visit Website