Running Lightwave 5.0 on MorphOS 2.5
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Quote:

number6 wrote:

(1)The patch is no longer required, as you well know. The fact that is still listed on OS4depot is unfortunately misleading.

The patch is no longer required? Why is that? Are you referring to Os4? What has changed?

Quote:

2)Greyscale rendering? Not here. Ham8 on screen.

(3)VistaPro - You confused me on another site. I thought you had 24bit preview on screen, so I said nothing. You should have Ham8 preview in huge size, if you wish to.

How are you getting HAM 8 screens? OS4 mode promotion does this? Can Morphos do this?
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »11.08.10 - 05:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @AmigaDave

Sorry I can't help you with MorphOS, this is why I suggested a team to cover it all.

Hopefully this will get you started anyway:

the most recent thread

Click the link in post #27 as well, since that should take you to the earlier thread where I outlined 3 different methods. If you read the responses carefully, you'll see what I mean about some people being successful with the directions and some not.

@Magnetic

I'll try to explain ham8 later. Have to run atm. It was obvious to me that one method of mode promotion was not giving people the ham8 screen while another was. The modepro method works.

• »11.08.10 - 13:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for the info and links number 6. I hope you make it off the island some day (I can't remember how the original series ended, but it was one of my favorite shows. I think I just dated myself, not that it is a secret that I am an old fart)
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.08.10 - 18:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Besides all that talk about running Lightwave, didn't it require a dongle to run at all ? How is that supposed to work on any MorphOS machine or even AROS ?
  • »12.08.10 - 01:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Pega1

Well as of LW 5 there is a STAND ALONE VERSION no "Dongle" or Toaster board required...

I was personally given my 5. 1 Stand Alone copy by a NewTek rep at the St Louis Gateway Amiga CON in 1997..
  • »12.08.10 - 03:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @Magnetic

Quote:

The patch is no longer required? Why is that? Are you referring to Os4? What has changed?

Yes. Reference is to OS4.x. There is an option that was added to preferences for Planar screens on RTG.
    It should be mentioned in the threads I linked to.

Added: I can't be certain that the option I mentioned answers "what has changed" regarding the patch. But it's necessary to get the results I published. Maybe someone more familiar with code can say.

[ Edited by number6 on 2010/8/12 0:38 ]
  • »12.08.10 - 04:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Pega1

Well as of LW 5 there is a STAND ALONE VERSION no "Dongle" or Toaster board required...

I was personally given my 5. 1 Stand Alone copy by a NewTek rep at the St Louis Gateway Amiga CON in 1997..

I bought a boxed Lightwave 5.0 Amiga version that was advertised as "Stand Alone" on eBay a few years ago and found that it required a dongle and I could not run it after installation. The seller ripped me off and did not send the dongle, nor would he return any of my emails after the sale. He then disappeared from eBay completely, probably to create a new account.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/8/11 23:35 ]
  • »12.08.10 - 06:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    So what is the deal now ? Any legal copy up to 5.0 has a hardware dongle or a Toaster attached to work and 5.1 was released without any add-on requirement ? I'm quite sure that I needed a dongle add-on (was it parallel or joyport?) in the 90s to run a legal copy of Lightwave on my Amiga .....
  • »13.08.10 - 18:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    If that is true, I wish NewTek would either continue to sell 5.1 via an instant download, at a low price, or release it as freeware/public domain, or open source would be even better so it could be improved and perhaps made to run native on MorphOS, but I know that won't happen.

I would rather buy a copy of 5.1 than risk downloading a pirate copy of it off the Web.
  • »13.08.10 - 18:34
  • ASiegel
    All 5.x versions required a hardware dongle as far as I know. (So did the PC port of Lightwave 5.x, by the way.)

Any references to "standalone" versions of Lightwave allude to those that did not require a Video Toaster to function.
  • »13.08.10 - 18:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    pega1 + Aseigel

Rest assured that there was a "Stand alone' amiga LW 5 version. I was a newtek authorized reseller and installer... and considering I posses the cd and it runs i'd say i'm not guessing...

The whole point was the dongle used to be the Video toaster board (so forced ppl to buy one to run LW) then there was a 3.5 version with a dongle (parallel port iirc) and there was LIGHT RAVE which had its own dongle and allowed u to run 3.x without toaster board. As I said twice now way later 5.x version they had a DONGLELESS TOASTERLESS stand alone version.

[ Edited by magnetic on 2010/8/14 16:48 ]
  • »14.08.10 - 20:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @magnetic,

I don't doubt that you have a stand alone version, but are you certain that it was sold to the general public? Did you have many copies to sell when you were an authorized reseller? I would like to find such a version, but have never seen one for sale. If Newtek sold a lot of that stand alone version, I would think it would be easier to find, so maybe the sales of it were not that good.

Edit: I bought my "Stand Alone" 5.0 Amiga version of Lightwave because I wanted to run in on my A1200 w/060 & 256mb Fast RAM. I did not install it on any of my other Amiga systems because I could put a Toaster card in them and install the version of Lightwave that comes with the last version of Toaster/Flyer software, v4.3. I don't remember if the v4.3 Toaster/Flyer CD has version 5.1 Lightwave on it and if yes, can I install just Lightwave from that CD onto my A1200/060?

I'll have to check that out later today (it's 3am now, can't sleep again).

Blender might be a better choice to run on MorphOS2.x, but there are tons of Lightwave objects and related files available and Cycas CAD can import/export Lightwave files. I need to find my registered Cycas CAD archive and try to install it on MorphOS2.x to see if it will run. Has anyone else here run Cycas CAD on MorphOS2.x?

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/8/15 3:31 ]
  • »15.08.10 - 09:14
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    I notice on my VT4.3 installation CD that there is a BigFoot.exe installation executable.

Anything to do with Mark Olsen (BigFoot)?

EDIT: Just noticed that he was only 25 when the Obligement interview was published, so I guess not :-)

[ Edited by boot_wb on 2010/8/15 13:58 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »15.08.10 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Has anyone else here run Cycas CAD on MorphOS2.x?

5 years ago hooligan managed to run it on MorphOS 1.x at least.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3449&forum=9#31279
  • »15.08.10 - 16:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Amigadave

Quote:

Blender might be a better choice to run on MorphOS2.x, but there are tons of Lightwave objects and related files available and Cycas CAD can import/export Lightwave files.

Hmm yes, Blender is more modern and full featured and has a support community. However, having said that, I'm pretty familiar with LW and the interface is a joy to use. I also have many LWO files that are cool. Blender's interface is way complicated and there is a steep learning curve to get to the level i can use Amiga ver of LW.

As far as Stand Alone, someone mentioned that it may have not been available to the general public. this may be the case, but I seem to remember a couple of vendors selling a dongless (stand alone) version of LW5.. Software hut for one. I'm sure i'm one of the few people running this 5.1 version of Amiga LW. its the last version iirc. We used to be vendors at every amiga show in us for a few years, and I was a newtek/toaster dealer too. Its cool NewTek had a cool booth a couple of years back @ NAB broadcaster convention in Las Vegas, so they are still alive!
  • »16.08.10 - 00:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • JJ
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Newtek still alive! Didn't they just reelase LW10 ?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
  • »16.08.10 - 08:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Didn't they just reelase LW10 ?

Yes:
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53945
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32214&forum=2

Direct URL of the video: click me
  • »16.08.10 - 12:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    number6

Never heard back from you in regards to how you got "HAM8" modes working??

Anyone else any luck with Vista?
  • »17.09.10 - 04:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @Magnetic

Sorry to get back to you so late. Been too busy lately.
    I think by showing how many different ways I was able to get VistaPro running, I may have made this difficult to follow. My apologies.
    I'll just copy the relevant posts I've made to do this one simple way.
    Please keep in mind that I have no idea if the results can/will be the same on MorphOS. Nor do I know whether using ModePro will conflict in any way with MorphOS builtin method of handling promotion, which I've read about here.

For VistaPro 3.x

Quote:

ok. Let me update the methodology so you start rendering in ham-8 at 896x640. heh! I'll assume a working knowledge of ModePro, but feel free to ask questions. These instructions are for VistaPro V3.x, which is what I assume you are attempting to run. Two versions are included for VistaPro. We'll use the .881 version and absolutely NO need to disable JIT, despite older posts indicating that.

ModePro

(01)Install ModePro. Currently I have it in WBstartup, but you can put it somewhere else. In that case you have to start the program PRIOR to trying to run any program trying to make use of it. I strongly suggest just having it start in WBstartup, so you don't have to even think about it. I have not seen any file conflicts in the 4 years I've used it.
    (02)Toggle the upper left gadget to say "screenmodes". Make an entry in the dialog box at bottom for the screen name. "VistaPro 3.0" (Please note there is a space between the "o" and the "3".
    (03)Toggle the middle gadget of ModePro (promotion) to show "screenmode".
    (04)Use the selector to choose "P96-0:FAKENATIVE: 640 x 480.
    (05)Save your prefs

Prefs/GUI - obviously this part is an OS4.x element. You would have to translate this to whatever is equivalent in MorphOS.

(01)Go to "controls" and checkmark the box "Planar screens on RTG"
    (02)Save your prefs

At this point you should be able to start VistaPro 3.x (from icon) and see the familiar main screen, that so many of us remember.

For Ham8 rendered screen on VistaPro 3.x

Quote:

(1)Click right mouse button on menu item at top "GrModes"
    (2)Select "Graphics Panel"
    (3)Click and make active each of the following:
    "Hires"
    "SuperHires"
    "Ham"
    "Ham8"
    "Interlace"
    "Super72"
    For overscan width and height click on 896x640.
    Be sure the numbers in the checkboxes above for "image size" and "display size" also show 896x640.
    (4)Click "ok" to exit Graphics Panel

From now on, When you click render, you will indeed get a HAM8 896x640 screen with little to no visible Ham fringing. btw-you can use a smaller screen to prove to yourself this is HAM. The fringing will be obvious.

Please let me know if this works for you. Again, the key seems to be planar screens on rtg.

• »17.09.10 - 15:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for the links to that video and the story number6.

Great job on making that video and working out the problems of getting LightWave3D working on your X1000 Mike B.

Since you have LightWave3D installed on both your X1000 and your G4 MacMini running MorphOS, I would also be interested in a comparison write up, or even better, a video showing the two systems running identical LightWave3D operations and scene animations.

I have to get LightWave3D setup properly on my X1000 and G4 MacMini before I go to AmiWest this year, so I can display it running there.

Again, great job Mike B.!
  • »30.07.12 - 20:58