How to copy a CD/DVD with FryingPan or MakeCD ?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    I have tried to copy a CD with FryingPan but I've ended up with a few crashed CD's.
    FryingPan has no direct copy Button, so if tested MakeCD it was able to make an image
    of a CD but it can't burn with my Pioneer DVD writer. The image file is not loadable with
    FryingPan.
    After trying for an hour I've started debian and copied the CD in less then 10 minutes.
    I can't believe that there is no way to do this with MorphOS.
    What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for your help!
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »07.04.12 - 21:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Yeah there is a good CD/DVD software solution missing from the Amiga world :( those MakeCD and FryingPan programs sees a bit out fated.
  • »08.04.12 - 06:55
    Profile Visit Website
    MarK
    well, first create a CD image, and then burn it as many times as You need it :) i made this several times in past with both MakeCD and FryingPan.

bye, MarK.
  • »08.04.12 - 08:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    There is no need for a "copy"-button....

1:1 copy (FryingPan): Make image_file from CD, switch from "Create new disc" to "Import existing disk image", drag&drop image there (or put it to "session file"-requester) and burn it - that's all!

Other way without iso image: Copy content of CD to HD, drag&drop all files to FryingPan and burn it .......
    (With 2 cd-drives you can copy "on the fly" - works fine on my PEG2 with internal burner and 2nd USB-Drive.....)
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »08.04.12 - 13:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    MarK,
    Quote:

well, first create a CD image

Amigaharry2,
    Quote:

1:1 copy (FryingPan): Make image_file from CD

OK, I see what you want me to do. Honestly its what I tried to do ... again and again. By now I've got a big bag of plastic trash. And
    no working CD.
    But maybe you can help me with this. How do you create a CD-image with FryingPan that can be burned afterwards (and does show the same contents)?
    I found 2 ways to make useless images.
    For example :
    1)Go to the contents page select the session and press download tracks.
    2)Go to the tracks/ISO Builder press Add and select all content, then press Build image.

Now maybe someone can tell me how to do it right ?
    I use FryingPan 1.3.2 downloaded with a link from amiga.org.
    MakeCD does not work with my CD writer.

Thanks for your replies!
    greets defender
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »08.04.12 - 18:53
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    defender,
    Quote:

I have tried to copy a CD with FryingPan but I've ended up with a few crashed CD's.
    FryingPan has no direct copy Button, so if tested MakeCD it was able to make an image
    of a CD but it can't burn with my Pioneer DVD writer. The image file is not loadable with
    FryingPan.
    After trying for an hour I've started debian and copied the CD in less then 10 minutes.
    I can't believe that there is no way to do this with MorphOS.
    What am I doing wrong ?

Have you tried manually selecting the correct driver for the DVD drive in MakeCD's preferences? This is probably CDR_SCSI3_ATAPI.driver as per MakeCD's support pages.

To accomplish this I'd use MakeCD. Select the CD as the source and image file as destination (as you have done) with makecd. Then choose the image file as the source and a blank CD as the destination.
    MakeCD is actually a really powerful burning program even through the GUI, it's just not very clearly laid out imho: too many different windows popping up.
    It even gives you the option of automatically deleting the image file from hdd once it has been burned, essentially giving a CD>CD copy mode.

Just a thought, but you aren't trying to make a DVD (rather than CD) image file (ie >2GB) on a 2GB limited filesystem such are you? This would obviously cause problems.

Also, ensure you aren't burning the disk image as a file onto the destination CD (easy mistake if you aren't familiar with a particular burning utility).
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »08.04.12 - 20:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    Thanks for your help!
    MakeCD did something that looked really strange to me.
    It made 24 files as a Disk image but somehow it made a useable
    music cd with 12 tracks like the original.
    Hey I just needed 7 hours to (nearly) understand the program -
    I need to play with it some more :-)
    FryingPan is still refusing, but maybe I get to it some how.

greets
    defender
  • »08.04.12 - 22:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I just needed 7 hours to (nearly) understand the program

I guess you didn't bother much with the excellent documentation then ;-)
  • »10.04.12 - 10:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    I trashed most of my CD's with the 'help' of FryingPan (just because it came with PackUltimate).
    Tried the online documention - that does not really help. I had never used MakeCD and it looked to
    me like it could not write to my CD writer. It refused to write the first 3 attemps I made.
    In the last 6-8 years there was Nero and K3b and for these programs you do not need to read
    (not even think about what you are doing). I bought a 50cd-r pack because I am eager to
    get one of my favorit games to run on my CD32 (Globdule from Psygnosis). I have an ISO
    that works with uae but not with the real thing. Now I take a look into MakeCD's docs to see
    how far it will get me :-)

greets defender
  • »10.04.12 - 15:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    Despite it's dated appearance MakeCD is actually an excellent CD burning software. You will end up with less coasters for sure if you stick with MakeCD. I have never had very good luck with FryingPan although it has become at least somewhat usuable now. Still MakeCD is a program you can trust. :)
  • »10.04.12 - 16:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Cannot agree! Im doing all my Cds and DVDs with FP without any troubles. I can't understand defenders problem: FP is very easy to use (all drag&drop like copying a HD) and (my opinion) self-explainable.... (a brief documentation of the older FP (V0.4) can be found on FPs homepage - it may be helpfull)....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »10.04.12 - 19:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I had never used MakeCD

All the more important is consulting the documentation.

> Now I take a look into MakeCD's docs to see how far it will get me :-)

Wise decision eventually. I think I will never understand why so many people keep ignoring the documentation, jumping through all kinds of hoops and only use the docs as a very last resort, if at all. That's very much like meaning to fail. I mean there're people who have put much effort into writing these things ;-)
  • »10.04.12 - 19:57
    hooligan
    Quote:

I guess you didn't bother much with the excellent documentation then ;-)

Well, you know.. for copying disc one shouldn't even need to to read documentation :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »10.04.12 - 20:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > for copying disc one shouldn't even need to to read documentation :)

True. The ideal application is completely self-explanatory. And the less ideal the handling of an application is, the more important a good documentation and also reading that documentation get. MakeCD needs some getting used to, maybe also due to the Triton GUI, but its documentation is really good in my opinion.
  • »10.04.12 - 21:14
    Jambalah
    Walking thru dvd authoring I supposed that creation of a dvd with menu was the most difficult part.... I was wrong!
    Burning a dvd it's becoming a nightmare :-D
    Before I surrender to any windows burning cd/dvd prog and since FryingPan is not useful (useless, I mean) to burn an iso image, is there somethimg to do?!?
    I tried with dvdrtools but I have poor results (read: burned 7 dvds with no results and errors...). Anyone use it?!?
    I'm using a LG DVD burner (wich works ok for cd burning) but no lucky with dvd.
    Tia for any help!!!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »22.05.12 - 21:05
    xyphoid
    Two ways in doing this, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

1st, probably easier, use bluehd program but you need to install a buch of programs, and make sure arguments are right do a MZ search for threads.
    It will convert to mpeg then you burn the ts_files to dvd which will give you a playable dvd on "some" players (not magnovox).

or

2nd, convert video file to mpeg format using eg.

ffmpeg -i file:mymorphos:yourfile.avi -s hd1080(if you want this format) -target dvd file:yourdrivewithroom:temp/file/yourfilename.mpg

which ever converter works for you, some prefer mencoder...I don't.

Install dvdauthor and create an auth.xml file and go from there. This is usually quicker, but as fickle, if not more.

eg

<dvdauthor dest="yourdrivewithroom:temp/DVD">
    <vmgm/>
    <titleset>
    <titles>
    <video format="ntsc" aspect="16:9" />
    <pgc>
    <vob file="yourdrivewithfilelocation:" chapters="0,300,600,900,1200,1500,1800,2100,2400,2700,3000,3300,3600,3900,4200,4500,4800,5100,5400,5700,6000,6300,6600,6900,7200,7500,7800,8100,8400,8700,9000," />
    </pgc>
    </titles>
    </titleset>
    </dvdauthor>

copying and pasting this above to editor(rename auth.xml), sustituting your arguements, then open a cli (shell window) and do

dvdauthor -x mymorphos(your.xml file location):auth.xml

should get you the necessary formats then drag and drop into fryingpan (registered)
    Again a raw playable dvd is created without buttons or chapters.

Chapters are doable, but I haven't mastered buttons as it requires positioning ect, and I'm not that pressed for them.
  • »23.05.12 - 04:46
    Jambalah
    Thx Xyphoid!
    I've never used bluehd program (I will try) but I tried dvdengine unsuccesfully.
    So I studied some tutorials in the web to make a complete dvd authoring using different programs.
    I used:

mp2enc to create a mp2 file (to use with dvd menu, required)
    jpeg2yuv to create a n frames video starting from a jpeg image and I piped datas to mpeg2enc to create a m2v video
    mplex to encode mp2 file with m2v file so to have a menu with sound
    spumux to create the menu adding buttons (a single button in my case) to previous mpg file (the menu video file)
    dvdauthor to create the dvd structure joining together menu and effective video-film
    mkisofs to create an ISO image to burn on a DVD

The DVD structure seems to be correct though I noticed some problems trying to play dvd with MPlayer (using "play dvd from directory" option):
    if I use no dvd menu video is heavily slow (cache fill, play 1 or 2 seconds, stop and restart).
    If I use dvd menu:
    - menu background image has some graphic corrupted parts (jpeg2yuv encoding problems? I will check this..). Graphic issues are not visible if I play menu vob file.
    - pressing "play movie" buttons makes the video-film start but button doesn't disappear! FForward solve but it shouldn't happen....
    - video has no audio though is there... Playing the vob file causes no problems at all and audio is fine.
    Let's go studying some more! =D

The real problem now is to burn a DVD!! I wasn't able to perform this with FryingPan (registered) and I don't know if this is a DVD burner problem. I suspect LG burner is not appreciated by FryingPan wich sometimes recognize a new (recordable) dvd disc as a "read-only" disc. Not mentioning FryingPan doesn't recognize ISO images too... That's why I tried DVDRtools a suite wich has inside "dvdrecord" command to burn CDs/DVDs but again no luck.
    I'm going to try this on MDD DVD burner (Pioneer) and let's see what is going to happen...
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »23.05.12 - 15:02