Sound extremely low on mac mini under morphos 2.7
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    The other day i was trying to read the vague diskmag, and noticed that the volume was almost inaudible, then checket mplayer with a mp3 and the it came extremely low as well. I went to system settings, then audio, and checked the volume was up for all the units(musical, 0, 1, 2). So, what could be happening to my system?.
    I checked the main volume know and it is at the top.
    Sound is almost inexistant, barely audible. On osx sound works perfectly, so no bad sounchip in the mini.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »17.06.11 - 14:26
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Did you try to move the screenbar audio slider anyway?

There's a couple of bugs in the module:

1) if the volume is turned down, then the machine rebooted, the slider is shown at the 'maximum' position after a reboot but the volume remains low (moving the slider resets the volume).

2) If there are two screens open showing the screenbar modules, adjusting the volume on one screen does not update the position of the slider on all screens.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »17.06.11 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Yes, i moved the slider but no difference.
  • »17.06.11 - 17:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Well, i tinkered today a bit more, and played fwith the tab that has several options(safe, safe and dynamic, maximum etc...), and when i put it in safe and dynamic, it goes like always. But i recall i always had it in the safe mode and it sounded well. Maybe i'm not remembering that well. Can anyone with a Mac Mini confirm the sound levels with safe and safe and dynamic?
    Thanks in advance!!!
  • »18.06.11 - 14:06
    xyphoid
    not sure how to track down your issue, however my global settings is on debug level: none (all the way left)
    default anti-click time: 0ms (all the way left), volume scaling: Full Volume

options:

headphone icon volume: +0.0dB (all the way right)
    monitor: -24.0dB (all the way Left)
    Gain: +0.0dB (all the way left)

Music Unit - Applel2S:HiFi16:bit stereo++
  • »18.06.11 - 15:51
  • Just looking around
    tygre
    Dear all,

I don't know if this issue has been resolved? I have the same problem on my PowerMac G4 v3.6: the sound on the Mac and a startup (the Mac "clonk") are fine but playing any sound in MorphOS v2.7 is bearly (if at all) audible.

What am I missing? Is there anything I could do to help tack this issue?

Cheers!
    Yann

PS. I already tried setting up the audio preferences has reported above and rebooting the computer, no chance...

[ Edited by tygre 31.10.2011 - 14:44 ]
  • »30.10.11 - 22:19
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    klapdeur
    Youll have to go into ahi prefs and raise the volume for the units itself, i did that on my mac mini and put all the gain sliders up. now its working like it should. with everything. mplayer etc.
    Klapdeur Os: Systems: MorphOS 1.4.5 Pegasos 1 april fixed voodoo 4500 MorphOS 2.0 Not yet registerd A1200T 1230 196 mb scsi mediator voodoo 3 network pci scsi cdburners jaz 2gb Ide cd-rw,dvdplayer,zip100in A400D ppc amiga os3.9/4.0 / MorphOS pow
  • »31.10.11 - 23:16
  • Just looking around
    tygre
    Thanks a lot, I tried using the AHI Preferences (from Aminet) and it is getting even more puzzling to me :-? In the "AHI preferences" window, when I click "Play a test sound", I can hear a nice little buzz but, still, AmigaAMP seems mute... Any idea of what I am missing?

Yann

PS. In case it is relevant: I am using AmigaAMP with the mpega.library.
  • »01.11.11 - 05:08
  • Just looking around
    tygre
    Hi all!

Here are some more insight into my problem, thanks to the help of Thomas from AmigaAMP:

- In a fresh installation of MorphOS, the WBStartup contains "Mixer". I ran this program a noticed that the sound volume was set to -12.0db, I moved it up to 0.0db and now I can listen to some MP3 using AmigaAMP, although the sound is still not quite high.

- Following on my "success", I played with different configurations of speakers/headphones and realised that I must plug either the Mac speakers at the back of the computer or headphones at the front to hear some music. If I plug "normal" set of speakers in the audio output port of the computer at the back, I can hear the Mac chime in the speakers when the computer boots but no music in AmigaAMP, only a buzzing sound.

Also, I realised that I must reboot the computer each and every time that I plug/unplug speakers/headphones to make sure that I can hear the music.

I will investigate further the problem and report any new findings... in the meantime, does it make sense to you? Am I missing something else?

Cheers!
  • »06.11.11 - 22:39
    stephen_robinson
    I think I always have to plug my speakers into the headphone socket on the front of my FW800 PowerMac.
  • »06.11.11 - 22:56
  • Just looking around
    tygre
    Hi all!

Thanks Stephen: when I plug speakers in the front audio output port, I can get a decent sound volume, not tremendous but enough to enjoy my music on AmigaAMP on MorphOS!

Thanks and take care!

PS. However, I still don't understand why plugin the speakers in the back audio output port does not result in the same sound volume... Any ideas/answers are welcome!
  • »09.11.11 - 21:58
    boot_wb
    Headphone jack impedance is 32Ohm, Line-out jack impedance is 1kOhm.

Refer to this document (section I/O devices, sound system) for further details.

Regards

Rich
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »10.11.11 - 11:43
    Profile Visit Website
    stephen_robinson
    On my Powermac Dual 1.42, the jack is plugged into a proper hi-fi thingy, works fine in MacOSX in both the front and back 'oles.

so to speak.

Only works in the front (headphone?) port for MorphOS, I filled in a bug report thingy ages ago, I'll wait for 3.0 before wittering on about it again.
  • »10.11.11 - 18:27