Automate Defrag during night on we
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi, I'd like to automate the defrag process during the night on week-end. This should be possible for several partitions. Does anyone know how I can setup such?

I suppose I can use Cybercron to start the process at a given time as I do for my backup process which is done every night automatically at 2 am but how can I start Defrag, chose an partition, defragment, and then next one, etc.

Thanks for help.
  • »21.01.11 - 05:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Use WaitX (which comes with MorphOS) instead of Cybercron. Defrag doesn't have any CLI or arexx commands so maybe you can try some other defragmenting tools.

[ Edited by Korni on 2011/1/21 11:16 ]
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »21.01.11 - 10:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    You could test Morgoth's SFSCheck.
    Since it is a command you can start it from Shell and allows you to check partitions and\or defragment them or to perform those operations for a whole device, using a lot of options. There are also two example scripts (for check or defrag) but they didn't work for me: command in a shell did it flawless. So I guess it's me, since I tested on the fly...
    But as Korni suggested using a Wait command in a script and then SFScheck command should work (tested:work).

Edit: looked and briefly tested Cybercron... Nice program, really complete!!

[ Edited by Jambalah on 2011/1/21 16:14 ]
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »21.01.11 - 15:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Well, but how to cron this procedure? May be a fiver for the neighborhood kids? Their little fingers will do better than mine anyway...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »21.01.11 - 19:05
    Profile Visit Website