Look what they've done to my dir opt i command, Ma
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    I asked this question (quite!) some time ago... Is this .really. how the dir command is supposed to work?

Code:
    New Shell process 2
    Ram Disk:> dir opt i
    ENV (dir) T (dir) Clipboards (dir)Ram Disk:>

At least it doesn't crash but it's not interactive and it makes a mess of displaying the current directory if there's a lot of files in it.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »19.11.10 - 20:41
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    See what I had to do? I had to rely on my own resources and brain-power... Well, that may be going a bit too far - all I had to do was read a 19yo AmigaDOS manual that I excavated from under my bed.

Quote:

Warning: It is dangerous to format a disk from the DIR interactive mode, as the format takes place immediately, without any confirmation requesters appearing. Also, starting another interactive DIR from interactive mode results in garbled output.

Doing another interactive DIR from within an initial interactive DIR sounded like my kind of fun - just had to use my trusty old WB3.1 version of dir to see what was meant by 'garbled output'. It's exactly the same as the output from the non-nested MorphOS (& AROS?) interactive DIR.

I also tested this in WinUAE to see what would happen - it's the same.
  • »20.11.10 - 08:16
    Profile Visit Website
    stephen_robinson
    What does opt i do anyhow?

I did do a quick search, but that found nothing, and I'm too lazy to keep digging..
  • »20.11.10 - 10:47
    ausPPC
    According to my old reference book, opt a, d, f and i are only still recognised for compatibility with (much!) older versions of workbench - like 1.x From 2.0 onward the command format is stated more like this:

DIR [<dir|pattern>] [ALL] [DIRS] [FILES] [INTER]

INTER replaces OPT I and it's an interactive directory listing mode that pauses at each directory listing name and waits for user input. Specifically:

Return - shows the next name in the list
    E - enters a directory
    B - goes back one directory level
    DEL or DELETE - deletes a file or empty directory
    T - types the contents of a file
    C - enter additional AmigaDos commands
    Q - quit interactive
    ? - shows a list of the interactive mode commands

The only ones I ever used were E & T - I've just found out about the others. The one that lets you enter additional commands has one caveat - entering another DIR INTER command (or nesting two DIR INTER commands) doesn't work the way you might expect. As mentioned above, if this is done on a system with a working dir command the output is just like the non-nested MorphOS DIR INTER command.
  • »20.11.10 - 11:44
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    Sooo... Doesn't anyone else use the shell these days? I tried to submit a bug report through the Ambient -> About MorphOS -> Support bug reporting feature but I don't know if it was acknowledged.
  • »30.11.10 - 01:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    That's normal. You most likely will not receive any feedback on such a bugreport, instead you have to wait for the next release and see if it's been taken care of. It's quite tedious, yes.
    -- kolla
  • »30.11.10 - 01:17
    MarK
    it's a good time for founding a bounty (or asking relevant people) to write documentation for all system commands and tools. i could translate some os3.1 command documentations, but how about new functions?

bye, MarK.
  • »30.11.10 - 08:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    I checked and the interactive mode implementation appears to be incomplete. Since this isn't exactly the most critical component it remains to be seen if/when this will be fixed.
  • »30.11.10 - 08:35