MorphOS + OS X Dual Boot conclusion
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    Hello,

After toasting 5 hours away, I finally got the whole partitioning thing down on my PowerMac Quicksilver 2002. I just wanted to mention a few notes during my trip and figuring things out.

*When you go to partition using the OS X install CD, OS X 10.5 DVD does NOT let you go under a 1GB partition, so I was forced to use my OS X 10.4 DVD.

*When you partition up a new hard drive, be sure to include another partition for Work. (Following the guide available on this site to dual boot, it just said to split into three partitions, which I forgot to include an extra partition because it made 1 partition for MorphOS, that being System, and I really wanted "Work" partition as well)

*After you setup your partitions using the OS X 10.4 DVD, do NOT have the "Install Mac OS 9 Drivers" checked..... What this did was install a ton of 64KB and 128KB partitions in the very beginning of the hard drive I was working with, and when it came time to install MorphOS, it complained about the drive sectors it started and ended on. (Please correct me if im wrong, I am really tired and thats all I remember lol.)

*One more thing, when I had two hard drives on the same chain on my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 2002 tower, MorphOS would not see any hard drives at all. Both drives were set to Cable Select. OS X sees everything just fine when both hard drives were on the same chain, but MorphOS didn't see either drive when I went to install. (I never tried to setup jumpers and giving it another shot.... I also didnt do it where I would have one hard drive detached, then having MorphOS take over the entire hard disk, then reattach the other hard drive and install OS X on the other hard drive.)

Anyways, I figured id spill what I learned tonight. I am just glad to have a dual booting PowerMac G4. 8-) :-)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »09.11.10 - 07:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    Thanx Doffo I encounetred the 128 & 64kb partition hell and without your trick (disable OS9 support in diskutility) now after a bit of tweaking I'm dual booting OSX and MorphOS in my MDD g4. :-)
    I'm changing my apartment but I haven't resisted to try out MorphOS in an hour of spare time... My gf would like to kill me because I'm loosing precious time but it's a raining sunday and after all Amiga is my preferred hobby :-)
    In next couple of days I should remeber my paypal password and I'll register my copy of MorphOS because I'm having fun again :-)
    -------------------
  • »21.11.10 - 17:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

maurensen wrote:
    ....... In next couple of days I should remeber my paypal password and I'll register my copy of MorphOS because I'm having fun again :-)

Probably the most powerful endorsement of MorphOS2.x, it makes computing fun again!

Congratulations on your new apartment and for finding out that MorphOS2.6 is such a great and enjoyable OS to use and also run Amiga software and games on.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.11.10 - 18:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    I am glad I could be of some help! :) And also glad you will take that step of registering. I actually have a Mac Mini 1.25ghz, and due to its compact design and "all in one" computer, I am quite happy with it. Maybe if licensing drops in price down the road, I will buy one for my PowerMAC G4 Quicksilver 2002 :) That bad boy I got maxed out.

enjoy! 8-)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »22.11.10 - 05:39
    Profile Visit Website