MorphOS as a server
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Not to take it too seriously, this is just me jumping at this, on "PowerDeveloper.org":

Quote:

Mark "MacMiga" Benson wrote:

I would love to support MorphOS but as I am not interested in a GUI really

This had me thinking... Obviously, Mark actually wants a server. And a small one, as he was asking about operating systems for his MPC5200B based Efika. Couldn't MorphOS be useful, really?

The first "hurdle" would be, as he suggests, putting away with the GUI. And I remember doing that perfectly by booting my old Amiga 3000, and just taking away two little things from the startup sequence:

1.- loadwb: It would load the Workbench "desktop", which is not required.
    2.- endcli: It would close the console, which is required,

Mind you, that was on an Amiga without a graphics card, so there were no screen driver complications, and it worked right away: Prom power on to console, in a breeze.

In that condition, I had something resembling very much a server, console only operating system. Could this be done in MorphOS?

Next, we should talk about which services could a MorphOS server provide. Some of those already exist, and some more would, after a seemingly easy Linux port, for example. If they don't exist not, it's because of lack of interest, as MorphOS, precisely, is not considered a server operating system.
  • »17.11.10 - 09:23
  • ASiegel
    I think the question is not so much whether somebody could theoretically use MorphOS to run a server but whether somebody would pay the MorphOS registration fee to do so while there are alternatives out there that are entirely free. A server with a 30 minute reboot cycle (MorphOS in demo mode) does not sound very practical :)
  • »17.11.10 - 09:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Oh. No technical talk about how it could be done, but conventional talk about how it couldn't?
  • »17.11.10 - 09:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Without mentionning the available services morphos could offer as a server, i'm not sure it would be a smart choice in terms of security or stability (at least on an efika).
  • »17.11.10 - 09:55