a question about owb and youtube?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    jvdbossc
    Is there a latest trick or manual to be able to wach movies on youtube and others? I installed morphos 2.6 over 2.5 yesterday.
  • »19.10.10 - 09:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    There should be no tricks. Did it work in 2.5 and it doesn't for 2.6, or what's the problem?

Anyway, HTML5 playback should work as soon as you join YouTube HTML5 beta. But, for convenience, install the Flash plugin and add youtube.js (which is bundled with OWB) to Windows->Scripts... then you should get the HTML5 player as default for all videos. Click play, and there you go.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »19.10.10 - 09:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    jvdbossc
    I was thinking youtube and others were not possible, using youtube on my laptop instead. (I am only using morphos recently)

But then found some old postings that it works to some extend. I hope it works with other video sites as well.

I will try the plugin this evening

thanks a lot!
  • »19.10.10 - 10:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Don't bother with the flash plugin for youtube. From the OWB.readme:

Youtube special notes
    ---------------------

There are a few things to know about Youtube, since it tends to change
    (or rather break) quite often.

Youtube introduced a new way to play media without using Flash: HTML5 video.
    This service isn't enabled by default nor autodetected, so it has to be
    enabled by going to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and clicking the subscription
    link (no account needed, only a cookie will be set).

There are a few more important elements to consider:
    - Youtube recently added a silly user-agent check, which means the HTML5 player
    will only be enabled if the user-agent matches. So, for OWB, the solution is to
    spoof as "Safari" in OWB preferences -> Network.
    Update (2010-09-01): it seems they reverted this change, so the Safari user-agent
    isn't needed anymore (so far).

- Youtube broke the fullscreen mode that worked just nicely before, so a script is needed
    to workaround this. This is done by going to Windows->Scripts and adding the
    "Scripts/youtube_fullcreen_fix.js" userscript. This fullscreen mode is particularly
    important, since OWB uses overlay output in this mode, which makes it about 3 times
    faster, synchronized on VBL, and smoother as well, compared to windowed mode.

- Not all Youtube links are available as HTML5 yet. Fortunately, there's a way
    to "convert" the remaining Flash-only links to HTML5 by adding the "Script/Youtube.js"
    script in Windows->Scripts. When this script is enabled, the Flash element on Youtube
    is removed, the video direct URLs are retrieved, and a HTML5 <video> tag is added,
    playing the video file, without Flash. Direct links to the video are also displayed
    below the video. Please note that if the Flash plugin is not installed, a "Get Flash"
    message will be shown over the video, and will also prevent the video from being started
    automatically, which means one of the links below the video will have to be clicked to
    play the video. Also note that format "18" (mp4) is the most efficient one, since FLV
    ones can have some speed and synchronisation issue when seeking.

- Since Youtube can break stuff anytime, be sure to check for updated userscripts in
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/OWB/scripts/ if something broke.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »19.10.10 - 12:10
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    jvdbossc
    Thanks I followed both suggestions and youtube works. It is to early to test other sites lol.

Good answers, I did not know, I spend about an hour looking at videos and they all work
  • »19.10.10 - 19:49
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    you may also spoof as ipad in owb
  • »20.10.10 - 01:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:

you may also spoof as ipad

Adn so Apple will be happy to brag about how much its "magic" device sells :-D
  • »20.10.10 - 08:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    yeahh !! The script made the differnece ! Wow, its so smooth. COOOL ! Big respect Fab, you are the best coder !!! :bloons:
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »20.10.10 - 20:24
    Profile Visit Website