Tips for optimizing network (MorphOS 2.5 - Mac Mini) ?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi everyone, wondering if someone can give me some tips.

I have Mac Mini, 1.5GHz, MorphOS 2.5 (registered).

It is connected to a 100Mbit switch, which is in turn connected to my D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit router. Connected to my router is my Gigabit connected Windows 7 Core2Duo PC 3.0GHz. That PC has a share which has many movies on it.

I use SMBFS 1.74 (31/08/2009) on MorphOS to connect to the Windows share and copy a 1.3 GB .mkv movie file.

I am not getting very good throughput - it really jumps around, like sometimes less than 1MB/sec, sometimes 3-4MB/sec.

With a 100MBit LAN connection I should be getting well over 5MByte/sec, with a consistant throughput. When I copy files around between other PC's and Macs on my LAN I can get very fast speeds, especially if connected via Gigabit, sometimes like 40MB/sec. So I think my network is OK.

Does anyone have any tips for tweaking the Network settings in MorphOS? I pretty much have a stock MorphOS 2.5 install using DHCP. I have, however, hard-coded my DNS settings and set my ISP's DNS as primary, my router DNS as secondary. I have no trouble accessing the internet and at good speeds.

Is SMBFS just crap? It stalls at various times trying to copy this 1.3GB .mkv file over.

PS - I tried AmiTradeCenter V1.4 (from amigazeux website) but it would not download my 1.3GB file. I clicked on it to download and also tried "receive" but it won't download it. It will download smaller files, though, just not that large file (perhaps it doesn't like large files?). I also tried ncftp but it would not connect to my FTP site for some reason.
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »11.08.10 - 04:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    @ Hammer

Hi, I experience similar problems here with my MacMini's but not using the same software as you, I use Envoy3 because for now I have only Pegasos2's and MacMini's in a LAN though the idea would be to add other OS's.

Only on the MacMini's I get transfert drops, sometimes it's good, about 5 MB/sec and then suddenly it drops to a few hundred kb/sec, sometimes after a reset it's not higher then the few hundred kb/sec, but sometimes it's up to 5 MB/sec, etc. Tried really a lot of things, like changing the Swtich, using a Gigabit Switch, a 100 Mbit Switch but just nothing helped, it seems not to work correctly, that's why I suppose it's a specific sungem_eth.device probelm on MacMini's.

Here some links, where other's and me posted about this problem:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7097&forum=9

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7276&forum=16#75538

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6517&forum=3#71736
  • »11.08.10 - 05:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    It is definitely a sungem eth driver problem which is especially notable with smbfs and envoy services. There is no real workaround as of now. It seems that x out of y reboots, it works just fine (if you are lucky) while it tends to be slow/stuck otherwise.
    I would like to get that fixed for 2.6 but can't promise anything as of now ....
  • »12.08.10 - 01:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    @ pega-1

thanks very much for your reply! Yes I can confirm that from x out of y reboots it could work fine! Hopefully this can be fixed for next update, because I'm not able to use my MacMini's for working with them in our LAN and well I also hope that 2.6's release isn't to far away!
  • »12.08.10 - 05:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:

I am not getting very good throughput - it really jumps around, like sometimes less than 1MB/sec, sometimes 3-4MB/sec.

With my Mac mini I get pretty good transfer speeds with smbfs (same versions). There is little jumping, but it always stays above 6MB/s and measured average speed is about 8MB/s (I did several copies with time command and big files).

Have you tried to copy to ram: instead of hd? To cut out possibility of hd slowing things down (sfs removing stuff from its .recycled etc).

I have all network settings static, but otherwise haven't touched the default settings.

Quote:

Is SMBFS just crap? It stalls at various times trying to copy this 1.3GB .mkv file over.

How much stack you have for it? I used to have slowdowns and complete stalls with it some years ago on MorphOS, until I found out that I didn't have enough stack for it... adding stack to 65536 (I guess something like 32768 would do too) before running smbfs helped with the speed and it hasn't stalled even once after that. But I don't know if it is the same situation with the latest versions too... worth to try anyway I guess.

Quote:

I also tried ncftp but it would not connect to my FTP site for some reason.

If something doesn't work with ncftp, then it doesn't work at all ;) Maybe wrong port settings?
  • »12.08.10 - 07:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:

With my Mac mini I get pretty good transfer speeds with smbfs (same versions). There is little jumping, but it always stays above 6MB/s and measured average speed is about 8MB/s (I did several copies with time command and big files).

Have you tried to copy to ram: instead of hd? To cut out possibility of hd slowing things down (sfs removing stuff from its .recycled etc).

I have all network settings static, but otherwise haven't touched the default settings.

Quote:

How much stack you have for it? I used to have slowdowns and complete stalls with it some years ago on MorphOS, until I found out that I didn't have enough stack for it... adding stack to 65536 (I guess something like 32768 would do too) before running smbfs helped with the speed and it hasn't stalled even once after that. But I don't know if it is the same situation with the latest versions too... worth to try anyway I guess.

Quote:

I also tried ncftp but it would not connect to my FTP site for some reason.

If something doesn't work with ncftp, then it doesn't work at all ;) Maybe wrong port settings?

Well I've had the setup for several years (the FTP) and I can ftp to it from my work, from other Amigas, etc. So I think it is setup ok :)

Not sure how much stack SMBFS has, whatever the default is, but I can try to increase it.

Copying to RAM: instead of hard disk made no difference.

I will see how it works when the driver is updated next, or maybe I will reboot X times and hope for Y result :)
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »12.08.10 - 08:25
    Profile Visit Website