How to configure properly owb fonts. Currently too small
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Hello, i have been using owb, but since it displays the fonts pretty small im used to do the zoom option, but that likes to zoom also the images such as logos and they look awful and pixelated. I want to know of a way to configure properly the fonts for display on my screen. I'm using currently 1280x1024 on my mini and like it, but the only problem i encounter is on the browser. Main text on pages is too small, meanwhile the rest of letters are ok. FOr example, here on the forums i have to zoom out because the text on the post is very small displayed on owb.
    I tried to raise the size, but with no luck. No changes are made when i increase font size in the settings menu. Why are in amiga browsers fonts being managed this way???. On the 68k classic i also remember that it was one of the most frustrating and annoying feature of the amiga experience.
    Could someone point me out on a solution???
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »17.01.10 - 01:29
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    First, make sure you used the font install script, so that Webcore fonts are used. They look much better than the default ones coming with MorphOS for Web use.

Then, if you want to adjust minimal font size, for instance in this very page, you would go to settings->fonts and set "Font Minimal Size" (3rd row) and increase size a bit.
  • »17.01.10 - 02:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Wow, awesome, I was blind until now. 1 UP for OWB.

BTW, I noticed "Download Fonts" icon but never used it thinking "well it works now, I don't want to mess it up, I will try this some time later".

The installation of fonts is smooth, transparent and very polished. Now, an obvious question: why it isn't like this by default? Distribution rights for fonts or some other legal thing?

If it cannot be like this by default, why not, when user starts OWB for the first time, pop a message saying "You can improve look and feel by installing additional fonts. (You can also do this yourself by running the Download Fonts program in the OWB drawer.) Click here to do it now. [OK] [Remind me later] [Never remind again]".
  • »17.01.10 - 17:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Thanks for the installing font tip. I used the installer that is in the owb folder, i assume it was that one you was referring. It gave me nicer fonts, plus the tip on the font i needed to change i now have a good looking fonts size in my owb.
    Thanks!!!.

P.D. Was that the installer or is another one floating around?
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »17.01.10 - 18:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Yep, that's the one I used.
  • »17.01.10 - 19:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > why it isn't like this by default? Distribution rights for fonts or some other legal thing?

"...not used to add value to commercial products."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web#Program_termination_and_software_licence_agreement_issues
  • »17.01.10 - 19:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Interesting. Thank you. One learns something every day!

What's more interesting (and that's why this puzzled me and that's where I came from with my suggestion) is that all those fonts are already included with OS X by default and the page also says why...
  • »17.01.10 - 20:09
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    I just noticed that the script that comes with the MorphOS 2.4 iso seems to be broken but, the 1.6.1 OWB version of the script works.

My first post with OWB on my Mac Mini BTW!

IKE
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB