"Can't create MUI custom classes message" (YAM & SimpleMail)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Tried installing YAM and SimpleMail for the first time.

After lots of manual work I am at the point where both programs report this message from the subject.

I tried every trick I could come up with. Also tried doing everything from scratch 2 times. Tried both versions requiered and the latest versions.

How do I debug what's wrong? Any hints?

One thing I noticed is that after following the instructions in Readme I still needed to manually copy these files. After copying into System:MorphOS/Classes/MUI the apps are recognizing them and then ask for more files. Once I am done i get this error message. If I only execute copy commands from the Readme file the apps are not finding these files, I manually did find on the system drive and "figured out" to manually copy them on the mentioned destination. I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong, this should not be this hard...
  • »10.01.10 - 07:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Hi, mihailod

It's recomended to copy MUI's mcc to
    System:Classes/MUI and not to
    System:MorphOS/Classes/MUI

Try to use Snoopium or a similar tool to trace what's missing,
    it can help quite a lot.
    I remember having the same problem with a couple of MUI tools.
    It could be about mcc version
    but i'm not sure.

Cheers
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »10.01.10 - 08:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Maybe it should read more clearly everywhere, but NEVER modify anything from SYS:MorphOS/ aka MOSSYS: path. Except if you want to rename rexxsyslib.library :) Or if you are absolutely sure what you are doing.

Every dir found in MOSSYS: can be cloned to SYS: and you can add own stuff there. So, correct place for custom MUI classes is SYS:Classes/MUI/. Old installers made for Amiga may fail copying them there and it's usually needed to copy manually. Actually many programs are easier to install manually by copying needed libs to SYS:Libs, mui libs to sys:classes/mui etc. It's pretty obvious when you look directory structure on unpacked archives.

Whole MOSSYS: is replaced when you do automatic system update with every new MorphOS version. So, if you've made any modifications there, they will be lost.

You can use SYS:Tools/Snoopium program to find out if any files are missing when you start certain program. Run Snoopium, run program causing problems, look the log in Snoopium window and check if there's some file which can't be opened on any path it's trying. There will be fails logged, but it's ok until it can get one open for the asked file.
  • »10.01.10 - 09:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Frustrating. I carefully deleted all the files I added manually to MOSSYS and then copied them to the directory suggeseted (SYS:Classes/MUI). Still get the same message. Will play with Snoopium later to see if I can figure out what's wrong... Thanks for the hints.

I also have to add that Yam installer never worked for me, it quits after 80% claiming that copylib cannot create a drawer... After that I tried to start it and to manually fix it.

Tried Snoopium. Launching YAM produces >200 events all of them FAIL... Not a single success. This is the default configuration of Snoopium. Have to go now, will try to dig more later in the evening...

[ Edited by mihailod on 2010/1/10 13:26 ]
  • »10.01.10 - 21:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I can not remember what was the default Snoopium configuration but check from "Functions" settings windos if "Only show fails" is unticked. From available events only "NewObject" and "OpenLibrary" are needed but you can also narrow down live view using filter (see gadget on the bottom of main window).
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »10.01.10 - 22:52
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi,

I once started to add the applications that are used by some MUI classes into their comment string to faster check which programs can break when upgrading those classes.

Not sure, whether those comments are still correct, but according to them, the following MUI classes are used by SimpleMail (besides the standard ones in MOSSYS:Classes/MUI):

BetterString
    NList
    NListTree
    Popplaceholder
    TextEditor
    TheBar
    TheBarVirt
    TheButton

I also installed the font "helvetica" to FONTS: - which gives a nicer look IMHO.

Bye HAK
  • »10.01.10 - 23:27
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    testkkssss
    lll
    [ Edited by osco on 2010/1/10 20:59 ]

[ Edited by osco on 2010/1/10 21:01 ]

[ Edited by osco on 2010/1/10 21:03 ]
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »11.01.10 - 01:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    HAK you are the man! After installing BetterButton and PopPlaceHolder I can now launch both SimpleMail and YAM! YAM still complains about AMISSL library so I will try to fix that too; it's a warning though and the program starts.

PROGRESS :-)
  • »11.01.10 - 05:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    You like flying Superman 8-)
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »11.01.10 - 14:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    So my situation is funky. I use MobileMe as my primary email. YAM worked flawlessly with it but I never got SimpleMail to send any emails. It never complains, it receives emails but never sends them (it claims they are sent though). Weird. Since YAM looks a bit more polished I will stick to it for now.

Both programs downloaded ~4000 emails from email server without much sweat. Both had a nice progress notifier implemented. Got burned by YAM who has "delete from server" by default so I "lost" ~40 emails before I realised what's going on (at least it told me "deleting... downloading... deleting").

SimpleMail has an edge-case bug where if the volume it downloads emails is full it will report that but, instead of aborting, it will keep "downloading" but the emails will be empty. Once you move to the bigger volume it will redownload the missing emails but as duplicates so you end up with one real email and another "ghost" email with no body... I guess I should report that to the SimpleMail creator...
  • »11.01.10 - 19:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Make sure that you installed AmiSSL v1, v2 and v3.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »11.01.10 - 20:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Speaking of AmiSSL I have 2 questions:

1. are you saying I need to install all three versions?

2. I actually tried installing the latest version I found on the web last night but it prompted me with a dialog to choose 68020 68040 or 68060 architecture (if I remember correctly). Which one I should choose for MorphOS on Mac Mini G4? I searched on forums for this briefly late last night and could not find the answer.

The last news on the official AmiSSL site are from 2006 so it looked neglected and I also did not have any issues with YAM without this so I said "always ignore" and my mail is working.

Are you implying I am going to have some issues on the long run if I don't install this?
  • »11.01.10 - 21:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    1. Right, install them all :). AFAIR it's described on AmiSSL homepage.
    2. Any should work, in most cases 68060 should be the best choice though. 68k CPUs were used in C= Amigas. MorphOS includes 68k emulation, so you can use many apps from AmigaOS.

Well, some apps just require AmiSSL (like SimpleMail or old internet browsers for secure connections etc.), but i wouldn't call it an issue :). AmiSSL installs and works fine, so it shouldn't be a problem really.

[ Edited by Korni on 2010/1/11 22:40 ]
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »11.01.10 - 21:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Also, programs with SSL capabilities do exist, that do not require these libraries. At least Fab's Origyn Web Browser, or am I wrong?
    I also had to install all three versions of AmiSSL, to use SabreMSN (strange, I might be remembering incorrectly). In the end, it's not as messy as it might seem.
  • »12.01.10 - 09:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    amissl.library, amissl_v2.library and amissl_v3.library (or whatever the names are) are like openssl.so.1, openssl.so.2 and openssl.so.3 (or whatever the names are too): same base name but completly different and incompatible libs.

So you have to install the "version" used by the application you want.
    In any doubt, install them all.

<coder request>
    And, by the way, if anybody is able to generate amissl v3 "fd" files... I would very much appreciate it. fd2inline and other tools I tried all crash and I had no motivation and time to convert hundreds of pragma lines manually.
    </coder request>

[ Edited by Henes on 2010/1/12 16:55 ]
  • »12.01.10 - 15:53
    Profile Visit Website