OWB settings/preferences question
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I have looked around a little, but have not yet found any guide, or documentation for OWB use and settings/preferences.

I am trying to figure out how to adjust the window size that is opened the first time I use OWB from a cold boot of my MorphOS MacMini. I am using a 20" widescreen Dell LCD with a 1680x1050 Ambient screen so I have lots of space on the screen to display OWB and do not want it full screen. What I would like is for it to remember my window size setting so I don't have to reset it each day when I cold boot MorphOS. I know there is a simple answer to this question probably from Ambient or MUI instead of the application itself, and that is part of the reason I have delayed asking for help with it, as I am a bit embarrassed that I have not been able to find the answer myself yet.

Can anyone tell me what steps I need to take to set the window size in some env setting or preference so OWB will open in the size and location that I want each time I start it after a cold boot. It is great that it returns to the size I want if I close it and then open it again without turning off my MorphOS computer, but I would like it to open the way I want from the very first opening of it.

Also, can OWB remember logins and passwords, or can I set OWB, or MorphZone.org up to remember my login and password everytime I visit the site instead of having to type it in each time. Firefox does it for me on other computers, or Windows does on my PC.

Lastly, I downloaded the Battle for Wesnoth game from here a couple of days ago and the download stalled a few times and I had to resume it. Well, about the 2nd or 3rd time I resumed the download it continued to download up to about 160% of the file size, so I must assume that it did not actually resume the download and it was re-downloading the file, but OWB was confused. Has anyone else had this problem with the file download resume feature?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.12.09 - 23:56
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

I am trying to figure out how to adjust the window size that is opened the first time I use OWB from a cold boot of my MorphOS MacMini. I am using a 20" widescreen Dell LCD with a 1680x1050 Ambient screen so I have lots of space on the screen to display OWB and do not want it full screen. What I would like is for it to remember my window size setting so I don't have to reset it each day when I cold boot MorphOS. I know there is a simple answer to this question probably from Ambient or MUI instead of the application itself, and that is part of the reason I have delayed asking for help with it, as I am a bit embarrassed that I have not been able to find the answer myself yet.

You would just snapshot the OWB window like any other MUI application (with the gadget or popmenu in window titlebar, for instance). That being said, I think there might be an issue with very large MUI windows, since someone told me he couldn't snapshot a window above a given size, but this would be MUI related (it also happened with another MUI application for him). But i can't even verify that, because my screen doesn't go that high anyway. :)

Quote:

Also, can OWB remember logins and passwords, or can I set OWB, or MorphZone.org up to remember my login and password everytime I visit the site instead of having to type it in each time. Firefox does it for me on other computers, or Windows does on my PC.

It can. There are two different things related to that:
    - saving cookies (settings->privacy->save cookies) which only works if the site sets a cookie, of course.
    - remembering form logins/passwords (settings->privacy->remember form credentials). When it's enabled, you'll be asked if you want to save a login/password pair when validating a form or authentication window. You can remove a particular entry anytime by going to windows->passwords.

Quote:

Lastly, I downloaded the Battle for Wesnoth game from here a couple of days ago and the download stalled a few times and I had to resume it. Well, about the 2nd or 3rd time I resumed the download it continued to download up to about 160% of the file size, so I must assume that it did not actually resume the download and it was re-downloading the file, but OWB was confused. Has anyone else had this problem with the file download resume feature?

Not all servers support resume, but the problem is not all servers advertise this ability (or non-ability) properly. So you might end up concatening instead of resuming if the server acts badly.

[ Edited by Fab on 2009/12/17 0:22 ]
  • »17.12.09 - 00:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    Fab : as I have tell you some days ago, there are resuming problems with OWB. That's right all servers don't support resume, but I've never have such problem with IBrowse or AWeb.

I use Rapidshare (registred, support for resume) but OWB fails often to resume files. So I use IBrowse for resuming.
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »17.12.09 - 06:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    You can also configure MUI to remember application window sizes automatically. In my opinion it should be the default ;-)

[ Edited by itix on 2009/12/17 9:40 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »17.12.09 - 07:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I've never have such problem with IBrowse or AWeb.

AWeb supports resume?
  • »17.12.09 - 12:24
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @daff

Then find a (public) link that exposes the issue. I've never encountered this so far, except for misbehaving servers, and it happens with other browsers too, in that case.
  • »17.12.09 - 13:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    That being said, I think there might be an issue with very large MUI windows, since someone told me he couldn't snapshot a window above a given size, but this would be MUI related (it also happened with another MUI application for him). But i can't even verify that, because my screen doesn't go that high anyway. :)

OWB and IBrowse snapshot fine with 1600x1180 windows here. But I've had problems snapshotting Wetter and Statline windows. They seem to have max width on 1280 while I would like them 1600 pixels wide... I haven't had time to think the issue more, but if anyone knows something.. please tell :)
  • »17.12.09 - 15:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    You can also configure MUI to remember application window sizes automatically. In my opinion it should be the default ;-)

Hell no! :P I love the Amiga's way that you can decide yourself when to snapshot and then be free to mess around without being worried if you misplace anything. And any extra writes to HD are baaad :)
  • »17.12.09 - 15:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi,

Guess, that person with the snapshot problems was me.

I just went around this problem by copying the appropriate ENV:MUI/xxx.prefs values to ENVARC:MUI/ after snapshotting and quitting the application (2nd one was WookieChat BTW where I checked this - haven't checked with other applications).

I had no problem with these applications when trying to snapshot the windows when they are smaller (haven't checked the exact border yet, but I assume it's somewere above 1280x1024 (standard screensize here is 1600x1200)).

When was the last time you did a snapshot with OWB jPV? If it's already some time ago, could yo do me a favour and try to reduce the size of your OWB a little bit (but still wider than those mentioned 1280 pixel) and snapshot and reset afterwards to check whether MUI did write those values also back to ENVARC?

Bye HAK
  • »17.12.09 - 23:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for all the help Fab, I have more to learn about MorphOS and MUI than I thought. I made the mistake of becoming an Amiga collector when I did not have the time to be a regular user of Amiga computers because of work and family. Now I have the time, but have forgotten what little I once knew and have to learn it all over again. Not that the relearning is a bad thing, it just slows me down from time to time.

I never did know much of anything about MUI, so I am already at a disadvantage in learning to use MorphOS.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/12/17 23:43 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.12.09 - 07:42
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

HAK wrote:

When was the last time you did a snapshot with OWB jPV? If it's already some time ago, could yo do me a favour and try to reduce the size of your OWB a little bit (but still wider than those mentioned 1280 pixel) and snapshot and reset afterwards to check whether MUI did write those values also back to ENVARC?

Not that long ago, but I made couple of tests now anyway and I had no problems. I snapshotted OWB to random 1571x1169 and 797x844 resolutions and both were written to envarc and worked after reboot too. And back to 1600x1180 is fine too.

But Statline refuses to snapshot wider than 1280 still... it wrote config file to env and envarc, but it still doesn't work. Maybe there's some limit in program itself, not in MUI?
  • »19.12.09 - 11:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Statline in 1680 width here, no problems with snapshooting at all.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »19.12.09 - 11:30
    Profile Visit Website