The installer fails when creating folders
  • Just looking around
    Caius
    Whenever I try installing some software using its installer script, it fails with a vague error message about 'copyfiles'. When I check the install log in T: I discover that it stops whenever it needs to create a new folder. For now I've created the needed folders manually (by using a pretend install to find out what's needed), after which the install script runs successfully, but I'm hoping someone has a more permanent solution.

This happens on ALL software that needs to create folders. This is MorphOS 2.4, if that matters.

Thanks.
    Theology is just a debate over who to frame for creating reality.
  • »23.11.09 - 07:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    This is the first good thing the installer does: forcing you to install manually. Which is what you always should do, IMHO. Never trust an install script! Usually (or rather always) they just mess up your system. :-)

Since I never would use Installer myself I can't reproduce or confirm your issue.

[ Edited by tokai on 2009/11/23 10:56 ]
  • »23.11.09 - 10:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Tokai, while I completely agree with you, have in mind that these statements will scare off all newcomers to MorphOS...

Yes, install scripts are evil. Well, relatively: Recent applications usually come with clever install scripts, that do a veryt good job. But it's true that you should avoid old install scripts, especially those that were born before MorphOS existed.

One of the original ideas of MorphOS was that installation procedures do NOT exist: You simply put the whole application in a drawer, wherever you prefer. To delete the application, you delete the drawer. Of course, this is more a desire than a fact, and sometimes things are not that simple.

All in all, the best way is getting to know your computer first, and then, add functions to it. But that's not how the world works now (adding to the joy of support companies).
  • »23.11.09 - 15:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Would be nice if you can point out at least the archive causing a problem and file a proper bug report using IRC, mail or MorphOS bug report form.

I discovered this "report" two weeks later, so if you expected a fast bugfix, this is for sure the wrong way.

For testing please use the installer provided here: (not 24/7 available, so retry later if the link fails)

ftp://ambient:ambient@geitathome.dyndns.org/betas/

Its basically the same installer delivered with MorphOS 2.4, I just fixed some path handling for MUI: assigns..

The installer is able to create drawers for sure. I have a test script for selftesting all commands and major issues would be autodetected by the installer itself.

Please keep in mind that the installer is not just a simple program. Its a script parsing programming language like basic and rexx.

Unfortunatly the original command implementation isn?t solid and there are tons of undocumented sideeffects and bugs that some scripts use for operation. The reimplementation is strict and known side effects are emulated. There is even an option in preferences to disable the work arounds to make proper script creation more easy.

Geit

[ Edited by geit on 2009/12/5 13:51 ]
  • »05.12.09 - 12:44