mkv movie files on morphos
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    how do you play mkv files on morphos? I am aware of mkvtoolsnix but I don't know how to get it going. vlc nor mplayer are able to play it though mplayer attempts with lag. this is on efika. Please tell me how to set it up for playing these files. haven't found a gui for mkvtools.

thanks. :-)
  • »28.12.08 - 17:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    mkv is just another container for video/audio, problem might be your cpu so even if the video you are trying to play was in divx/wmv format it would lag as well on your system, try different options with mplayer, turn on frameskipping.
    try option -vf scale=352:576 for those higher resolution videos.
  • »28.12.08 - 18:05
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Mplayer doesn't just attempt, it plays it. Playback being too slow is just related to efika speed. You seem to expect too much from your efika.

Paste here what mplayer says about resolution, bitrate and codec (use properties from menu to get it or read shell output, for instance).
    If it's anything above 640x480 resolution or if it uses h264 codec, then an efika just can't play it at full speed.
  • »28.12.08 - 19:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    yes, i do most of us newbies are now finding out that you can't expect much from efika! what i said was that i thought the mkv format was a codec that i was missing or something and that mplayer attempted to play it. I came across a format that i was unfamiliar with and did a search on info.
    details:
    resolution = 1280x720
    bitrate a = 640kbps
    v = 0
    codec a = a52
    v = ffh264
    fps = 23.98
    picture- exquisite!

yep! not playing this file!
  • »28.12.08 - 20:13
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Heh, even a pegasos2 G4 can't cope with this. Neither can a mac mini G4 with OSX. A mac mini with MorphOS can, though. :)
  • »28.12.08 - 20:49
    Profile Visit Website