More OSes on Peg
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Hello guys!

I am back with serious updates on my Pegasos2 a sI am now a happy user of MorphOS 2.0 and Debian LinuxPPC. My next and final step is to install MacOS on my Peg2 to be able to have a triple boot like many of you in here.

First of all I wanted to ask if there is a kind of way to create or set up a loader that would ask me with which OS I would like to boot. Perhaps a script could be made so that I do not have to type the boot command for Linux in the Open FirmWare every time that I want to boot Debian. Any features on this?

Secondly I wanted to ask about MacOS I have downloaded PegXMac that oots fine on my Peg2 moreover I have many CDs with MacOS from 9.x to 10.x versions plus tiger and leopard. But I am unable to find a guide of how to install MacOS on Peg. I searched in the net and in this forum before I ask.

Which version of MacOS is better to be used with PegXMac?

I suppose that I should create an extra partition for MacOS in order to work. Is this right?

I noticed that PegXMac actually uses MacOnLinux so I suppose that I should always log on to linux in order to see MacOS right?

Please give me some basic info in order to start or guide me in some documentation, I am ready to read and do!!!!!

Thanks
  • »03.08.08 - 14:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mi-Go
    To create a bootmenu with no effort try BootCreator
    http://www.tbs-software.com/morgoth/files/bootcreator-1.2.lha

or, if you're brave enough (I haven't been...), you could have a look at GRUB port
    http://tbs-software.com/morgoth/files/grub-3.tar.gz

I have a MOS/Gentoo menu here with BootCreator, it should be able to handle MacOS as well.

M.
  • »03.08.08 - 15:11
    Cego
    at first you should use molk for MacOS X. and i would suggest you to install Panther, cause it is the fastest MacOS on the Peg. but honestly OS X is still unusable due to the lack of hardware acceleration.

and btw, i can boot 4 systems on my peg including windows98 ;)
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »03.08.08 - 15:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @CountRaven,

Forget pegxmac or maconlinux and use molk instead. It is more simple to install, you copy it on your ffs partition, you take an editor and set every step.

Brumiga
  • »03.08.08 - 16:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

i can boot 4 systems on my peg including windows98 ;)

how d'you do that? i mean boot into win98?

countraven: download the big pegasos book, there are guides about install for almost every linux distros and osx too (i think for both pegxxmac and molk).
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »03.08.08 - 23:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    i'm using wonk for that. its like molk, but instead of mol, you have qemu.

but its just for fun and not meant to be used for serious stuff. too slow and it suffers from thesame problems as mol.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »04.08.08 - 00:20
    analogkid
    @Cego: if you are mentioning win98, you should also mention CBM Basic and Atari TOS as OSes running on Peg ;-)
  • »04.08.08 - 07:38
    Cego
    Why should i? those systems are not running on MY peg. so my boot config is still MOS, OSX, Linux and Win98.
  • »04.08.08 - 19:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    cego

You are saying things that are NOT accurate that may dissuade ppl from running OSX on their pe2. I run molk with osx Tiger and love it. It is TOTALLY USABLE - you can ever burn cds/dvd, usb support, networking, etc etc As long as you arent playing games or need 3d its fine..
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »05.08.08 - 01:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

you can ever burn cds/dvd, usb support, networking

Saying that you can burn CD/DVDs is a slight exaggeration .. granted you can make your drive work thanks to PatchBurn, however don't expect anything above 1x burnspeed (atleast I never managed to), remember to enable burnproof or expect lots of coasters...

- CISC
  • »05.08.08 - 08:27
    Cego
    come on man, you cant even watch DVDs. and did you ever try running your MacOS in higher resolutions like 1680x1050? forget it! everythings getting noticably slower. even youtube videos and itunes are beginning to stutter and i am using a soundblaster live! 5.1
    and there's also one big negative problem with molk, all ports are blocked, so you cant even send files via ICQ or DCC in IRC.
    man, i cant even open a multiplayer game in starcraft, neither in network nor on the internet (battlenet).
  • »05.08.08 - 08:32
    CountRaven
    tried Boot Creator it works fine. I am on my way to install OpenSUSE 11. Next goes MacOS on Molk. Keep you posted. Thanks!!!!
  • »11.08.08 - 15:24
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    good luck! molk isnt that hard to install.
  • »11.08.08 - 21:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

and there's also one big negative problem with molk, all ports are blocked, so you cant even send files via ICQ or DCC in IRC.
    man, i cant even open a multiplayer game in starcraft, neither in network nor on the internet (battlenet).

This is easily overcome by simply adding forwarding-rules in molk settings (I think I've posted about that here before .. Ah, yes...), it was one of the first things I did to get BitTorrent running full speed... ;)

- CISC

[ Edited by CISC on 2008/8/12 10:28 ]
  • »12.08.08 - 10:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Charvel
    Is it possible to try MacOSX on Pegasos 1?
    I would really want to try MacOS but I will NOT buy a Mac because of it. Unless MorphOS will run on it..... =)
  • »12.08.08 - 13:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Frostwork
    ancient mol 0.9.68 works on (ancient) peg1
    but i wouldn't recommend to use osx on it
  • »12.08.08 - 15:27
  • Just looking around
    fryguy
    Yeah i would like to try it on my Peg1 too. Is pegxlin or what it was called still available for download somewhere?

[ Edited by fryguy on 2008/8/12 16:30 ]
  • »12.08.08 - 16:29
    Cego
    @fryguy

You need pegxmac to use MacOS on the peg1. keep in mind that you have to create a own partition just for the pegxmac files. MacOS itself will need another partition.
    so you need at least two partitions. just have a look into the readmes. there are also a lot threads about pegxmac and macos on the peg in general.

http://www.pegasosforum.de/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=73
  • »12.08.08 - 22:41
  • Just looking around
    fryguy
    Ok thanks for the info. Will probably try it on a clean disk.
  • »13.08.08 - 14:41
    CountRaven
    Got a nice triple boot now -see signature-.
    On my way to get MacOS running on Peg. Hope it will be ok :)
  • »01.09.08 - 13:56
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    On my way to install MacOS?

Downloaded Molk and copied it to my boot partition following the instructions?.

But I suppose there are some more things I got to do right?

Should I create a nerw partition for the MacOS?

I suppose that MacOS will need to e installed ?of course-, so how should I guide Molk to search the DVD on my Peg and start the installation?

It is MacOS X tiger that works with Molk right?

If all these sounds a little boring for you to be answered I wonder if there is any guide around of how to make MacOS work using Molk? I am ready to read and practice.

Spread some light to the Molk / MacOS case.

Thanks.

Chris

Ps. MorphOS 2.1 rules
  • »10.09.08 - 13:36
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    On my way to install MacOS?

Downloaded Molk and copied it to my boot partition following the instructions?.

But I suppose there are some more things I got to do right?

Should I create a nerw partition for the MacOS?

I suppose that MacOS will need to e installed ?of course-, so how should I guide Molk to search the DVD on my Peg and start the installation?

It is MacOS X tiger that works with Molk right?

If all these sounds a little boring for you to be answered I wonder if there is any guide around of how to make MacOS work using Molk? I am ready to read and practice.

Spread some light to the Molk / MacOS case.

Thanks.

Chris

Ps. MorphOS 2.1 rules!
  • »10.09.08 - 13:39
    Profile Visit Website