JPEG datatype
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    hi all,

is there a way to speedup MorphOS datatypes rapidly? i mean, i have lots of 8-10 mpix jpeg files, and displaying such large jpeg files (2-4 megs each) is awfully slow (1 per 3 secs or so), i'd love to get some high speed jpeg rendering, is this possible? imo peg2/g4 is fast enough to decompress such jpeg file in fraction of second...

thanks for any advices.

bye, MarK.
  • »06.04.08 - 13:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    datatypes use libjpeg so speed should be the same in all loaders using this lib (like my reggae class, ibrowse or kiero's showgirls)

[ Edited by zukow on 2008/4/6 14:17 ]
  • »06.04.08 - 14:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • mk
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    mk
    akLJPG datatype /prefs:

Dithermode: -> None
    DCT Decoding: -> Fast Integer
    Fancy Upsampling: -> off
    Color Quantizing: -> Fast
    Image Scaling: -> 1, 2 or 3
  • »06.04.08 - 14:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    With such large images there are more bottlenecks than just decoding it, if it's scaled to match screen there's an obvious slowdown, and if it's not the transfer to gfxmem will slow it down as well...

Anyway, without MorphOS 2.0 you should see speedups in several areas for things such as this with a G4, f.ex. scaling in both Ambient and ShowGirls are AltiVec-optimized, and even jpeg-decoding in itself is. There are also various other ways the system in general will benefit from a G4.

However if you were looking for something to speed things up right now I suppose the other tips you got is as good as any.

- CISC
  • »06.04.08 - 16:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

CISC wrote:

With such large images there are more bottlenecks than just decoding it

Very true. You are talking about a huge amount of information here. Even decodified, moving it along is quite a task.

Quote:

scaling in both Ambient and ShowGirls are AltiVec-optimized, and even jpeg-decoding in itself is. There are also various other ways the system in general will benefit from a G4.

Mmm... Sexy... Pity that finding Altivec hardware is so hard now. Perhaps finding a MacMini is easier than a G4 Pegasos. Genesi, roll on that Efika 8610!
  • »08.04.08 - 08:13