Making music with MorphOS
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Any musician out there using MorphOS? Recently, I felt curiosity again about making music. My last tracker experience was with Oktalyzer and OctaMED, back in the Amiga 1000 days...
    I think DigiBooster is the first option. I've downloaded freeware version 1.17, but I need an instrument pack. Can anyone here help me with this? Free instrument packs are not wasy to find, and I guess that I would have to convert formats.
    Are there any other tracker options? I saw SchismTracker, but looks way too oldschool. How about the "pro" version of DigiBooster, which is commercial? People seem quite unhappy at the vendor's forum, development has stalled a lot...
  • »18.01.08 - 10:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hi.

i am using digibooster2.18 now but 2.21 is working too - with digiboasterloader. you can use the dsp effects, open as many channels as you want - its the best tracker experience you can get on any amiga-like system. digibooster is still rocks!

milkytracker for os4 is also works with os4emu - well, kinda.. you can listen music with it (mod, xm) but is unusable for creating music (latency way too high fe.)

digibooster can load mp3's as sample, and of course can read wav and aiff samples. there are many many of them on the web.

forget the freeware digibooster 1.17, its crap and unusable under mos. get the newest db and digiboosterloader and go make some hit!:)
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »18.01.08 - 11:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    You forgot hivelytracker(68k). It's nice and stable. If you like ahx tunes you would be happy with hvl :). HVL was my first attempt in making music. Mhm, i spend whole day on it, and my first tune is almost ready :). You can try play with BarsnPipes, but i don't know how it works.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »18.01.08 - 12:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Thankyou for the information, I will try both options you mention.
    What about the instrument pack? Where can I download one?
  • »18.01.08 - 13:39
  • tom
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    On the site of Alfred Faust you can find B&Pipes, especially for the Pegasos. It works on the Pegasos, but not as stable as on my A1200. But it is really fasssst.
    It has lot of tools and if you have questions you can always ask the programmer Alfred. He is very willingly to help.

regards Tom

http://www.alfred-j-faust.de/

[ Edited by tom on 2008/1/18 17:00 ]
  • »18.01.08 - 15:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    bars n pipes is a pure midi program as far as i know. you need external soundbanks/synths to make music and get sound.
    does bnp work with the pegasos' midi/gameport anyway?

about the instrument packs: google for them! there are plenty of site providing free samples/packs (although i never used them). maybe there are some for download on the offical digibooster site too.
    you can get samples from existing modules (be it xm, dbm or ahx). you can dowload modules form aminet or searh the net for them!

sampling your own sounds is the best - use the line input of your peg:)
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »18.01.08 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • tom
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    indeed, B&P is 'just' for working with midi, but it is, for me, still the best midi-program I know.
    And yes, you have to use the gameport to connect your computer to your Roland/Yamaha/Casio/etc. keyboard or soundmodule. But the sounds are in that case better then many samples on your computer.
    I for myself combine it with a Roland VS-880ex for mixing with voices or real instruments. Then I use AHI-record to record the whole thing to AIFF or ....

Regards Tom
  • »19.01.08 - 16:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sounds nice.
    so your setup looks like: roland<->pega's midiport + roland's line out ->page's line in, bnp is playing the music and at the same time you record it with ahi-record?
    is this stable?
    too bad you cant handle samples in bnp, that would be the best.

maybe you can share someof your songs with us?:)
    what kind of music you make?
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »19.01.08 - 17:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I can't make DigiBooster 2.21 demoversion work, nor the newer beta version, which is told to be "for MorphOS" also.
    The main screen loads, and it seems to work. But then, I click "Disk Ops", "Load module", select the sample song included, press OK and... DigiBooster drops dead, with no error message whatsoever. It stops responding to mouse and keyboard events.
    I've checked that I have the required libraries (in MOSSYS:), any ideas?
    By the way, the older 1.17 full version doesn't even start.
  • »21.01.08 - 09:09
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    and do You have the digibooster loader? it's required for the MorphOS... here it works well enough.

bye, MarK.
  • »21.01.08 - 09:31
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    Here's the download link to "digibooster loader": http://binaryriot.org/users/jacadcaps/DBProHelper.lha
  • »21.01.08 - 09:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    "By the way, the older 1.17 full version doesn't even start." - off course, its a really old version tied to the original amig achipset. its not even use ahi:)

as been said before, you need digiboosterhelper for mos.
    but you need to install digib. with the installhelper otherwise it wont work!
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »21.01.08 - 13:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

MarK wrote:
    and do You have the digibooster loader?

Ouch! Knew nothing about it! I'll go get it. Gelb, saddam, thankyou very much for the tip, it wasn't obvious at start.

[ Edited by jcmarcos on 2008/1/21 14:40 ]
  • »21.01.08 - 13:34
  • tom
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    Well, let's say that most of the time I record with my Roland VE880ex and mix it on the same Roland till i'm satisfied and then the last step is to record again as AIFF with AHI-Record and save or burn it. I'm a choir-director and in this way we can study new works in a fast way. So B&P->Roland, voices and real instruments->Roland and the the whole mix with AHI-Record to my Pegasos.

(BTW JS Bach is my music hero)

Regards Tom
  • »21.01.08 - 17:52
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

tom wrote:
    Well, let's say that most of the time I record with my Roland VE880ex and mix it on the same Roland till i'm satisfied and then the last step is to record again as AIFF with AHI-Record and save or burn it. I'm a choir-director and in this way we can study new works in a fast way. So B&P->Roland, voices and real instruments->Roland and the the whole mix with AHI-Record to my Pegasos.

(BTW JS Bach is my music hero)

Regards Tom

I have a Roland VS840ex. Shame I don't get to use it much as I don't have anywhere to set it up right now.
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »21.01.08 - 21:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Also you can try this:
    http://amirus.org.ru/files/SchismTracker_0.2a.lzx
    This tracker uses interface like Impulse Tracker on PC.
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »22.01.08 - 05:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    he was referring to schismtracker in his first post: "I saw SchismTracker, but looks way too oldschool."
    i never liked impulsetracker on the pc back in the 9x's. ugly and hard to use, no much fun - and it hasnt changed with the mos version. digibooster still rocks on amigas!:)

if talks about pc and old trackers, then i say: fasttracker. i dont know if its possible to port it to mos, but it was the best tracker for the pc at the time (now renoise rulz there). not better then dbpro:)
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »22.01.08 - 09:48
    Profile Visit Website