Questions, Infos and Guidelines about SMP MorphOS for G5
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    OK! Here we go with the topic:

G5 and multiple core CPUs such as Intel Core Duo and IBM Cell (which could be more interesting for us Amigans than any Intel) are quite common nowadays, and even OSW-Pegasos III features twin G5 dual core multiple CPU computing solutions.

So my questions are:

1) It is difficult to implement SMP on MorphOS?

2) Does SMP require a complete rewriting of MorphOS or not?

3) If it is not of any difficulty to implement it, and it requires not any rewriting, how much time should it require approximatively to release a beta of SMP MorphOS? Six months? One Year? Two or more years?

4) Does SMP Morphos should deprecate Amiga legacies?
    I mean: will it be necessary to deprecate things such as the capability of running old Amiga programs into Trance, or maybe getting rid of any Amiga preferences system, Amiga filesystems, or Amiga Drivers???

5) What are the features required to MorphOS to run in a SMP environment?

6) Are there any Guidelines already available to programmers on which to refer to change MOS in a SMP OS?
    Or even any notes or infos or just some ideas on how to work at this task?

Could Ralph Schmidt or any representative of the MorphOS Team answer this question one?

7) How much should it cost in donation funds or thru bounties hired by the MorphOS users, in order to help notheworthy programmers and decrease time before any stable beta release?

Could again Ralph Schmidt or any representative of the MorphOS Team answer this question one?

Thanks in anticipation for your kind interest into this thread and thanks in anticipation for your answers.

Sincerely,

Raffaele
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »30.04.06 - 14:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hm, noone answered these q's... wonder why...
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »06.12.06 - 10:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    I think we had these questions already in the past but let me try a summary. The Quark Kernel already support SMP. To give SMP support to MorphOS we would need the Q-Box. Adding SMP to the A-Box is impossible and/or break the AmigaOS compatibility.

If I am wrong please feel free to correct me.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »06.12.06 - 13:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @djbase: thx. i see guess... is it means its unlikely to see morphos on the pegIII then?

it seems i really dont understand this q-box/abox thing. i see that everything running in mos now is running in the abox. that means if we want to use qbox we have to use a completly new desktop, librarys, and everything writing from scratch? there is no way to use q-box (its advanced features) and abox at the same time in the same env.? or do i miss the point completly?:)

[ Edited by sadddam on 2006/12/6 15:15 ]
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »06.12.06 - 14:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    MorphOS can run on Dual CPU or Dual Core Systems but without any advantage. It would just use one CPU/Core.

The idea was to move everything from A/Box to Q/Box and keep the A/Box only for old apps for compability reasons. The A/Box would run then as a task within the Q/Box. But for now we have only the A/Box.

There was a paper these days where everything was explained but can't find it right now.

[ Edited by DJBase on 2006/12/7 0:27 ]
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »06.12.06 - 23:26
    Profile Visit Website