What AltiVec can do for us?
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I invite people interested in AltiVec programming and digital signal processing to read my two lately published papers about efficient implementations of FIR filters on AltiVec unit. 7447 processor installed in our Pegasoses has been made by me to make 5 GFLOPS (floating point filter) or 13 GIPS (integer 16-bit filter) while filtering audio signals. Compare it to the performance of carefully optimized scalar versions (AltiVec code is 5 times faster for floating point filter and 14 times faster (!) for integer filter). I can filter at least 24 channels of CD quality sound with 512-taps filter in realtime. The results described in the paper are implemented in Reggae. Here are the papers:

Fast FIR Filters for SIMD Processors With Limited Memory Bandwidth published on XI Symposium AES "New Trends in Audio and Video" in Bialystok, September 21st 2006.

Performance Analysis of Alternative Structures for 16-bit Integer FIR Filter Implemented on AltiVec SIMD Processing Unit published on IEEE Workshop of Signal Processing in Poznan, September 29th 2006.
  • »02.10.06 - 16:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

What AltiVec can do for us?

Nothing, as long as we don't have access to an AltiVec-enabled kernel.

But I'm still happy to hear about these impressive speed improvements you get :) So will every other MOS "user"...

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2006/10/2 18:14 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »02.10.06 - 20:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Well, there's not that much using Reggae yet, so for now this is just nice for developers to know that they should be using Reggae ASAP. :-)
  • »02.10.06 - 20:18
    guruman
    Reggae seems to be a really interesting project indeed.

Anyway, it's really nice to read MorphOS mentioned in an IEEE paper. Congratulations to Krashan for his publications. And for actually getting MorphOS somewhere. Let's hope we can enjoy Ativec accelerated routines soon(ish).

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »03.10.06 - 21:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    well done Krashan ! Reggae is clearly a component that could make MorphOS a true modern OS with efficient and stunning apps. I cross my fingers that some devs will dive into it and make something out of it.
  • »03.10.06 - 21:47