MilkyTracker OS4 running fine with OS4 EMU
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    The nice Milkytracker was ported to OS4. The nice news fr us is it's running fine on MOS with OS4 EMU.

I'm Happy today ;-)

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?function=browse&cat=audio/tracker/milky

PS: Have bad colors on 24 bit screen mode.
    Colors are write on 15/16 bit screen mode

[ Edited by serge on 2006/9/21 20:49 ]
  • »21.09.06 - 20:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    "PS: Have bad colors on 24 bit screen mode."

ah, thats why! good to know, thx:)

do you know how can i choose a 16bit mode for milky without changing the ambient destop to 16 bit? when i choose the full screen option it opens a 24 bit screen for itself.
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »21.09.06 - 20:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    ModePro?
  • »21.09.06 - 23:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Since it uses SDL there is no way to choose a screenmode. ModePro (like Henes suggested) is only way.

Edit: Ok, according to authors MilkyTracker doesn't support BGRA pixel format. No way to make it have proper colours atm.

[ Edited by itix on 2006/9/22 14:29 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »22.09.06 - 11:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    There's no OS4 compatible gfx card that uses BGRA?
  • »22.09.06 - 14:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    yup, thats what i heard also.

modepro and newmode doesnt work.

the only way is to get proper colors is to set ambient 16 bit before start milky (then change it back to 24 bit after usage). a bit annoying but can live with it. maybe there will be a solution later....
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »22.09.06 - 15:06
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    @ikir
    Quote:

Edit: Ok, according to authors MilkyTracker doesn't support BGRA pixel format. No way to make it have proper colours atm.

Wrong ;)

The author of the port of MilkyTracker to AOS4 (Varthall/UpRough) was at Pianeta Amiga today. He seemed quite happy that the tracker worked in MOS with OS4Emu and told me the problem is that since AOS4 doesn't have 24bit screenmodes, he didn't support such depth in his effort. However:

a) Varthall told me how to get the right colors on a 24 bit screen with this release. Simply change the script that launches MilkyTracker to
    milkytracker_aos4 -bpp 16 >nil:

b) he said he'll release soon (already working on it at the sow if he finds time) an updated version with support for 24bit screens. Since AOS4 doesn't support this depth, that's just for MorphOS users.

Hats off to Varthall.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »24.09.06 - 01:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

The author of the port of MilkyTracker to AOS4 (Varthall/UpRough) was at Pianeta Amiga today. He seemed quite happy that the tracker worked in MOS with OS4Emu and told me the problem is that since AOS4 doesn't have 24bit screenmodes, he didn't support such depth in his effort. However:

Erm... it cant be possible that OS4 supports only 16bit modes at max :-) He probably meant packed modes where 24bit mode is truly 24bit mode (3 bytes, i.e. packed) but MorphOS really defaults to 32bit mode. When someone says he is running Ambient on 24bit screen it very likely is running on 32bit screen. It is just 32bit modes needing fixing, though some users do have packed 24bit modes in use.
  • »24.09.06 - 10:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    from what varthall say to me e guruman yesterday, OS4 supports only 16 bpp or 32 bpp, not 24 bpp (i dunno why)
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »24.09.06 - 10:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    probably because AmigaOS4 uses P96.Anyway MT works almost well even on MOS for PowerUP and os4emu at 16bit. (speed apart of course)
  • »24.09.06 - 12:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    it is NOt running fine, neither on OS4 nor MOS. I took it as a fantastic opportunity to be able to rework some old 44khz xm tunes i made in the late 90's (with FT2). Unfortunately i cannot even play or records two notes one after the other, there's no polyphony, and the latency is simply too much for live recording. 44khz big samples overload the CPU easily, while it was smooth and never lagging on my old Athlon 500 with FT2.

Am i the only one with that kind of problems ? Milky is so goddam slow on OS4/MOS ! (SDL ?)
    I noticed that the situation is even worse under linuxPPC on Peg. So what ?
    Am i doing wrong with the prefs ? is it a poor port ? or is Milky a loosy tracker ? (i haven't tried it on x86, i use Renoise which is a "pro" tracker compared to Milky.)

Sorry for complaining, i hope it comes from my setup !

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2006/9/24 21:48 ]
  • »24.09.06 - 21:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    it is NOt running fine, neither on OS4 nor MOS. I took it as a fantastic opportunity to be able to rework some old 44khz xm tunes i made in the late 90's (with FT2). Unfortunately i cannot even play or records two notes one after the other, there's no polyphony, and the latency is simply too much for live recording. 44khz big samples overload the CPU easily, while it was smooth and never lagging on my old Athlon 500 with FT2.

Am i the only one with that kind of problems ? Milky is so goddam slow on OS4/MOS ! (SDL ?)
    Am i doing wrong with the prefs ? is it a poor port ? or is Milky a loosy tracker ? (i haven't tried it on x86, i use Renoise which is a "pro" tracker compared to Milky.)

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2006/9/24 21:48 ]

i don't know, but at Pianeta Amiga, on the guruman's pegasos, the playback was good

we haven't write a new song, but we have played 3/4 songs in various format,and all played fine

maybe it's a problem in your configuration (i haven't tried myself)

maybe guruman can lead u to the right problem
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »24.09.06 - 23:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    "Am i the only one with that kind of problems ?"

im afraid not.
    milky is really slow as hell. i played back some xm's made on an 040/40 amiga with digibooster, and the cpu load was 70-80%... (usually 10-20 channels was used) but the playback was fine at overall (except the volume is low, low, low even if i set the amplitude to 4x...).

but. when i tried to write a new song it crashed after a few minutes. and the latency is incredible high!
    milky is almost 100% ft2 clone, its not offer more. it is incomparable with renoise (best music software ever!:).
    and one more thing: the zap function is not working for me. first, it has only zap instruments option, and it does nothing. i recognized a "clear" button, but it does nothing also...

but i can be really happy with it, since its the first usable music maker program for nexgen amiga systems (and ft2 was not a bad software after all (back in time:) digibooster still kicks its ass by the way:) - if i can make music with it like with db or ft2 (wich seems not possible now...)
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »24.09.06 - 23:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I noticed the same when playing notes from keyboard. I guess it is due to how program works.
  • »25.09.06 - 01:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

don't know, but at Pianeta Amiga, on the guruman's pegasos, the playback was good

there's no problem with playback (appart from high cpu load).

well thanks guys, i'm glad to know it doesn't come from my setup.
  • »25.09.06 - 08:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ok, i've found the "zap" function! the ones i tried was for the instruments and samples...:) sorry...
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »25.09.06 - 13:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

I'm confident its your setup.

No offence, but I think you're a bit of a divvy suggesting that it's a poor port and complaining about supposedly missing features that are in fact there.

Polyphonic notes - enable "multichannel keyjazz".

For speed, check the resolution (start at the lowest), and try lower color depth.

Don't believe that it runs just fine? Then how about seeing a video of it running on a 233Mhz Amiga 4000:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN0oJFIpbys

I'm sure your Pegasos can cope... :roll:
  • »26.09.06 - 21:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hi!

nice vdeo!
    but...
    it is a good thing that a 233mhz ppc system can do the same thing as a slow 040/040 68k or 40mhz 386 system?

i was able to play and create music on my 040 amiga, edit the song in realtime without any slowdown (with 10+ channels).

so i dont see why should i be happy that my 600mhz ppc can do it.
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »26.09.06 - 22:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thanks.

I am fully aware that I can use a native Amiga tracker and make music with 10 or more channels using the slower 68k processor in realtime - this video was made just to prove that MilkyTracker will run, nothing more.

MilkyTracker was not made with raw speed and compatibility with old and slow computers in mind. It's aimed at higher-end modern computers and at portability rather than performance - completely disregard the fact that complex tracking can be done with low CPU power.

Hence it is just a nice surprise that it runs on my old machine, not to mention play smoothly. That's all.

I won't use MilkyTracker on my Amiga for everyday work - I will use an Amiga tracker, or just MilkyTracker on my PC.

:-)

[ Edited by d0pefish on 2006/9/26 23:42 ]
  • »27.09.06 - 00:39
  • Just looking around
    pailes
    Please don't compare oldschool trackers written in assembly directly accessing hardware to render 4/8bit GUIs to MilkyTracker. To ensure portability the GUI subsystem of MilkyTracker uses the lowest common denominator between all existing platforms, which is plain non-accelerated offscreen software rendering in 16/24/32 bits color which is way more CPU overhead than you might think. The mixer itself is not very demanding, most of the CPU time is spent width rendering of the GUI. Of course MilkyTracker can be further optimized for a special platform but this has not been done yet.

Also stability is very good with win32/osx/linux. If you experience crashes with the AOS4 port report back and help to improve the port. Thanks.

[ Edited by pailes on 2006/9/27 19:58 ]
  • »27.09.06 - 09:19
    Profile Visit Website