Boot from SFS, or hide boot.img partition?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    motorollin
    Hi all

Why does MorphOS' boot.img have to be on an FFS partition when SmartFirmware can see the contents of SFS partitions? Is it not possible for boot.img to live on an SFS partition? If not, is there any way to hide the FFS Images partition from Ambient so it doesn't show up?

--
    moto
  • »05.09.06 - 08:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

If not, is there any way to hide the FFS Images partition from Ambient so it doesn't show up?

Not in Ambient SE from MorphOS CD. Newer Ambients have 'Put Away' for drive icons (hide from a desktop).
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »05.09.06 - 08:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Well, if you have a newer Firmware (which seems to be the case for you) which can acces sfs Partitons, it
    is no problem to also boot from such partitons (those partitons need iirc Blocksize 512 or so, but as you can
    allready use it with your Firmware, it seems to be ok). The Limitation was for older SF, which wheren't able
    to read sfs. I advise you however to keep a small Bootimage Partiton nevertheless. Think if you wanna try Linux or
    Frostworks mini Gentoo Bootimages Molk and this UAE thingy and so on, you might want to store that stuff on a central
    place which is not your usual boot partition. You can also hide such an Image Partiton if you need to (Personally I don't feel
    disturbed by mine ;) ) As Itix said with Ambient SE not possible, however you can simply disable the mount option in
    SCSI Config, so the partiton is not mounted at boottime. Note that you need to remount said partiton if you want to install
    other boot stuff or newer boot.image
  • »05.09.06 - 09:07
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    motorollin
    Thanks for the replies I see your point about wanting to use other boot images. I'll keep the FFS partition and update Ambient so I can "put away" the icon.

How do I clean up and snapshot the Ambient volume icons? I can't find an option anywhere which is extremely annoying.

--
    moto
  • »05.09.06 - 09:31
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Quote:

You can also hide such an Image Partiton if you need to. ... however you can simply disable the mount option in SCSI Config, so the partiton is not mounted at boottime. Note that you need to remount said partiton if you want to install
    other boot stuff or newer boot.image

An Code:
    assign dismount mydevice
    in your user-startup should do the job, too, I think.
  • »05.09.06 - 09:32
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Or just "de-check" mount in the SCSIconfig.
  • »05.09.06 - 10:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    or just "assign dismount mydevice"
    *lol*
  • »05.09.06 - 11:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Quote:

motorollin wrote:

How do I clean up and snapshot the Ambient volume icons? I can't find an option anywhere which is extremely annoying.

--
    moto

You can snapshot icons with the latest Ambient builds, go to the Ambient homepage and look for nightly builds. You do need MUI alpha 4 which you can download here.

Another option is Scalos.

~toto

[ Edited by Toto on 2006/9/5 11:59 ]
  • »05.09.06 - 11:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

How do I clean up and snapshot the Ambient volume icons?

I recall it was not possible with Ambient SE. (Could be I'm wrong but it is very difficult to remember now.)
  • »05.09.06 - 12:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Quote:

You can snapshot icons with the latest Ambient builds

I think you need to have a real disk.info file on the drive if you want to snapshot. In AOS you could snapshot a deficon and it would create a real icon but this feature is not in MOS.
  • »05.09.06 - 12:41
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @koan,

in fact ambient deals with icon-less drives differently. You don't need an icon to snapshot its position. Just snapshot and it will be remembered (it's saved in desktop.prefs file or so).
  • »05.09.06 - 13:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    motorollin
    Thanks again all. I can't find a download for MUI4 on the Ambient web site, and I can't find it by searching either. Could anyone provide a link?

--
    moto
  • »05.09.06 - 13:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Hi moto,

There's direct link in my previous message.

~toto
  • »05.09.06 - 13:25
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    motorollin
    Oops didn't see that :-) Is there a more recent build than that? Also, how do I install it? There is neither an installer nor an install guide in that archive.

--
    moto
  • »05.09.06 - 13:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    There are newer versions (see this thread) but the latest versions introduce new problems.

To install MUI4 extract archive to MOSSYS: and reboot.
  • »05.09.06 - 13:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Quote:

motorollin wrote:
    Oops didn't see that :-) Is there a more recent build than that? Also, how do I install it? There is neither an installer nor an install guide in that archive.

--
    moto

To install you have to copy the extracted directorys (classes, libs and prefs) to sys:morphos and reboot.

There are newer versions of MUI alpha 4 which are looking very good but they are a bit slow because these are build with debugging on. I don't know if this is still true for the latest builds, I haven't checked for a while. You can find the newer versions on the MUI mailing list which you can find on the MUI homepage.

~toto

[ Edited by Toto on 2006/9/5 13:58 ]
  • »05.09.06 - 13:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Sorry, guys, but IMHO you say rubbish here.
    FFS is obsolete. There's no point of keeping this partition.
    Firmware 1.2 (probably even 1.1) is able to read SFS and EXT2/3. There are no problems with having Linux kernel on root partition in /boot directory. There are also no problems with keeping MorphOS bootimage in SYS:Boot.
    My system is set up this way and i feel no need for obsolete FFS. In addition, FFS brings problems to Linux since kernel names can sometimes be too long for it.
    I'd like to treat that recommendations as obsolete and fix PegBook. :-) With one note: this is unfortunately still valid for Pegasos-1 with its ancient firmware.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »06.09.06 - 08:55
    Profile Visit Website