Is It Time for a MorphOS Update?
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

"When it's done."

Oh surely we would never dream of releasing it even when it's done... ;)

Quote:

@beanbandit
    Well when one see's the progress you make in developing
    MOS I suspect It WILL be the first thing to happen.

I wasn't aware you had any insight in our developmental progress in the first place? ;)

..but I suspect that wasn't what you meant anyway, since you probably know that most of the items on that list is already working (yet we don't release it (we're obviously waiting for that certain item to occur for the users first))...

See, isn't this fun? ;) Nice constructive discussions about MorphOS development (The Flying Spaghetti-Monster forbid you actually commit to doing some actual development instead) and bringing up interesting subjects like how much suction people generate for not doing what you want.

- CISC
  • »02.07.06 - 18:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Altivec, what for ?
  • »02.07.06 - 21:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    @Jupp:

>Realistically it might be able to support at least Firewire hard disks, but what's exactly wrong with IDE ones?

MorphOS (unlike OS4) does not support SATA cards which should really be the perfect choice for connecting today's external high speed devices.

@SoundSquare:

>Altivec, what for ?

Brain, what for? ;-)

[ Edited by tarbos on 2006/7/3 7:59 ]
  • »03.07.06 - 07:57
  • ASiegel
    @ Raf_MegaByte

Quote:

And almost 50 or 100 Amiga amateur videomakers who still have Amigas and want to upgrade to better new Amiga-like system will choose (or have already choosen) Macintosh due to the lack of video support in MorphOS.

50 people do not represent a worthwhile market in order to realize Firewire support for a variety of video cameras. In comparison, a somewhat modern web browser would increase the attractivity of MorphOS far more as this is actually an application which the large majority of computer users needs.

Quote:

This is why Amiga and MorphOS are falling down and userbase shrinking.

No, the potential user base growth is primarily limited by the fact that both do not have software which properly does everyday tasks such as displaying internet websites.

Quote:

What a pity we could make nor any productivity use neither any hobby use of this de-facto standard link-port for video productions.

You are greatly overestimating the importance of video post-production. Even the sales numbers of the famous VideoToaster were incredibly tiny compared to how many Commodore Ax00 machines were sold in total (mostly to game players).

Plus, times have moved on. Video editors are used to be provided with a wholesome software infrastructure that includes a full range of applications all neatly interoperating with each other. Just having one single video application is not enough to attract people with more serious ambitions. Considering the size of the market for video enthousiasts, it just does not seem worthwile to put the required development effort in a competitive video production suite. The same amount of development time would be better spent on a multitude of other more rewarding projects.
  • »03.07.06 - 09:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    @ Jupp3

Ok, I try to explain. What about sharing devices between different computers, transfering data between work and home or with friends? Sure, I can use upto 4 IDE devices internal but thats not what I need (2 drives are enough for me).
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »03.07.06 - 10:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    IMHO i think that morphos is great, the first need is to finish the a-box by the way of a final realease whith all mimtypes linked ....and all the updates in one.
    The second thing is the start of the qbox developement, in order to have memory protection and facility to port unix like applications, if the work on the qbox start we will have the great Os ever, mixing unix like stability and Amigaos responsivness , so let's the mos team developp the end of the abox and help them to developp the Qbox
  • »03.07.06 - 11:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    acepeg

Hi. Well you are right about "abox" hopefully that is going to happen soon. As far as "qbox" goes I doubt any real development will be done on that again... :-(

@jobbo

Very nicely written post. Valid.

@ djbase

If you want to share files with other computers jupp3 made some good suggestions for that.

What is MOST needed imo right now is a compatible web browser. This is the NUMBER 1 thing ppl use computers for nowadays

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »04.07.06 - 05:17
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    Quote:

If you want to share files with other computers jupp3 made some good suggestions for that.

USB Sticks are useless (too slow and too small). Same goes for CDR. Removing the internal HDD is not a choice.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »04.07.06 - 09:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 03.11.2011 - 17:30 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »04.07.06 - 11:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:
    For the person who talked about transferring video files from digital cameras, I did this via USB with SimpleCam (by naTmeg) and a Kodak digital camera. The Kodak (C310) would film clips (no audio) in MOV format that mPlayer would play. It worked pretty well. SimpleCam supports PTP protocol.

Are you kidding? Are you serious? Or just ingenuous?

Do you believe that transferring DV movies from a *video*camera it is the same than trasferring tiiiiiiiny mpeg and MOV files from a digital *photo*camera?

@ All regarding moving files

Why do you try to complicate your lives?

USB 1.1 it is a slooow solution

Moving Hard disks it is fatiguing

Firewire could be a soultion... but why?

We have functioning ethernet. It is the best way to move files from and to two or more computers.

Just set a lan with cross-ways cable and get an happy life.

Set up a lan using a router and get a more easier life.

@ All regarding Altivec.

ARGH! I totally forgot this vital feature.

Sure things like Firewire or A/Box Vs. Q/Box development slide down to third of fourth priority place when compared with Altivec.

Give us Altivec support embedded into MorphOS please!

Thanks in anticipation.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2006/7/4 11:58 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »04.07.06 - 11:56
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

As far as "qbox" goes I doubt any real development will be done on that again...

That's right. And that's too bad :(

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »04.07.06 - 12:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    [Do you believe that transferring DV movies from a *video*camera it is the same than trasferring tiiiiiiiny mpeg and MOV files from a digital *photo*camera?

Many current video cams record direct to DVD. Insert the DVD to Pegasos DVD drive and there you go :-).
    FW is nice, but not necessary.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.07.06 - 13:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

USB Sticks are useless (too slow and too small).

Well, this doesn't matter "for small things" which I said they are useful for (You know, max few dozen MB)
    Quote:

Same goes for CDR.

imho, CD's aren't really THAT slow... And anyway, the only reason I mentioned CDR was to nullify the forthcoming "But every system doesn't have DVD drive!" -argument (just like every system doesn't have USB(2) / Firewire)
    Quote:

Removing the internal HDD is not a choice.

Well, that was "the ultimate solution" if everything else fails - you're not going to transport more stuff than you have in the first place ;-)

And if the removing is the problem, get one of those handy drive bays. Only "downsides" compared to external drives is that it's not hotpluggable, and both systems need to have drive bay (or separate firewire / usb adaptor), or you have to "open the box"

But then again, you don't have to COPY anything (unless you have second dedicated drive for that), so in that way it's damn fast, could almost say "immediate" :-)

Oh, forgot to add "use the network" to the list.
  • »04.07.06 - 14:23
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    Quote:

imho, CD's aren't really THAT slow... And anyway, the only reason I mentioned CDR was to nullify the forthcoming "But every system doesn't have DVD drive!" -argument (just like every system doesn't have USB(2) / Firewire)

Yeah, sure, everything works in any way if you have time. But I mean you are using an OS that was made now for the Pegasos and it still doesn't support every feature of it. Yes, I know, we have no developers, buy a router and when its done.

Quote:

And if the removing is the problem, get one of those handy drive bays. Only "downsides" compared to external drives is that it's not hotpluggable, and both systems need to have drive bay (or separate firewire / usb adaptor), or you have to "open the box"

Well, I store all my data on an external 2.5" drive. So if I need something I can put the drive in my pocket and use it on another computer, at work or by friends. USB is crap if you want to copy or move more than 100 MB.

Also what about DV-Cameras? They have normally FW? Ok, we don't have an app for that on MorphOS yet.
  • »04.07.06 - 15:19
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    Quote:

What is MOST needed imo right now is a compatible web browser. This is the NUMBER 1 thing ppl use computers for nowadays

Yes, it is but thats not the part for the OS developers. I really don't understand this point at all. I mean how many years is it known that the Amiga browsers are no longer up to date? No project was started at a time where we had much more developers. I would say if such a project was started (I mean really started not only talking about) 5 years ago we could have a browser today.

[ Edited by DJBase on 2006/7/4 18:24 ]
  • »04.07.06 - 15:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    [Do you believe that transferring DV movies from a *video*camera it is the same than trasferring tiiiiiiiny mpeg and MOV files from a digital *photo*camera?

Many current video cams record direct to DVD. Insert the DVD to Pegasos DVD drive and there you go :-).

Have you ever used one of those DV Cams tht burn to DVD? They suck and they are hard to edit the disks with. They are intended for people to urn them with the camera and then go to the DVD player and play them.

To edit the files you need to rip the DVD, convert it to a standard a video editor can understand, none wil edit vob files so its a long and complex process. Not a solution at all.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »04.07.06 - 15:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 03.11.2011 - 17:28 ]
  • »04.07.06 - 21:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

usually the videocameras recording directly on DVD use Mpeg format.

This is not good to edit then, because it is full of artifacts.

Definitevely if you want good results as amateur or as a professional, then you need cameras which store their records in DV format.

I hope that in a recent future we could see versions of Hollywood and MOS Titler supporting DV format.

I dribble saliva if I think I could had used Hollywood as like as Scala Multimedia.

This is why I want firewire also. It is an opportunity not to miss.

Also with my contacts I could had sold 50 Pegasos of myself (not kidding) to local private TV broadcast (not national-wide major broadcast) here in Italy only in Southern regions of Italy where I live.

(In Italy are almost 1000 local [regional] TV broadcasting)

Imagine if we could have good support for video productions... 8-) :roll:
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »05.07.06 - 17:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

usually the videocameras recording directly on DVD use Mpeg format.

They use MPEG2, yes, otherwise they wouldn't be DVDs...

Quote:

This is not good to edit then, because it is full of artifacts.

Not necessarily, you can do lossless editing on MPEG2 (ie, cut'n'paste sequences), and for transition-effects etc you only have to re-encode the part where the effect takes place .. as for artifacts, DV has them too (although usually far less due to the higher bitrate), but decent DVD cameras can do quite good encodings (and up to highest allowable DVD bitrate), the upshot being you don't necessarily have to re-encode anything, which can be a huge time-saver (just transferring the DV video to your computer can take ages)...

- CISC
  • »05.07.06 - 18:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Everything would be SO much better, if bPlan hadn't added Firewire ports to Pegasos boards "becouse they can (cheaply)"

Wouldn't it? :-)

No problems with "an OS that still doesn't support all the features of (one) hardware it runs on"
  • »05.07.06 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

No problems with "an OS that still doesn't support all the features of (one) hardware it runs on"

Well, I think you'll find this quite common .. not even Linux supports all the features of the Peg2 (albeit it does support Firewire)...

- CISC
  • »05.07.06 - 22:48
    serge
    I just cant belive what I'm reading about editing videos !
    Why Velcro SP are you talking about this subject please?
    If I read well your words, I think you never used an editing software and you dont know nothing about Video world.

You are talking about MPEG2, but MPEG2 is a distribution video format and not an Editing format.

There's not Editing software able to work with mpeg1 or 2 files. If you want use them, you have to convert them to a video format without GOP style compression.

Video caremas cant transfert video properly from USB connection because this is not the standard. Pictures or videos transfered by USB are just END products with porly quality.

The solution you talk about by burning a DVD from the video camera to a DVD, then use it on the pegasos is comparable to this:

If you print a photo picture from your Photo camera on your Ink jet printer, you can later scan it to your computer to edit it "removing red yes etc etc", then you can print another time it, but is this a good solution? How many time will it take ? And to finish, you have a fucked quality picture. Is this a good way ? NO, IT IS NOT.

So, if people knowing more than you about this subject is telling to you, we need firewire to be able to do video work on pogasos, belive them, they tell the truth. And this is the most pore solution, the most non expensive. Real editing with GOOD quality is done with non compressed video formats on SDI standard on HDSI wich are miles away on quality and price from Firewire standard.

I'm not talking FireWire is so important on Pegasos, because there's a lot of over things most importants, but this is not a reason to tell unrealistic things about a subject that you dont understand.

PS: I'm a broadcast video technic director.

[ Edited by serge on 2006/7/7 8:01 ]

[ Edited by serge on 2006/7/7 8:02 ]
  • »07.07.06 - 07:36
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 30.08.2011 - 18:41 ]
  • »08.07.06 - 01:11
    serge
    @ Velcro_SP:

OK, you never talked about mpeg files, but you talked about transfering mov files by USB wich is just a little gadget, not a real video. There's a lot of little photo and video cameras using this poor formats on low quality : bad .mov, extremely compressed mpeg2 , proprietery formats from microsoft, etc etc. This formats are just videos for playing like childs, not real video for serious use.

for burning dvd's directly from camera, sorry, I was confused with a post from Zylesea.

In any case, you can belive me: only firewire can help us to do real video on pegasos.

PS: I dont want to impress you, I'm just surprised to read people insisting about not inetrest on firewire for video by giving bad solutions like you did. But you are not the only one.

sorry for my badly english

[ Edited by serge on 2006/7/10 8:09 ]
  • »10.07.06 - 08:02