how to crunch more dnet
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    hi all,

i discovered a small dnet client feature... i had troubles on one of my work pc with internet connection, and so it crunched random keys for pretty long time... then as it had no sense to crunch keys without up/downloading, i decided to store the out file to an usb, and save it into the morphos version of dnet... and guess what... crunched keys were uploaded as they were crunched on my pegasos... ;-) so this is the way to improve the pegasos' (or what ever) crunching statistics :-)

bye, MarK.
  • »28.06.06 - 12:12
    MarK
    try it, and see it for your self :-)

bye, MarK.
  • »28.06.06 - 12:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    @MarK
    All completed work units are tagged with the CPU and OS they were crunched with. If you toggle the client, some units will be tagged by system a, others by system b. Previous "done" units will not be tagged by the new client.

You will naturally get all the work in your statistics, but each individual work unit will be contributed to right CPU and OS.

So no, this does not work.
  • »28.06.06 - 13:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    But you can start two or three clients from shell (without GUI) at same time. Usually I had three clients at one moment: one for RC5 and two for OGR.
    Pegasos II/G4@1GHz, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9
    Efika MX Smartbook, Ubuntu 12.04
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »28.06.06 - 19:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    But you can start two or three clients from shell (without GUI) at same time.

And you expect three clients running on one machine will be any faster than one client? One client can utilize all free CPU cycles.

The only good way to significantly increase Pegasos/MorphOS dnetc throughput is a public release of new MorphOS kernel with AltiVec support for G4 machines. Then our Pegasoses will do 10.7 Mkeys/s instead of 3.7.
  • »28.06.06 - 21:52
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    /me wants Altivec support!

@Krashan:

Do you plan to make a Reggae Datatype.decoder so Reggae could have basic support for more file formats and developers could start to migrate their apps to Reggae?
  • »29.06.06 - 08:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:

And you expect three clients running on one machine will be any faster than one client? One client can utilize all free CPU cycles.

Two clients works fine. No large difference between one and two dnetc clients. I know, I used it. Three clients works some/more (as you like) slowly, right. But I think, still usable.
    Pegasos II/G4@1GHz, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9
    Efika MX Smartbook, Ubuntu 12.04
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »29.06.06 - 14:40
    Profile Visit Website