Molk 0.7 and networking
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    I installed Molk and it is working:
    Tiger is installed from cd and now booting from harddisk.

But one thing that does not work is the network.

I edited the file 'start-misc' and added my personal settings but MacOSX, with DHCP on, still got an IP of 192.168.41.2 and a router adres of 192.168.41.1.

MacOSX with manual setting (no usage of DHCP) to my router (192.168.0.1) and IP (192.168.0.5 or 25) doesn't do it either.

I also changed the 192.168.41.2 and 192.168.41.1 in every file on the boot partition where Molk is installed but still MacOSX had those numbers in it's DHCP....so I'll copied the original Molk-files back to the boot partition.

Networking under Morphos is fine (after 8 hours of work and discovering that I need the Via_Rhine fix in my user-startup :-D

I read from other forums that a lot of people have it working. What am I doing wrong ?
  • »19.06.06 - 19:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    I'D like to have your same probz... I didn't manage to make MOLK 0.7 work at all! After I installed molk dirs and files in the boot (FFS formatted) partition, the boot starts and stops very quickly. I set hdb1 as MAC partition (the first partition of the second HD installed on my Peg that is bigger than 8 GBytes and SFS formatted). I also unsuccessfully tried with default molk config. After resetting my Pegasos, I inserted the first of 3 CDs set of MAC OS X v.10 (I also tried with the DVD edition of same OS). At firmware prompt I entered the command boot molk. At first It shows the operations log and then the penguin embracing an apple and as soon as after the boot stops. So I tried editing the file start-misc and activating modprobe usb-storage. Here are the results I got after trying to boot molk, settting hdb5 as swap partition (this is the same swap partition used under debian linux). Synthetically, the molk log shows the following msgs:

1. There are no MAC partitions usable on both Hard Disk(s) installed.

2. On the scsi.device the following units are recognized:

SCSI /dev/hdd [CDROM/DVD driver]
    SCSI /dev/hdc [CDROM/DVD driver]

3. The last three lines of the log before the boot stops are the following:

-MacOS X Boot Loader 0.9.70 [96 MB memory map patch]
    SyncRead: error
    SyncRead: error

Hoping my exposure was sufficiently clear and anybody can help to solve the prob.

Tnx. in advance,

Bye, AKiLL
  • »19.06.06 - 21:22
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dOpus
    Hi,i use two things..

MOL with Ubuntu,Network ok but no acces to usb devices an dificult to cd/dvd.

MOLK with USB and CD/DVD writting and sound but no network...
    I think is missing dhcp server in Molk because i needed this in Mol.

Maybie Next release of Molk to be with dhcp server installed.

I use from months Panther (i have installed previously Tiger but just with Molk works...and i give up) with MOL and MOLK.

I gave 640Mb to MacOSX.
    G4/1GHz,1GB DDRam,Ati Radeon 9250 128Mb
    MorphOS 2.0 demo
    Molk with MacOSX 10.4.9 Tiger
    --------------------------------------------
    iMac 27" 2007 2,16 MHz,1,5 Gb Ram OSX 10.6.5
    AppleTv 40Gb with external 160Gb HDD
  • »19.06.06 - 22:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Here is my startup file. Networking works too.

152.66.214.226 is my IP address, 255.255.248.0 is my netmask.

152.66.208.0 is the address of my network (binary IP&&Netmask).

152.66.215.254 is my default gateway's IP.

If you change all of this IPs to yours, and set up DHCP in OSX, it shall work fine. (BTW, you must specify also your DNS servers IP's in OSX Prefs.)
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »20.06.06 - 00:11
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    >Here is my startup file. Networking works too.
    >
    >152.66.214.226 is my IP address, 255.255.248.0 >is my netmask.
    >
    >152.66.208.0 is the address of my network
    >(binary IP&&Netmask).
    >
    >152.66.215.254 is my default gateway's IP.

>If you change all of this IPs to yours, and set up >DHCP in OSX, it shall work fine. (BTW, you must >specify also your DNS servers IP's in OSX Prefs.)

Above is your mol/start-misc file ?

It does not matter what the values are in my start-misc file. MacOSX, DHCP, always has 192.168.41.1 as router and 192.168.41.2 as ip -adress.
    I can manual enter my ip-address in MacOSX no internet, as I'm behind a hardware router, I use the ''LAN-settings''.

I also tried the guide from http://obligement.free.fr/articles/molk.php and changed the "netdev" line in the molrc.net file.

It is a pity networking does not work as Molk is nicer / faster / easier then PegXMac.

[ Edited by bennymee on 2006/6/20 6:29 ]
  • »20.06.06 - 06:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Yes, it is my start-misc file. :) (Probably that's why it's name is "start-misc" :D)

You have to write your computes IP's into THIS file, and just set DHCP and DNS addresses in MOL.
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »20.06.06 - 15:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    @GK_LKA

Well I formatted everything and began a new install today.
    This time I modified the start-misc file before installing the MOL-install from de desktop.
    Then I did the same as you did, but with my ip-adressen - it still does not work.

I'll give it a rest for now- but thank you for helping me @ all.
  • »20.06.06 - 22:37