Grafik Probs using MorphOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Well, I have really big Problems currently booting my Pegasos with MorphOS.

It started a few days ago, after a reboot, the whole screen went corrupt, only garbage was shown. (Mouse was a big square pixelised, background as well, dunno how to describe it better) After a reboot everything seemed to work again, so I didn`t worry. Then it got worse, Now I have to try up to 20 or 30 times, when i am lucky (like now) I get MOS booting.

The Graka is a Radeon 9000, which I tried also in my PC, worked well, also booting Linux is no Problem at all, works allways. However, when I try to boot in MOS after a Linux Session, the destroyed MorphOS Screen looks like my KDE Session, but splitted in screen and false colors.. weired stuff..

I tried to remove the card several times, put in back again, (with a bit presure) but no luck either. The whole thing is totally strange and I can`t see a reason why this happens. I also tried to boot from a clean MOS CD (1.4.4 as well as 1.4.5) but the same corrupted Screen as if I would have booted from HD.

I won`t switch of or reset my machine, because then I would have to boot again 20 or 30 times, which is a total mess (And I am sure thats also not healthy for PSU and the Peg itself) What I haven`t tested so far is another gfx card, simply because I don`t have another one which works with MOS. Oh btw OF displays also everything well.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease Help me.

[ Edited by Bladerunner on 2006/1/10 4:28 ]
  • »10.01.06 - 03:27
    hooligan
    I'd try to boot from cd without the harddrive connected at all. At least this way you can make sure 100% that your MorpOS-installation is or is not working properly.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »10.01.06 - 04:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    winterhunter
    Every time I edit the resolutions in "mode edit", I have the same problem the next time I boot. I get a hugely corrupted screen, with the mouse sprite being a garbled, square bunch of vertical lines. I then reboot, and everything works without a problem.

BTW, my card is a Radeon 9250, which is recognized as a 9200 Pro.

I think there are still some issues with the MOS drivers for Radeon (especially with 3D, where only half of the applications I've tried work), and will submit a bug report to the dev team.
  • »10.01.06 - 08:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

Every time I edit the resolutions in "mode edit", I have the same problem the next time I boot.

Do you have MUI4Alpha installed? It's known to cause a few problems (eg. missing boot logo, but might cause others as well).

Quote:

I think there are still some issues with the MOS drivers for Radeon (especially with 3D, where only half of the applications I've tried work), and will submit a bug report to the dev team.

What applications do you tried? I've both a Radeon (9000) and a Voodoo4, but all applications i've tried works well with both happily.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »10.01.06 - 09:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    winterhunter
    MUI:
    I do not have MUI4Alpha, AFAIK (unless the guys at Vesalia installed it before shipping the computer).

Apps:
    APoolGL--> "Can't open OpenGL in window context"
    All 3D demos --> "Bad or missing driver", "Can't open OpenGL", etc.
    Mures & Fly work OK. (are they really using HW 3D, or soft rendering, I get a "meager" 60 fps in Fly).
    Foobillard -> works fine, as long as I do not try to change the resolution (it then displays a black screen).
    I do not have other 3D soft/games to test it. Any recommendations as to how I can test it (under Linux there is a "fglxgears" program to test 3D hard).

Another question: when using mode edit, in ambient prefs, sometimes I can get to "choose" the mode from a list of common modes, while sometimes I don't get this option have to "play around" with the pixel rate and stuff (and end up getting weird refresh rates, like 64,7 H).
    Is there any way of forcing it to let me choose from a list (and thus get "normal" things)?
  • »10.01.06 - 12:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    What OEM manufactured the Radeon you use?
    I had the same problems with 3D stuff with 2 diffrent Radeon 9250.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »10.01.06 - 13:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    winterhunter
    @ThePlayer:
    To be sincere, I don't have the slightest idea, since it was Vesalia who assembled the computer for me, and the init screen only says RADEON 9250 128 MB and a string of numbers... Anyway, I'll check inside the hood to see if there is a manufacturer's name.
  • »10.01.06 - 13:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Ok, I plugged of the harddisk, bootet via Bootcd, No Problems... connected the hd again, explixitly bootet from CD in OF, No Problem...bootet in HD, Screen Corruption. I removed then the three bigger updates I made lately, namely Poseidon V3, Mui 4 Alpha and Ambient. Still corrupted. I then backuped my Sys Partition as well as my boot Partition, made a complete clean and fresh install but what can I say, booted via Harddrive, and the Screen got corrupted. I really have no Idea what else I can do now, I might change the harddrive but then thats it. Anyone another Idea perhaps?
  • »10.01.06 - 16:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Another Harddrive didn`t help either... dammed...
  • »10.01.06 - 16:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Maybe it's the Mobo!
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »10.01.06 - 17:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    But how? I didn`t change anything hardwarewise.. It just "suddendly" happend.. And I don`t understand it, ok Harddrive and CD Rom are different Mediums, but why does one work, the other not? And Linux works fine, Just MorphOS doesn`t *sigh*
  • »10.01.06 - 17:39
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    Just an idea: i know one user who had similar problems. There was MOSSYS:Ambient/Ambient corrupted. He replaced it and everything was ok.
  • »10.01.06 - 19:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    PSD: As I said, I also made a fresh install, even on another harddrive (and changed also cables in the meantime) but no luck...
  • »10.01.06 - 20:00
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dOpus
    Hi,i have the same problems with AGP grafics i get a beta OF from BPlan and everything is ok just i can't autostart.
    Thomas say this is fixed on future OF.

Untill then, use a CD with boot.img on it and boot from CD ,the rest is from Harddisk and the problems gone.

Try this...
    G4/1GHz,1GB DDRam,Ati Radeon 9250 128Mb
    MorphOS 2.0 demo
    Molk with MacOSX 10.4.9 Tiger
    --------------------------------------------
    iMac 27" 2007 2,16 MHz,1,5 Gb Ram OSX 10.6.5
    AppleTv 40Gb with external 160Gb HDD
  • »10.01.06 - 22:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Wow, this is getting more and more strange. I really don`t get it. For the Moment, everything is "just" working, I did five reboots now, and the gfx Probs are gone (Just the very moment i did set up my Amiga again which acts as Webserver and is able to take screenshots from my Pegasos. I thought it might be interesting to know whether the gfx from a screenshot is also corrupted which would imho mean it is indeed a software prob, or if the shot would have been "clean" so it could have been hardware related)

I will test this further, however I don`t get it. What I did was to rename the Cybergraphx envarc drawer, (booted with the MOS CD which worked) booted, got corrupted gfx, rebootet again with MOS CD, named back the CGX drawer and now everything is ok.. (for the moment)
    But then, why failed the clean install i did?!?!
    Strange strange strange...
    (Going to reboot now again)
  • »13.01.06 - 16:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Ok, it now happend again. And dunno why.
    This time I made a Screenshot using my Arexx Webserver,
    and only a blank white picture was made. So it seems that it is indeed Software related, right? I mean, if it was the hardware, at least a screenshot should have been made correctly? Or am I asuming wrong here?
    However, it seems as if deleting the cybergraphx drawer in envarc helped again.. *sigh*
  • »13.01.06 - 18:26
  • Doc
  • Just looking around
    Doc
    OK, this sounds a lot like the trouble I'm having with a Radeon 9100 (133-P14901-53) on a G4 Pegasos-II with SF v1.2. I was looking for a similar situation and hopefully a fix before I started a new thread.

The system, which I just bought second-hand, runs fine with an 8MB SIS6326 card. It boots, runs and installs from the MorphOSBoot v1.4.5 CD with no problems, but booting from the hard disk brings up a corrupted screen 95% of the time.

In trying to get some useful boot-time information I set "diag-switch?" to true in OF, and that fixed the problem. If I set diags to false, I boot to a corrupted screen. It's very consistent.

So, I have no clue why the problem's happening, but you might try this for a cheap workaround. At the ok prompt do
    "setenv diag-switch? true"

You'll then need to set "diag-device" and "diag-file" if you want to autoboot.

Doc
  • »02.03.06 - 08:25
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    cbrxx1100
    Hi

I have a suggestion (maybe sound stupid) but is to try and boot with only your hard disk connected. If it does not work try to remove the jumper (it will be set to master probably) or try to expirament with the jumper. If somhow from the above works out, then connect the cd player and see what happens.

Thats it, i hope it helps you out...:)

George
  • »03.03.06 - 12:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Well the Troubles I had got solved in the meantime. I still don`t know what exactly happened, but it is gone now. The solution was indeed a newer Version of the 1.2 Firmware. (Newer Boardrevision have 1.2 from Start)
  • »03.03.06 - 13:28
  • Doc
  • Just looking around
    Doc
    @cbrx100

Not a stupid suggestion - that's exactly what I've done. Further fiddling gives a little more info:

With AGP Radeon 9100 (ATi brand):

CD connected or not and "diag-switch?" set to false - corrupted Ambient display and hung OS

CD connected and "diag-switch?" set to false - hangs at MorphOS splash screen.

CD disconnected and "diag-switch?" set to true - boots reliably.

With Voodoo3 PCI: always boots.

If I didn't need the Voodoo3 card for my A4000, I'd just leave it in the Pegasos box.

@Bladerunner

What version OF fixed this, and who do I contact to get it?

As it is, I'm beginning to wonder whether my 230W PSU is the culprit. I know that the Radeons are pretty power-hungry. I'm putting the Pegasos board into a case with a 330W PSU later anyway because the airflow in this mini-ITX box isn't right for this board (not the problem here - it cools fine with the lid off).

I'll report on that later tonight.

Doc
  • »03.03.06 - 19:03