Speeding up the pegasos cd32-kernel.
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    If you, like me, has gotten the new cd32-kernel and noticed that some games were stuttering and not all up to speed, this might help (depending on the game). ;)

If the game in question is lowres only (if you change gfx_linemode to scanlines in the uaerc you'll easily notice if it's hires or not) you can improve the speed quite abit by changing to these options:

gfx_width=512 (this one is obsolete, you might as well comment it out)
    gfx_height=384 (this one too)
    gfx_width_windowed=512
    gfx_height_windowed=384
    gfx_width_fullscreen=512
    gfx_height_fullscreen=384
    gfx_lores=true
    gfx_linemode=none
    gfx_colour_mode=32bit (this one probably has no impact either way, but I prefer it over 16bit. ;) )

Now you should have a quite snappy emu, but if the game employs any hires gfx the quality will be rather bad.

(you might also want to change the kbd_lang option, unless you are german (kbd_lang=us should work for most gameplay (no more misplaced Z)). ;) )

..I've noticed that any other linemode than none seems to slow down EUAE alot, and I really don't see any reason why it should, I suspect it's some kind of bug (or horribly bad code), guess I (or someone else if you want it fixed ASAP. ;) ) should take a look some day... :P

Additionally EUAE halts the game whenever it changes CD-audio tracks, this can be devastating to gameplay (like f.ex. in Pinball Illusions, where you'll quite easily lose a ball due to this), I have no idea if this is EUAE's or Linux's fault, but this is another thing that might be a good idea to investigate. ;)

- CISC

[ Edited by CISC on 2006/1/18 16:10 ]
  • »18.01.06 - 14:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Thx CISC

I'll have to give this a shot. I have a couple of CD32 titles here somewhere..

:-D

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »19.01.06 - 11:03
    Profile Visit Website