Gigabit useable on Peg2 ?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Hi,
    when I got my Peg2, I thought "Gigabit - great stuff" ...
    But until now, MorphOS doesn't seem to support it, and even if it will some day, will there be a fast tcp-stack, which can handle the rates ???

I tried the Gigabit with OpenSuse Linux and it worked, but I don't like to switch my lan-cable each time I change the OS.

Anyone tried the same ?
    bye
  • »29.12.05 - 18:38
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Coming With MorphOS 1.5 (tm) ...
  • »29.12.05 - 18:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    .. is there any date, when 1.5 will appear ?
    I find nothing but rumours and all release dates are long long in our past ...

bye
  • »30.12.05 - 13:54
    gunne
    Hi Judas,

Its not needed to switch cable, you can have one in each plug :-)

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »30.12.05 - 15:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

judas wrote:
    Hi,
    when I got my Peg2, I thought "Gigabit - great stuff" ...
    But until now, MorphOS doesn't seem to support it, and even if it will some day, will there be a fast tcp-stack, which can handle the rates ???

I tried the Gigabit with OpenSuse Linux and it worked, but I don't like to switch my lan-cable each time I change the OS.

Anyone tried the same ?
    bye

Native TCP/IP and Gigabit Ethernet is part of MorphOS1.5. Both were shown in public at the Freescale SNDF Europe event more than a year ago. This is a quote from the excellent show report at ppcnux.de:

Unfortunately, Monsieur Det bared us from taking photos of the new networking preferences which also displayed a menu item for the system controller's inherent highspeed Gigabit Ethernet device. MorphOS feels quick and good and the still unscheduled 1.5 release will complete some important missing features of the current 1.4.x version.

Quote:

.. is there any date, when 1.5 will appear ?

None whatsoever!

Quote:

I find nothing but rumours and all release dates are long long in our past ...

I can't even find rumours about it!

In a way, MorphOS was left hanging because of the Pretory crisis that struck Thendic France/Genesi a couple of years ago, and even if a couple of welcome updates and add-ons has been released in the meantime, there seems to be something holding back a the major upgrade everyone has been waiting for. Financial reasons are probably a good guess. Hopefully *something* will happen on this front now when Genesi starts closing major deals (like the recent 50.000+ Efika license deal), but who knows ...?

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2005/12/31 23:39 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »30.12.05 - 15:50
    gunne
    Hello there !

I feel MorphOS really have become more useful since I touched it first time. There is still lot of needs of course, and whats need for is; apps and software and apps and software and apps and software ... never ending... :-)

For being that small the MorphOS community is it does really have a high % of good developers, who works with what it seems people feel good and fun to do. Also the bounty system seems to be of good as developers in this way can get at least little back for the work and time they spend.

Whats also needed is more real users, and its coming more users, and when more software is, it will also be more users interested I believe.

I do think they who dont yet have released work they made, have reason for it.

But the MorphOS-team have during 2005 released, 2 (or is it 3 ?) updates for MorphOS for the Pegasos, also updates for the SDK. They released 3D-drivers supporting up to Radeon r280, (which make them in line whats also available in Linux). And finally they also released MorphOS 1.4.5 for Amiga-CSPPC/BPPC including 3D-drivers for Voodoo. Not so bad I would like to say.

What I also see in development/progressing in Ambient for instance, this also seem very nice.

Maybe it should be some list, by New Year, whats released during the year gone ? :-)

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »30.12.05 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pegasosuser
    TNX! Gunne!

"Good word on the correct place"

greetings Cor van Londen from Holland.
    PEGASOSII G4@1Ghz Registered MorphOS2.5 & AmigaOS4.1 1024DDRam ATI RADEON9250-256Mb(128Bit) Creatieve Soundblaster Live! 2 x HD MAXTOR U-ATA133 160Gb 8Mb-Cache Plextor DVDR +- RW 708A 2Mb Buffer ONLY PEGASOS MAKE IT POSSIBLE!
  • »30.12.05 - 19:52
    Profile Visit Website