Niktarix: WARNING MorphOS users !!
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    I just tried the new Linux live CD called "Niktarix" available from here: http://www.ppczone.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=220

It seemed to work perfectly but after a while network just stopped working. Setting eth0 to down then up did not do it. Neither did a reset and a shutdown. Worst: after powering on the computer again, the network didn't work anymore (under both MorphOS and Linux itself).

The only thing that could make it work was to shutdown the computer, unplug network cables for 10-15 minutes.

=> I'm not the only one who had problems with the very same distribution: you've been warned !! :)

Config: Peg2-G3, Net: Internal VIA

Regards,
    Leo.
    --
    Before you ask: I tried to submit a reply on the thread at ppczone but because of an error in some script, I couldn't register on the site for an account... so if you have an account there, tell the author about the problem when registering and reply to the thread with this message: thanks !

[ Edited by Leo on 2005/10/18 19:56 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »18.10.05 - 14:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Doesn't it work after braking the power completely for a while (like pulling the power cord or switching off the power on the PSU (if it has such a switch))?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »18.10.05 - 14:58
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mi-Go
    Quote:

It seemed to work perfectly but after a while network just stopped working. Setting eth0 to down then up did not do it. Neither did a reset and a shutdown. Worst: after powering on the computer again, the network didn't work anymore (under both MorphOS and Linux itself).

I've got something similar after installing Gentoo, but network works under linux.
    Actually, MiamiPing sends and recieves packets from the other machines in the LAN, but can't resolv dns or connect to the router. (Obviously, everything was fine before installing Gentoo).
    Haven't tried with ezTCP yet, I hope it'll be a solution...

PS: Gentoo 2005.1 kernel 2.6.13, MorphOS 1.4.5 and Miami
  • »19.10.05 - 01:19
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

Haven't tried with ezTCP yet, I hope it'll be a solution...

The solution would be to find what Linux is doing "wrong"... It seems it is tweaking some registers MorphOS is not initializing, or something like this...

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »19.10.05 - 08:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    this problem is well known and has nothing to do with nektarix. The pegasos ethernet chip cannot reset after you used Linux. All you have to do is to unplug your power cord for 5/10 seconds then plug it back and boot on MOS.
    Linux seems to handle reseting the network card or chip but MorphOS does not. So I don't think Linux is doing something wrong as i don't have this problem on my Mac with the same linux distro (switching from linux to macosX and vice versa).

someone got more a more technical description of this issue ?
  • »19.10.05 - 10:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Recent Linux via_rhine drivers put the chip into sleep-mode when you shut down, the MorphOS driver doesn't expect that, thus init fails...

This will be fixed in the next release of via_rhinepci.device, in the meantime there's a number of crude workarounds you can do:

1) Power off your Peg completely (ie, pull the powercord or use the PSU's powerswitch if it has one).
    2) Do a hard reset (and say hello to fsck next time you boot (unless you use a LiveCD ofcos)).
    3) Disable this bit of code in your Linux build. ;)

- CISC
  • »19.10.05 - 12:22
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Well, seems like Linux itself is not aware of it as network did not work in Linux itself... (or maybe I had a different problem ?)

Btw, you're saying that init fails under MorphOS. However, Miami went online as if init was OK...

Btw, a hard reset wasn't enough for me... (even several resets did not do it)

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2005/10/19 22:13 ]
  • »19.10.05 - 17:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Well, your problem is obviously something else, as you say it just stopped working while running, and then only a full poweroff will do to reset the chip into a known state...

- CISC
  • »19.10.05 - 17:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Motosampy
    This problem does not exist with ezTcp, I can use dhcp on Linux and reboot to MOS and network works fine. I had the problem with Genesis and Miami - the solution was to use same static ip address on both Linux and MOS.
  • »19.10.05 - 20:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

CISC wrote:
    Recent Linux via_rhine drivers put the chip into sleep-mode when you shut down, the MorphOS driver doesn't expect that, thus init fails...

This will be fixed in the next release of via_rhinepci.device, in the meantime there's a number of crude workarounds you can do:

1) Power off your Peg completely (ie, pull the powercord or use the PSU's powerswitch if it has one).
    2) Do a hard reset (and say hello to fsck next time you boot (unless you use a LiveCD ofcos)).
    3) Disable this bit of code in your Linux build. ;)

The Linux driver does something like this on init:

Quote:

writeb(readb(ioaddr + StickyHW) & 0xFC, ioaddr + StickyHW);

It just clears bits 0x03.

I would suggest to use pciwrite to do the same thing in the start-up sequence as a temporary fix.

You could also do this into an OFW/Forth script.

I hope it could be helpful
    Bye
    Nico
    It may be less rude ;-)
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »20.10.05 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    NicoPPC: how would you use pciwrite to do the same thing as the linux driver ? Any example so that any newbie can copy & paste in startup-sequence ?

Leo.
  • »21.10.05 - 03:00
    Profile Visit Website