Big trouble with my Peggy2
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    I'm not be able to boot my Peg. I' ve reinstalled 1.4.2 but no signs of life. The booting frezzing on Quark/OpenFirmware. I can only boot from cd.
    I tryed to put "wait1" on startup-sequence with no result.
    Itryed to use scsi config and repartionating the hd but no change! What' happen? Is there a holy man who help me?

Ossian1961
  • »31.08.05 - 20:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Did it work fine before, but then it suddenly stopped? Did you change/alter something prior to this? Tell us more!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »31.08.05 - 20:26
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    It happened to me as soon as I bought my Pegasos II. Solution was to use another hard drive. As soon as I took out the WD and used Maxtor, the problem was gone.

I guess the onboard IDE controller may not like all the drives available out there.
  • »31.08.05 - 20:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

x56h34 wrote:
    It happened to me as soon as I bought my Pegasos II.

So what do you think of the Pegasos II now that you have one?

Back to the topic, I have the same problem now. BBRV seems to think its my CPU card so I am getting a new one. I get a high pitched tone comming from inside my case. First thought was PSU so I got a new one. Now its doing it again and the CPU card is the next in line to be replaced.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »31.08.05 - 21:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

x56h34 wrote:
    I guess the onboard IDE controller may not like all the drives available out there.

Even if that may be the way it looks to you, I think it's quite unlikely that it actually is that way. The IDE controller used in the Pegasos is widely tried and spread in the industry, and I have not heard about anyone other that has had any problems with their WD drives in their Pegs. Couldn't it be some partitioning/RDB issue with your drive, or even software thing or such?

Harddrives/IDE are pretty standard stuff AFAIK. The only problems with hard drives I have heard of with the Pegasos 2 is the one I am suffering from myself; the Pegasos2 G4 (not Peg1 G3, not Peg2 G3) seems to be too fast in hardware initialization for my Seagate (also heard about this for certain IBM drives) to spin up, so it won't be recognized on cold boot. I have to Power the system on, and then reset it after some seconds, and then the drive will have had the time to "get ready" for the "second" HW init, and everything will be OK (there is a workaround on this though).

But then I also see people with Seagates that does no longer suffers from this issue since they installed the latest firmware. That makes me wonder if these timing issues during startup could also depend on the combination of *other* devices on the IDE buses? Perhaps one might find a solution through experimenting with different configuration of IDE devices, like trying different configurations of master/slaves on one channel, and also moving devices between the channels?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »31.08.05 - 21:33
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    @takemehomegrandma
    Yes, it worked fine till last week. I can boot only the Debian that I installed months ago and it works fine and the MorphosCD. Now, I've partitionated all HD and formatted just the first time an year ago but the booting stop ever on the line Quark/OpenFirmware.
    Now, I'm very worryed. I don't know whatelse I can do!
  • »31.08.05 - 21:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    Ossian: Are you using an 80-pin ATA-133 cable?
  • »31.08.05 - 23:27
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Yes, I use an 80-pin ATA-133 cable, all my sistem worked fine from 2004 til last week then suddenly stop to booting. I don't think my HD has problem 'cause I can boot in Linux partition (months ago I installed Debian and with bootcreator I've generated linboot.img and all works fine till now). It's a real mistery! Now I try again MOS installation using only 1.4.2 with no Linux and bootcreator.
    I'm just reflashing Smart Firmware (the 1.1 'cause I can't find 1.2) but all is the same. Sigh!
  • »01.09.05 - 06:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Are you sure you have copied the right boot image on the boot partition (I mean Peg2 kernel not Peg1)? Are you sure "boot-file" open firmware variable points to it? Is boot partition formatted in FFS?
  • »01.09.05 - 06:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Yes, Krashan. I'm sure on all that. Now I'm going to try again. I cross my fingers!
  • »01.09.05 - 07:32
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Unfortunately another failure. I think HD has trouble in MOS partitions so I must buy a new HD... :-(
  • »01.09.05 - 09:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Could it be that one partition (ffs) is not validated ?
    Boot from cd and type info in a shell.
    If that shows one partition validating give it time.
    (Or format that partition after making a backup)
  • »01.09.05 - 09:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    If you have another computer you should use a serial cable + terminal program to see what is going on.
  • »01.09.05 - 15:05
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

So what do you think of the Pegasos II now that you have one?

I'm enjoying it. :-) Pegasos II and MOS is basically what you seek in an upgraded classic Amiga, however it comes much cheaper than a classic Amiga + all the good upgrades, and basic performance is unreal compared to a souped up classic. I actually gave the G3 Pegasos II to a good computer enthusiast friend of mine as a gift and bought myself a new G4 unit. ;-)
  • »01.09.05 - 18:00
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    @takemehomegrandma:

You could be right. To be honest, I haven't really invested too much time into investigating as to why the WD drive didn't work.

The drive was recognized by the MOS SCSI prep tool just fine. I could partition it and all, however as soon as MOS was installed for the first time onto the hard drive, and I needed to reboot to get it going, the hard drive would stop after reboot right at the MOS boot picture and just hang there, and believe me I've followed MorphOS-news.de guide from A to Z in regards how to properly configure a hard drive and install MOS onto it.

This hard drive has been previously used in a classic Amiga, then in an AmigaOne, and then Pegasos II...so it's possible that it needed some sort of an RDB cleanup before installation into a Pegasos II system, however as I've had another, new 250GB Maxtor drive available, I've decided to install it and it worked great ever since. :-)
  • »01.09.05 - 18:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @x56h34

The symptom you describe (hang on MOS boot picture) can be fixed with adding a wait 1 (or was it sleep 1) before iprefs in the startup sequence.
  • »01.09.05 - 18:16
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    @cdfr:

I've tried that too and it didn't work. Anyways, no worries about that old problem, as I've sorted it out by using another hard drive. The WD can go back into one of my classic Amigas. ;-)
  • »01.09.05 - 18:57