Fedora PPC for Pegasos?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    I've read that Fedora Core 4 came out for PPC. Is it possible to install it on Pegasos? I think we only need a working kernel and init, isn't it? But how? Help me please, I don't like debian :)
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »13.07.05 - 01:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Yes, you only need a custom kernel, and some other custom way to fire up the installer, if Pegasos not supported directly. Apart from that, i recommend Ubuntu. It's Debian based, but it's a _very_ polished, mature desktop Linux. I'm using it since weeks now, and i'm very satisfied with it. Well, it's not perfect, but it's way better than anything else in its cathegory what i've seen. And it's still a Debian, so you'll gonna feel everything familiar, while most of the annoying problems will go away.

But anyway, if you had success installing Fedora, tell us here. :-)

(Ps: Let me guess, you just upgraded your Debian Sid, and Gnome/KDE is dead now, right? :-D )
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »14.07.05 - 05:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Mario
    @Chain-Q

Please, where can I find instructions about Ubuntu installation on Pegasos?
    I wish I could experiment it.
    I have the Hoary-hedgehog version, but still don't know where to start from...

Thanks in advance

Mario Sanzullo
  • »14.07.05 - 07:31
  • Just looking around
    dwmw2
    You're right; you need only a working kernel, which Fedora doesn't yet have for Pegasos. For now, it's probably easier to build your own, or use just one from elsewhere. My Pegasos arrived yesterday; hopefully I'll be able to get a kernel into Fedora Rawhide some time soon.

To do a proper installation of Fedora from scratch, you'd need to build a suitable kernel RPM and then re-'compose' the distribution using it. There are Anaconda howtos out there which will take you through doing that, and then you should be able to install as normal. You'll need an updated yaboot too, I believe. Once rawhide is working, we'll probably do this for FC4, just as we did for FC3 on PPC64.

The easiest answer for now is probably to do a minimal installation of YDL and then use yum to update everything to Fedora Core.
  • »14.07.05 - 10:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

Please, where can I find instructions about Ubuntu installation on Pegasos? I wish I could experiment it. I have the Hoary-hedgehog version, but still don't know where to start from...

I think Hoary only supports G3/G4/G5 PowerMacs for now. So you need custom kernel just like with Fedora. I hope the next version which will come out in october, will support the Pegasos directly.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »14.07.05 - 11:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    [QUOTE](Ps: Let me guess, you just upgraded your Debian Sid, and Gnome/KDE is dead now, right? )[/QUOTE]

Just I got bored of everything is in idiot places and I have to configure everything by hand. Linux is only a possiblity for me to run applications, that does not exists on MOS...

[QUOTE]My Pegasos arrived yesterday; hopefully I'll be able to get a kernel into Fedora Rawhide some time soon.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for it... Don't forget to send us a message, if you got Fedora running!
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »14.07.05 - 12:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    dwmw2
    OK, it's a bit rough but it's basically working.

At ftp://zeniv.uk.linux.org/pub/people/dwmw2/fc4-pegasos there is a version of Fedora Core 4 with all current updates and a few extra modified packages (bootloader, kernel, installer) to make it install and work on the Pegasos II.

Make sure you read the instructions at ftp://zeniv.uk.linux.org/pub/people/dwmw2/fc4-pegasos/README.Pegasos
  • »14.08.05 - 17:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    THANKS DAVID!

That is great.

R&B :-)
  • »14.08.05 - 22:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Leviticus
    Interesting ... Do you know if it will work on a Peg1 too?
  • »15.08.05 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bifford
    ----
    Quote:

At ftp://zeniv.uk.linux.org/pub/people/dwmw2/fc4-pegasos there is a version of Fedora Core 4 with all current updates and a few extra modified packages (bootloader, kernel, installer) to make it install and work on the Pegasos II.

----

Ok, I'm confused. :} I have fedora Core 3 on a Shuttle machine currently, but like the idea of getting FC4 into the peg alongside MorphOS.

Not sure how to go about it though. I would use a 2nd HD, slave on channel 1. What do I download from that URL? What do I burn to cd? (or would it need a dvd?). Then what??

----
    Quote:

Make sure you read the instructions at ftp://zeniv.uk.linux.org/pub/people/dwmw2/fc4-pegasos/README.Pegasos

----

I did that, but they don't make much sense to me as I've never done this sorta thing b4!

Hope someone can enlighten me! :-)

Bifford.

[ Edited by Bifford on 2005/8/15 14:01 ]
    ========
    Bifford the Youngest

My Website at: www.whiteharegames.co.uk/
  • »15.08.05 - 20:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    Quote:

I did that, but they don't make much sense to me as I've never done this sorta thing b4!

Hope someone can enlighten me! :-)

Bifford.

Im having the same issue, I appreciate the work, but the docs assume I know something.
  • »15.08.05 - 23:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    nels664868
    Well I tryed it and this is what happens after I click the 'NEXT' button to
    start the install.

nels
    Ask Dr. Stupid,
    Dear Dr. Stupid,
    Why do we have to go to school?
    That's a very good question. It's becuse your parents are
    ALIENS!!! When your at school they shed there human skins and
    breathe drier lint! hahahaha!
  • »16.08.05 - 04:10
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    nels664868
    download boot.ext2
    burn it to a cd (i used the small 230Meg cd's)
    the command in linux is
    cdrecord -v speed=15 dev=/dev/hdc:1,0 /home/name/boot.ext2
    reboot your pegasos, press ESC key to stop auto boot
    put cd in cdromdrive, at OF promt type
    boot cd: /ppc/mac/yaboot
    at 'boot :' promt press Enter key

nels
    Ask Dr. Stupid,
    Dear Dr. Stupid,
    Why do we have to go to school?
    That's a very good question. It's becuse your parents are
    ALIENS!!! When your at school they shed there human skins and
    breathe drier lint! hahahaha!
  • »16.08.05 - 04:32
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Hi nels, we think you downloaded it before David fixed the bug which prevented the GUI install from working. It _was_ documented in README.Pegasos until he fixed it yesterday. Update your local copy (from rsync://zeniv.uk.linux.org/ftp/pub/people/dwmw2/fc4-pegasos/ ) and try again -- or just do a text install. Let us know if that does the trick! Hope that gets you going.

We will be replacing YDL with Fedora on the standard ODW install. YDL will be a pay as you go option or available on the ODW directly from TSS.

R&B :-)

[ Edited by bbrv on 2005/8/16 12:57 ]
  • »16.08.05 - 11:56
    Profile Visit Website