Genesis Installation for MOS 1.4.5
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    Hi guys.

I've fully set up my new Pegasos G3/600 with MOS 1.4.5 on it, and the next step is to install a TCP/IP stack and a web browser.

I am leaning towards Genesis as I've used it before with OS3.9/Classic Amiga. Is the installation procedure as simple as downloading "gendemo104.lha" from Aminet and inserting the keyfile from OS3.9 CD, or is there more to it?

Is there a walkthrough for this installation, or perhaps for Miami?

I'd just like to have a TCP/IP stack up and running as quickly as possible.

Thanks! :-)
  • »26.07.05 - 19:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Go for it !
    Genesis is your best option if you don't need to have a DHCP client ability.

If I remember correctly I installed it from the OS3.9 CD.
    The wizard and prefs are reaction based. So you will have to install the Genesis / MUI demo from aminet to be able to use the GUI.
    If it does not work right away use snoopium to check if you are missing any MUI classes.
  • »26.07.05 - 21:43
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Try those two links for Miami ... I never tried Genesis ...

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1906&forum=9
    https://morph.zone/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=128
  • »26.07.05 - 21:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I would not recommend Miami as it has really poor network performance and does not stay online in some setups. Also if you do not have a key you can not register it anymore.
  • »26.07.05 - 22:28
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    @cdfr:

I've tried the demo from Aminet and nothing happens when I double-click the installer icon. :-?

Any tips? :-D

Thanks.
  • »27.07.05 - 14:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    First check if you have the installer in C:
    You can get it from aminet.

The demo version of genesi on Aminet is only used to get the MUI gui. You can extract the archive and copy the Genesis Wizards / Prefs icons to your Genesis/Reaction installation and remove the reaction ones.
    Then open snoopium and fire up these MUI GUIis and check if you are missing any MUI classes.
  • »27.07.05 - 14:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Install by hand ;-)

It isn't too dificult. IIRC (cannot check, since being at work) just decompress the lha, copy it somewhere and set an assign to that directory (IIRC the assign is set for amitcp: and not for genesis). If there is something floating around insinde the archive which looks like it would prefer to sit in libs: or devs: better put it there...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »27.07.05 - 14:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    Thanks guys. I'll report back once I try out what you've suggested
  • »27.07.05 - 16:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

x56h34 wrote:
    Thanks guys. I'll report back once I try out what you've suggested

How are things going? Any success?

It was such a long time I did this so I can't remember the details, but I remember that I completely used the MUI archive from Aminet, only the key from the OS3.9 CD, never using the install script but simply copying things myself, getting info about my IP number from MiamiDX (I have a semi-static (ie it rarely changes) IP) and the NIC number (although you can get that directly from the OF prompt), and when everything finally started up without problems (Snoop dos/snoopium) is good to have at hand, I simply used the Genesis setup/configuring tool to set things up. And then it worked!

I know this is really tricky! I'm thinking of doing a clean install of the latest MorphOS and do this all over again. If I do, I might write down the steps as I do them, but I can't really remember the details right now ...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »29.07.05 - 10:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I am in the same situation. When I installed my Peg2 it was a matter of a few minutes to set up the stack because I already did it before and because I could quickly retrieve the missing libs from my Peg1 backup.
    If you are new to this it can be much more painfull.
    Next time I should write the steps and publish them in the Morphzone tutorials section.
  • »29.07.05 - 14:31
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    @takemehomegrandma:

Hi.

It seems that I was missing installer in C:. I assumed that MOS came with it (yes, I'm still used to classic AOS3.9 a lot). :-D

My Pegasos is not online yet as I need to find some time to play around with figuring out what else is missing from the libraries/MUI classes, just like you guys mentioned. I've downloaded snoopium and this weekend I'm going to play around with this issue thoroughly, and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the great effort in helping me out guys! :-) I'll let you know what happens.
  • »29.07.05 - 21:32
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    OK, after lots of playing around, I've almost made everything work. :-)

I can access Genesis Prefs, and I've basically cloned settings from my A4000 system which is now offline. OS3.9 on it also uses Genesis and once I was able to access it in MOS it was very easy to set everything up as I am already familiar with Genesis from the classic AOS usage.

Anyway, I can get as far as the Genesis Connect / Disconnect screen, however as soon as I click on Connect, the Genesis window would freeze. I suspect that the MUI classes required that I've added (as per what Snoopium failed to read) were not all MOS specific, and some were from classic AOS. Does this matter?

Is there a place where I could download all, or most of the latest MOS MUI classes?

Thanks.
  • »03.08.05 - 15:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    68k MUI classes should work (however when morphos version exist you should better use them).
    Did you setup your ethernet card properly in Genesis ? This must be one of the rare setting that is different to your OS3.9 installation. I am not in front of my Peg now but I can post a screenshot later if you can not figure it out.
  • »03.08.05 - 15:37
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    @cdfr:

Yeah, that sounds good. If you can, please post a screenshot. :-)

You may be right about the ethernet. I'm not sure which device should I use for the on-board ethernet port (there's two of them in SYS:DEVS/Networks).
  • »03.08.05 - 15:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    You should use the rhine one. The Gigabit ethernet port is not yet supported under MorphOS.
    Make also sure you have your RJ45 cable in the right port.
  • »03.08.05 - 16:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    MorphOS native MUI custom classes are listed here.

If you copied 68k classes to SYS:Classes/MUI you are on safe ground. I dont know why Genesis freezes though... I had similar problem with Miami years ago but it was a bug in driver and got fixed. Use via_rhinepci.device for onboard ethernet next to parallel port.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »03.08.05 - 16:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OK it would take several screenshots to cover all tabs so it is easier to give you what I changed. It may be different depending on your network setup (I have a router here).

In the prefs / interface
    ether0
    IP 192.168.0.4 Static
    Gateway 192.168.0.1 Static

In Prefs / Sana2
    DEVS:/MorphOS/Devs/Networks/via_rhinepci.device
    Unit 0

In Prefs / Services i checked auto online
    In Prefs / Resolv
    Domain name server 192.168.0.1

Hostname Peg2

If I do not forget anything this is it.

Remember to put all your MUI classes in SYS:CLASSES/MUI

If it still does not work please post detailed information of the failure.
  • »04.08.05 - 01:28
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    x56h34
    It works now. :-)
    It turns out that a small little MUI class slipped through the cracks "term.mcc". After installing it, everything works just great. I'm posting this from IBrowse 2.3 demo. ;-)

Thanks for all the help guys. You are the best.
  • »04.08.05 - 05:41