Anybody success hacking Ambient?
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    I have no Peg at the moment (but this should change) so i can not try it out myself (but i'm curious :-D ). Has anybody had luck getting Ambient to compile? With/without any improvements? Did you need any addons?

By the way any News of MUI 4 or the 1.5 Kernel? Maybe a release Date?
  • »30.01.05 - 11:00
  • opi
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    opi
    Quote:

Has anybody had luck getting Ambient to compile?

I doubt. Some parts that Ambient 1.5 depends on ain't released. Only internal developers can try to compile it.
  • »31.01.05 - 10:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    I don't doubt that, i think anybody can TRY to compile it. ;-)
    As mentioned in the readme, there is a chance to compile it while uncommenting some/most new features in config.h.
    So the question is still: has anyone spent some time to check this out (and does it work)?
  • »31.01.05 - 10:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    why don't you just wait ? ;-)

instead of wasting time compiling something that cannot be compiled without hours and hours of work.
  • »31.01.05 - 13:04
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    well, i am waiting, but if someone needs to kill some time, this could be the right way... ;)
  • »31.01.05 - 13:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    why don't you just wait ? ;-)

instead of wasting time compiling something that cannot be compiled without hours and hours of work.

Its easy to see why he wouldnt want to wait. Most of us have been so hyped up by the talks for the last year and more of the new stuff in "1.5" that somethig like the release of the Ambient code is very tempting to see if you can get it to work. I am not a great coder and looking at it showed me that its not something I would want to try. Its a lot of code.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »31.01.05 - 13:52
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    Wait for what to happen?

If we could get Ambient to work with only little effort it should be worth the time invested.
    And only this was my question. Most of the MOS users wait since April 2004 for a "soon to happen" magical 1.5 release, this strategy did not work out, did it? Maybe doing something is sometimes better than sitting around and waiting for the next wonderfull things coming to you?
  • »31.01.05 - 19:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Using Ambient 1.40 without MorphOS 1.5 is next to impossible. It uses features which are not available in MorphOS 1.4 and to compile source code you need newer system headers.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »31.01.05 - 20:34
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AMiGR
    Well, I managed to butcher it enough to compile with old headers but... It still won't fully build, it actually needs newer linked and shared libs of everything... Which is something I'm not about to get into... It's a waste of time to try to practically destroy some code just to see it running with most features (including 1.2x ones) disabled! :-)
    Alkis Tsapanidis
  • »01.02.05 - 10:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    I did it !!! and it's amazing !!

3D icons, fully 3D rendered desktop (60 IPS (Icons Per Second) on my voodoo3), incredible 3DMUI file manager, TCP/IP stack for gigabit connections, Radeon and Nvidia drivers, TinyGL2 (fully directx9 compatible), integrated 32bt 96khz paula.device enabled, Firewire and USB2 stack, X Server for X11 applications, and ... and...

and boots in 5 seconds !

mm... huuuu??? who woke me up ???? b a s t a r d s !
  • »01.02.05 - 14:03
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    @AMiGR

That's not what i wanted to hear. ;-)

Ok seems i do not have to bother with this myself. So i can now do the thing SoundSquare suggested...wait :-D
  • »01.02.05 - 21:52