PegXMac HD-Installation
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Well, you can have the space anywhere on your hard drive. For example I have a 14 gig partition assigned to MOL, which is divided up into two 7 gig partitions....so yes, when you install Mac OS X it has to be on a partition that is < 8 gigs....but the physical location on the hard disk itself doesn't matter. It doesn't have to be in the first 8 gigabytes of the disk itself!

Does that help?
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »14.08.04 - 03:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Not sure I follow you. The warning message I received did not appear to indicate a problem with the partition size itself. To have OS X installed on a partition less than 8GB seems rather tight. OS X can certainly handle more than that. Is this a limitation of MOL? What if were to use a dedicated hard drive? Would I still only be able to use <8GB of it for OS X? This doesn't make much sense, as I know I tested Mac OS 9 with PegXMac 1.0 on a 10 or 20GB partition with no problems.

Jeff

Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    Well, you can have the space anywhere on your hard drive. For example I have a 14 gig partition assigned to MOL, which is divided up into two 7 gig partitions....so yes, when you install Mac OS X it has to be on a partition that is < 8 gigs....but the physical location on the hard disk itself doesn't matter. It doesn't have to be in the first 8 gigabytes of the disk itself!

Does that help?

• »14.08.04 - 04:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    As far as I know it is a limitation of MOL. Your install partition for Mac OS X must be < 8 gigs. But you can certainly allocate more to your Mac emulation.

My single linux partition allocated (/dev/hda6) is 14 gigs. When I start the Mac OS X installer, I partition that 14 gigs into two equal size 7 gig partitions.

After that, I install Mac OS X onto the first partition I created. It's less than 8 gigs so it installs fine.

Is that more clear?

By the way, the latest Mac OS X update works - OS X 10.3.5. I tested it.
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »14.08.04 - 06:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I understand what you're saying but it doesn't make sense that OS X has this problem and OS 9 does not. I will verify this by trying to install OS 9 again.

Good to hear about the OS X updates working.

Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    As far as I know it is a limitation of MOL. Your install partition for Mac OS X must be < 8 gigs. But you can certainly allocate more to your Mac emulation.

My single linux partition allocated (/dev/hda6) is 14 gigs. When I start the Mac OS X installer, I partition that 14 gigs into two equal size 7 gig partitions.

After that, I install Mac OS X onto the first partition I created. It's less than 8 gigs so it installs fine.

Is that more clear?

By the way, the latest Mac OS X update works - OS X 10.3.5. I tested it.

• »14.08.04 - 16:28
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I have confirmed that OS 9 has no problem with partitions greater than 8GB. This is unfortunate for the OS X side. Of course, using a second partition for apps, etc. is doable as a work-around. I prefer to keep it all on one drive myself. :)

The partition limitation is minor compared to another problem I have-- I lost ethernet! This worked just fine on PegXMac 1.0. If fact, I didn't even have to configure it before. Now, I keep getting an IP address in the range of 169.x.x.x assigned to me. Obviously, it is not talking to my router.

Anyone know where I should be looking to correct this? When PegXMac starts, it briefly mentions using eth0 before the MOL menu appears, which I believe corresponds correctly to the 100MBps ethernet port on my Peg II.

I've checked the configmolrc.net file and it appears correct, but like I said, I didn't even have to modify this with PXM 1.0. I also tried running etherconf and said Yes to using DHCP and then received a "failed" message. Hmmm.

USB and mice-- does this work? I believe I have modified the configmolrc.input file correctly but none of the three USB mice I have tried are working. PS/2 is okay, but I happen to hate the one I've got connected right now.

Sounds is a problem, also. I was successful obtaining poor quality through the Peg's built-in audio in the past but now would like to use my SoundBlaster Live with MOL. Is this possible?

:-x

[ Edited by jdryyz on 2004/8/15 11:00 ]
  • »15.08.04 - 18:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I just moved to a Peg-2 and I am using the latest version of PegXmac 1.2..installed on to a partition. I have no trouble with my internet connection. I didn't change anything in the molrc.net file. My router is 192.168.1.1. Is yours?

For USB, I too have tried plugging stuff in, but nothing seems to work. I think it's knoppix related - it's not properly working with USB on the knoppix side, so therefore with OS X it doesn't work either. Not sure why yet.

I have sound working no problem with ALSA...although it seems to limit it to 22Khz with this version. In the old version of MOL you could comment that limitation out, but I haven't found out where, yet.

Otherwise OS X runs quite nicely on the Peg-2. It's (god forbid :) more stable than running Amiga OS 3.x apps in MorphOS :) (but of course that is a limitation of Amiga OS 3.x apps).
  • »15.08.04 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    I just moved to a Peg-2 and I am using the latest version of PegXmac 1.2..installed on to a partition. I have no trouble with my internet connection. I didn't change anything in the molrc.net file. My router is 192.168.1.1. Is yours?

Yes, that is my router address. I was just reading the output text generated when MOL for OS X starts, it says "Ethernet Interface 'tun-<tun1>' @ (mac address) and it correctly lists my DNS server prior to that. Also listed below are <*> Ethernet driver 1.1 and <*> MolEnet: Link up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex. Seems like it should be working just fine! I also noticed that my router's DHCP client table has an entry with a weird MAC address and no host name listed, as if MOL unsuccessully tried to obtain an IP. The next one in line would be 192.168.1.103.

Quote:

For USB, I too have tried plugging stuff in, but nothing seems to work. I think it's knoppix related - it's not properly working with USB on the knoppix side, so therefore with OS X it doesn't work either. Not sure why yet.

Bummer. I hope the MOL author continues development.

Quote:

I have sound working no problem with ALSA...although it seems to limit it to 22Khz with this version. In the old version of MOL you could comment that limitation out, but I haven't found out where, yet.

I would hate to go back to use the Peg's built-in audio, but I may have to if I want to hear anything from MOL.
  • »15.08.04 - 20:04
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I just wanted to say that ctrl-alt-del *does* shutdown MOL correctly. I just didn't give it enough time to do its thing on my earlier attempts.

I'm eager to try the latest release (1.3) of PegXMac. Looks like the ethernet trouble I was having has been fixed.

Quote:

jdryyz wrote:
    I tried shutdown but didn't use the -h now switch. Thanks! If it is the same as alt-ctrl-del, however, it does not appear to help with the disk checking I mentioned.

Yes, regarding the first question. Linux experts, are you out there?!

Quote:

DrZarkov wrote:
    For your second problem there is an easy answer:

type shutdown -h now

or simply press ALT-CTRL-DEL

Your first problem is much trickier, I hope some of the Linux-expert can give you a better answer.

• »12.09.04 - 17:28