MUI 3.8
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Taerwin
    Hello,

I installed Miami on my Pegaos the other WE and to do this I was forced to install MUI 3.8.
    Are there risks of conflicts with the MorphOS version of MUI? (and by the way why does Miami installer refuses to install if MUI 3.8 is not installed)

See you,
    Taerwin
    PegasosII G4 - 512 Mb - Voodoo 3
    Amiga 1200/603e - 256 Mb - BVision
  • »02.08.04 - 13:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    This is a problem with several Installer scripts. They don't seem to recognise the MorphOS MUI version string. You should edit the script and remove the MUI stuff instead of installing the old MUI version.
  • »02.08.04 - 13:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    I'm using Miami, and so is my son, and I never had any problems with MUI. I installed Miami, started the init-procedure and that was it......

Greetings Tom
  • »02.08.04 - 13:54
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    https://morph.zone/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=128
  • »02.08.04 - 15:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    MUI 3.8 works but lacks many features and bugfixes of MUI 3.9...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »02.08.04 - 17:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Maybe this helps too:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1906&forum=9

in general: AVOID installers!!! I cannot warn enough. Blindly trusting lame installer scripts will often result in broken installs (like now). MorphOS is so easy to understand: normaly it shouldn't be a problem at all to install stuff manually (only lazyness is a reason for using installer ;) ). ANd if someone has a problem installing some software he can ask (before it's too late, next time please! ;) ). A question does not hurt, but a broken install needs much more time to fix!

regards,
    tokai

founder of "The 1st Interstellar Anti-Installer Alliance" ¹

1) everybody who enters: delete C:install#? ALL FORCE into shell can be member. ²

²) WARNING: before you enter this you should really know what this command does! ;-)

[ Edited by tokai on 2004/8/2 19:05 ]
  • »02.08.04 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Ack!! You should NOT have done that. Its like taking a step back to an old version. You need to get your system back to the way it was before you did that. It wont conflict, but you lost a lot of the nice features the 3.9 version has.

To get things working you need to learn how to install things by hand or at the least open the script in a text editor like MorphED and see what it does. If it makes a call to the old version of MUI checking to see if its installed remove that part if you must use the installer. Another option like said here is to ask one of us how to install it. If you would have searched for miamiDX install you would have found a nice guide to install it by hand.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »02.08.04 - 22:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    I have the same problem with the Ibrowse installation;when I have to assign the drawer of MUI Classes,the installation stops.
    Any other way to install it?
  • »03.08.04 - 09:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Create fake MUI: assign to RAM:.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »03.08.04 - 10:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Taerwin
    OK OK - I will avoid using the installer and do it the hard way from now on. Thank you for your answers!
    PegasosII G4 - 512 Mb - Voodoo 3
    Amiga 1200/603e - 256 Mb - BVision
  • »03.08.04 - 14:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Create fake MUI: assign to RAM:.

y

I've tried this and its a perfect solution with only a few needed things done after you install something. You should reboot after the install first. Why you ask? Well because some MUI classes are now in that fake MUI: dir you put in the RAM disk. Oncce your system comes up again run snoopDOS (if you dont have this get it now. EVERY MOS user should have this app) and then run your new app. If it fails or if its not working as it should snoopDOS will show you what missing classes you need. MAKE sure they are not in the MOSsys: dir first. Some things show as fail in snoopDOS but pass later down the list when they are found. If you need to get them go to aminet or the mui custom classes site and install then to the mui dir in your sys dir NOT the one in MOSsys:
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »03.08.04 - 18:05
    Profile Visit Website