PegXMac Audio OSX HOW??
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    jclausen
    Has anyone been able to get audio working on OSX 10.3 with PegXMac? If so, how???

Thanks,

John
  • »01.05.04 - 18:56
    Miky060
    I write here hopeing someone can help me with MOL. I spent a lot of time but at the end I have been able to launch the MacOS X (10.2) installer from CD (useing startmol -X --cdboot). It asked me where to copy everything and started to copy all the needed files on a HD partition I choosed. When it finished this operation it told me: "now I go to reset your machine and after the reboot I will complete (conclude) the installation". MOL exited from MACOS X installer but has not been able to launch it again.
    I tryed to launch MOL from the HD and MacOSX after a while freezes (probably because the installation is not complete..). I'm also not able anymore to restart from CD (--cdboot seems to not produce anything), so I'm completely stalled! What to do? Please someone helps me.
    Jclausen, how did you completed the installation?

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »01.05.04 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    So, you were actually able to boot into OS X? Many others (myself included) have been unable to launch it at all. It does not appear to be accessing the disc when startmol -x --cdboot is issued. I *have* successfully installed OS 9 but have no audio working with it either. I even used the "MOL audio" extension, but still no go.

We have to be easy on the author of PegxMac, though, because he may not necessarily be responsible for the MOL side. For that you go here: http://www.maconlinux.org. Then again, it may not be easy determining who to contact. I am also not currently seeing USB devices.

The good:

- ethernet working great. no need to tweak the default config file

- support for my video card (radeon 7000) in full screen at high resolution, although some 2D acceleration would be nice. This is where MOL support needs to come in, I suspect. Not concerned with 3D right now.

- fast and stable OS operation. I am using a Pegasos II/G4 1GHz.

The bad:

- audio not working (perhaps I need to try ALSA?)

- USB devices not working (profiler reports that USB is available but nothing I connect is seen)

- firewire not working (I'm definitely certain this is a MOL feature that is lacking)

- cd-rom drive implentation not Mac-like. You should be able to drag the icon to the trash to eject the disc! The CD/DVD patch did not seem to help with disc compatibility, either.

- not reading clock data from the Peg hardware? My clock is reset each time I start. This may be a PRAM issue on the Mac side, however. I'm not sure where the data is stored. If in the temp ramdisk from PegxMac, then I understand.

- selecting "Restart" from the "Special" menu should actually restart the Mac, not stop it.

- DVI support for video cards that have it. Seems like a linux/MOL implementation issue. This would be really nice and I'm not sure why it is missing since DVI is so popular now. Works fine in MorphOS!

- HD booter for PegxMac. I'm sure saving the configmolrc.xxx files to HD is already possible, but I don't know how to do it. I have been reconfiguing each time for now. It is becoming a pain. :)
  • »02.05.04 - 21:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    You should be using the 2.6 linux kernel. It has ALSA built into it. 2.4.x kernel is known bugged with audio. I also recommend a SB Live! card with the EMu 10k chipset. I use a SB Live Value. ONboard Peg ac97 sound is software and with programs like MOL which uses 90% plus cpu trashes sound..

I also recommend you guys join the PLC and the MOL mailing lists...

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »02.05.04 - 21:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    mahen
    Here (peg2 G4, not using PegXMac but Debian + latest 0.9.70 mol), I noticed :

2.6.4 or 2.4.25 + integrated audio OSS : no sound
    + integrated audio ALSA : very partial audio
    + sb live 5.1 ALSA : perfect audio

So sound is perfect even with the kernel 2.4.25 but you need an SB Live (a 5.1 costs around 20 euros brand new), and disable the OSS modules in /etc/discover.conf and install alsa properly :)

Here sound works in games like diablo 2 properly :) And sound quality seems better even in MOS.
    xmpp:mahen on jabber.fr
  • »02.05.04 - 23:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Well, the whole point of PegxMac is that you are spared having to deal too much with Linux. Given my past experiencing with Linux on the Pegasos II, I'll stick with PegxMac instead.

Quote:

You should be using the 2.6 linux kernel. It has ALSA built into it. 2.4.x kernel is known bugged with audio. I also recommend a SB Live! card with the EMu 10k chipset. I use a SB Live Value. ONboard Peg ac97 sound is software and with programs like MOL which uses 90% plus cpu trashes sound..
  • »03.05.04 - 02:47