Question about OWB code base
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    rlitt01
    Hi,
    Even though I don't post on the forums. I use morphos ALOT. I write alot of c/ c++ code on my powerbook. Because it's my only visually appealing laptop that I have the screen is small but large enoough to back pack with to the library. Anyway I see that OWB needs updating. I have never been part of a big software project but I can write C/C++ quite proficient. From someone with experience with webkit. Whats a good start to get OWB up to date. So we MorphOS users can have a more pleasurable experience on the BEST!! AmigaNG OS. OWB is a MorphOS browser that should stay as the browser. I look at this as a nice project to tackle(would look good on my resume). As far as on the MorphOS side of webkit/owb. What base is there currently to start from to update owb?
    Regards,
    rlitt01
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.3GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powerbook G4 PowerBook5,8 1.6GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.0GHz Registered MorphOS
    Icaros Desktop 3.0GHz
  • »29.03.17 - 23:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

rlitt01 wrote:
    Hi,
    Even though I don't post on the forums. I use morphos ALOT. I write alot of c/ c++ code on my powerbook. Because it's my only visually appealing laptop that I have the screen is small but large enoough to back pack with to the library. Anyway I see that OWB needs updating. I have never been part of a big software project but I can write C/C++ quite proficient. From someone with experience with webkit. Whats a good start to get OWB up to date. So we MorphOS users can have a more pleasurable experience on the BEST!! AmigaNG OS. OWB is a MorphOS browser that should stay as the browser. I look at this as a nice project to tackle(would look good on my resume). As far as on the MorphOS side of webkit/owb. What base is there currently to start from to update owb?
    Regards,
    rlitt01

It would be great to see someone new working on OWB, or better yet, a group of programmers working on it.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »30.03.17 - 03:54
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Off:

It could be nice to see some more intentions of the developers to do something together.
    There are many smaller/bigger projects, what should be ported or keeping up to date.
    Working together is making better progress. It could be also more enjoyable than working separated.

Maybe a website could be a nice starting point, where the projects could collect developers.
  • »30.03.17 - 08:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

rlitt01 wrote:
    As far as on the MorphOS side of webkit/owb. What base is there currently to start from to update owb?
    rlitt01

You need to start by setting up a cross compiling environment - we're building everything on Debian amd64, so that's what you will likely need. I'd recommend a virtual machine. You'll have to build most binaries your self to set the SDK up, but I can help you out with that stuff.
  • »30.03.17 - 12:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Jacek,

I'd ask you why you don't use Ubuntu Mate on a PPC system, but I kind of already know the answer.
    Bigfoot mentioned compile times to me recently as an argument for upgrading his current FM2 based system to an AM4 based system.

When one takes into account what hardware makes the most sense for our development systems, then the decision to move to X64 suddenly makes clear sense.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »30.03.17 - 13:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    When one takes into account what hardware makes the most sense for our development systems, then the decision to move to X64 suddenly makes clear sense.

Well, I'm doing 99% of the work on MorphOS, natively... but Odyssey is far too large for native development. For MorphOS SDK I generally keep prebuilt binaries that I've built on MorphOS on the G5... it still takes a lot of time to build the SDK there and if I have to rebuild things like GCC5 that's many many extra hours.
  • »30.03.17 - 14:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Well, I'm doing 99% of the work on MorphOS, natively... but Odyssey is far too large for native development. For MorphOS SDK I generally keep prebuilt binaries that I've built on MorphOS on the G5... it still takes a lot of time to build the SDK there and if I have to rebuild things like GCC5 that's many many extra hours.

That was exactly what Mark relayed to me, that the compile times for Odyssey were just too long to use a different platform, and that faster hardware made a significant difference.
  • »30.03.17 - 14:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    It would be fantastic to see OWD moving along again. I've been trying to get NetSurf 68k working and its been nothing but a big failure.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »30.03.17 - 17:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Did Mark get any further with fixing the bazillion things that needed to be done to implement his PPC-JIT for JS recently?

[ Edited by Intuition 30.03.2017 - 18:40 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »30.03.17 - 18:38
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    rlitt01
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

rlitt01 wrote:
    As far as on the MorphOS side of webkit/owb. What base is there currently to start from to update owb?
    rlitt01

You need to start by setting up a cross compiling environment - we're building everything on Debian amd64, so that's what you will likely need. I'd recommend a virtual machine. You'll have to build most binaries your self to set the SDK up, but I can help you out with that stuff.

SDK? Which SDK your refeering to? I have MorphOS SDK installed on my macine. So a gcc-ppc-morphos tool chain is what your referring too? How efficient would it be to cross compile on leopard? I'll try on liux and leopard to make a comparison. It's possible though(for leopard) according to this articlehttp://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler.
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.3GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powerbook G4 PowerBook5,8 1.6GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.0GHz Registered MorphOS
    Icaros Desktop 3.0GHz
  • »30.03.17 - 23:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

rlitt01 wrote:
    SDK? Which SDK your refeering to? I have MorphOS SDK installed on my macine. So a gcc-ppc-morphos tool chain is what your referring too? How efficient would it be to cross compile on leopard? I'll try on liux and leopard to make a comparison. It's possible though(for leopard) according to this articlehttp://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to do this on Leopard, but I will again and again recommend against doing this on a PowerBook - this is great hardware but it's already pretty old and making them run at 100% for hours and hours is not going to do them much good.

Anyway, in case you are set on Leopard, start by grabbing our SDK sources ( http://morphos-team.net/files/src/sdk/sdk-source-20160605.tar.xz ). I'll have to check what exactly is required for this stuff, but my guess would be that you need to build gcc-2 and gcc-5 and binutils. gcc-2 and binutils will only really build with another gcc-2 compiler.
  • »31.03.17 - 12:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Did Mark get any further with fixing the bazillion things that needed to be done to implement his PPC-JIT for JS recently?

I don't ask too many questions like that.
    I'm sure when its ready he'll announce it.

I do know he has his hand full right now.

Re-edit - Sorry, it was stupid to post the additional info I added here, so I deleted it.

[ Edited by Jim 31.03.2017 - 15:45 ]
  • »31.03.17 - 19:40
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Waitsnake
    I run over that issue that it is not possible to login into google with OWB 1.24 (maybe because of missing JavaScript?).
    It shoud be working with OWB 1.25 on AROS. So I wonder if there are any news on the compiling of OWB 1.25 for MOS?

I was downloading the sources too just to see if it is possible to complie them in any way, but there are no informations in the archive how to setup a cross compiling enviroment and no hints how to do it.

Also Google brings no longer helpful informations on the topic of cross compiling for MOS.
    Even the MorphOS Library only links to an external swedish website that no longer exists(?).
    missing site about cross compiling

I think if here are still people with the knowladge in this forum the informations should be published again.
    Maybe an upload of the exsiting Debian amd64 Virtual mashine that jacadcaps mentions could be helpfull too.

Well this is just a thought. Since I lack of much C++ experience I don't think I could be really helpful here,
    but probably people like rlitt01 would have it much easier in the future to try there luck.
  • »12.05.17 - 15:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Waitsnake wrote:
    I run over that issue that it is not possible to login into google with OWB 1.24 (maybe because of missing JavaScript?).
    It shoud be working with OWB 1.25 on AROS. So I wonder if there are any news on the compiling of OWB 1.25 for MOS?

It's something in cookie handling and it's been told to be fixed in the OWB coming with MorphOS 3.10. Missing JavaScript? OWB has JavaScript :)
  • »12.05.17 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website