A bug in OWB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Punkyclown
    Hello All, Is there a bug in OWB which I need to be aware of? Sometimes in doing searches I click on a web page
    and it starts to bring the page up and then all of a sudden everything dissapears and I am left with just a complete
    grey screen and one line at the top of the page. "Pure virtual mode called" something like that. All my open tabs
    are gone, everything is gone and when I try to close it I am left with a computer icon named module. Guess that's just
    the default. Am I using an older version, is there a place to go to update the software? Is thia a known bug?
    Thank you, Brad Hansen
  • »05.11.16 - 18:37
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Punkyclown
    Andreas, read all that, not very interesting. I am trying to open a web site which is now crashing OWB. Are you saying
    that this long discussion was telling me, yes there is a bug, and no there is no fix in site? Can you suggest an alternate browser?
    Thank you, Brad Hansen.
  • »05.11.16 - 19:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Please give us the URL of this website to test.....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »05.11.16 - 19:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Andreas, read all that, not very interesting.

Just read comment #10.

> Are you saying that this long discussion was telling me, yes there is a bug,
    > and no there is no fix in site?

I'm saying that comment #10 gives an answer to your question I quoted.
  • »05.11.16 - 21:04
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Punkyclown wrote:
    Hello All, Is there a bug in OWB which I need to be aware of? Sometimes in doing searches I click on a web page
    and it starts to bring the page up and then all of a sudden everything dissapears and I am left with just a complete
    grey screen and one line at the top of the page. "Pure virtual mode called" something like that. All my open tabs
    are gone, everything is gone and when I try to close it I am left with a computer icon named module. Guess that's just
    the default. Am I using an older version, is there a place to go to update the software? Is thia a known bug?
    Thank you, Brad Hansen

You can check the version from within Odyssey: RMB > Project > About (or by entering "about:" into the address bar).

It might be useful to know what hardware (which system, which graphics card) and MorphOS release you are using also, a well as the URL visited (if it is repeatable).

I don't remember encountering this particular error message (using Odyssey for 5+ years now).

It might be useful to enable the memory screenbar to keep an eye on memory (and graphics memory) just to see if this happens - for example - in low memory conditions. This can be done by right-clicking the screen depth gadget (top right corner of the screen) and enabling "memory" in the list of modules. It's useful to keep an eye on this during browser use anyway, as it does get eaten up quickly (webkit is not very generous at giving back memory whilst running), and there's no point visiting Ebay/Youtube with only 5MB of free memory available.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »06.11.16 - 09:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Andreas, read all that, not very interesting.

Just read comment #10.

> Are you saying that this long discussion was telling me, yes there is a bug,
    > and no there is no fix in site?

I'm saying that comment #10 gives an answer to your question I quoted.

Am I correct in reading that the newer version (1.24) of Odyssey/OWB is using an older version of OpenSSL?

Edit: If I am correct, is it possible to replace the older version of OpenSSL used in OWB1.24, with the newer version of OpenSSL, used in OWB1.23?

[ Edited by amigadave 06.11.2016 - 08:36 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.11.16 - 17:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Am I correct in reading that the newer version (1.24) of Odyssey/OWB is using
    > an older version of OpenSSL?

Yes, you are.

> is it possible to replace the older version of OpenSSL used in OWB1.24, with
    > the newer version of OpenSSL, used in OWB1.23?

This should be possible for anyone with access to the OWB source code and the required build environment, yes.
  • »07.11.16 - 01:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    My comment below in this thread has been [SOLVED] - it seems it's an OpenSSL problem with v1.24 that the v1.23 does not have as v1.23 uses a later version of OpenSSL (that is part of the MOS v3.9 ISO) than v1.24 which seems to be the issue.

[SOLVED] This is not exactly a bug but a limitation of OWB that has made access viewing my web based mail inaccessible using OWB. I have tried spoofing as all the available options, and I have removed all my cookies for the site and started the browser again, but it has made no difference.

If this should be reported through a bug report then I will do that, but as I said, it's not really a bug, just a limitation of the current JavaScript engine - I believe, though it's possible it could be something else, but as far as I am aware it's restricted to the current version of OWB - version 1.24. [SOLVED] - see my topmost comment in this thread
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.11.16 - 21:23
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Punkyclown
    Andreas_Wolf> What, Yes or No is too tough for you? What elistist crap...

All, I am running MorphOS 3.9 on a G4 MacMini with 1 gig of ram.
    Can't find the site that crashed OWB but was not the first time I
    have had that problem. I am trying to find a copy of either TurboCalc
    or FinalCalc and was loading search site, sorry.
    Brad Hansen
  • »09.11.16 - 16:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>>>> Am I using an older version, is there a place to go to update the software?

>>>> http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11670&forum=3&start=9

>>> Are you saying that this long discussion was telling me, yes there is a bug,
    >>> and no there is no fix in site?

>> I'm saying that comment #10 gives an answer to your question I quoted.

> What, Yes or No is too tough for you? What elistist crap...

It was an implied "No, what I'm saying is nothing like what you're suggesting". Nothing elitist about that.
  • »09.11.16 - 16:51