FTManager - "font not found"
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    I've used FTManager to create .font and .otag files for a downloaded .ttf font (the .ttf file has been left in the font/_ttf drawer from where the otag and font files were generated). However once created, Ambient refuses to recognise the font in any size.

The font is Tolkien Dwarf runes (mapped to their equivalent English keyboard layout mostly).

The ttf file, viewed with a hex editor, appears to contain only a subset of the header information of other fonts - other parts are not present (such as no value for kern). Additionally, the ttf file is recognised as a bitmap by showgirls, whereas other font files are not recognised as such.

The ttf font works fine using Wordworth 7 as a testbench.

I've uploaded the font file here if anyone has time/inclination to have a look. (The file is unaltered from the source I downloaded from, and contains no copyright information, licensing, or hint of ownership/authorship afaics.)

Any ideas?
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »11.10.16 - 10:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Any ideas?

I was able to install the font and use it as the MorphOS system font.

It is important to know that FTManager will not copy your new font anywhere. It will merely create configuration files that allow MorphOS to find and process TrueType fonts. Your first step should always be to copy TrueType fonts to your system partition. After then using FTManager, you may also have to reboot for the font to show up in any system font requesters.

Also, as far as I remember, FTManager will not overwrite existing .font / .otag files. If they contain a file path that is no longer valid , you might want to delete them (or specify a different Font Family name in FTManager).
  • »11.10.16 - 12:41
    boot_wb
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Any ideas?

It is important to know that FTManager will not copy your new font anywhere. It will merely create configuration files that allow MorphOS to find and process TrueType fonts. Your first step should always be to copy TrueType fonts to your system partition. After then using FTManager, you may also have to reboot for the font to show up in any system font requesters.

Also, as far as I remember, FTManager will not overwrite existing .font / .otag files. If they contain a file path that is no longer valid , you might want to delete them (or specify a different Font Family name in FTManager).

Thanks for double-checking, I'll try deleting everything related and starting again. It's possible I've tried over-writing after the first attempt.

Windows free since 2011!
  • »11.10.16 - 13:02
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Any ideas?

Thanks for your help, all sorted now, and a little more familiar with FTManager than I was.

I'd specified a codepage on the first page, removing that and recreating resulted in valid files.
    I've also ended up created seperate fixed-width and variable width fonts (I prefer the latter, but system fonts need to be fixed width).

Windows free since 2011!
  • »11.10.16 - 13:25
    Profile Visit Website